Author Topic: OutpostHD Graphics  (Read 49469 times)

Offline White Claw

Re: OutpostHD Graphics
« Reply #100 on: November 07, 2017, 07:56:00 PM »
Yes, that one is the SPEW. 313 and 324 I can't recall off hand. And I just noticed 357 is missing some parts...

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #101 on: November 07, 2017, 11:10:44 PM »
Le module TED (Traitement des Eaux usées et des Déchets) ...
I would have gone with TEUD, but alright :P

Thanks for looking that up. That was fascinating.

Can't wait to see the next set of models  :D

How many models have you completed so far, and how many total are there to do? I'm also curious if the time you're spending on each model is going up or going down as you get more skilled. I assume they take quite a while.

Offline White Claw

« Reply #102 on: November 28, 2017, 08:18:57 PM »
Sorry Hooman, no progress lately. Unfortunately it was a busy week at work, then I was on vacation for the entire week of Thanksgiving (out of town and without a computer). I came back to town Sunday night, and now I'm fighting off getting sick.

Still haven't given up, but not sure how much I will be able to work on these in the next two or so weeks. I will likely have some time off around the holidays, so I'm hoping to get some more work done at least during that time. (Hopefully before then though.)

I do not have a list of priority buildings, so I've been working on the ones that I see in Leeor's screenshots or other buildings that I recognize from previous gameplay. I figure those need doing first, but I'm open to specific requests if people want to see certain things first.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #103 on: November 28, 2017, 09:15:54 PM »
Heh, I used to think I would get stuff done once holidays came around. It pretty much never worked out that way for me. I only really ever made progress when I was busy with work or school. When I actually had a real holiday I ended up finding that I actually did want a break, and have time to do nothing. Either that, or I just needed something more important to do, so I could avoid it by working on a hobby project. :P

Offline White Claw

« Reply #104 on: December 17, 2017, 09:36:15 AM »
New building, yay!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 09:17:09 PM by White Claw »

Offline White Claw

« Reply #105 on: December 17, 2017, 12:59:27 PM »
Aaaaand another!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 09:17:32 PM by White Claw »

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #106 on: December 18, 2017, 01:47:31 AM »
Woohoo! Two new buildings in one day  :)

Offline White Claw

« Reply #107 on: December 18, 2017, 07:36:08 PM »
I'm also part way into another building (possibly tonight, depending on family time). As I'm looking at these...should I post the "old" graphic along side the new, for comparison? Not that I'm trying to replicate perfectly, but to see the side-by-side?

EDIT: Well, when I sat down to keep working on building 414, I figured I'd go ahead and post some originals up here too. :)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 09:18:38 PM by White Claw »

Offline White Claw

« Reply #108 on: December 18, 2017, 10:15:09 PM »
I recognize this building as being semi-important, but have no recollection what it is.

Enjoy!

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #109 on: December 19, 2017, 01:00:07 AM »
Heh, cool

I kind of like the comparisons.

Offline White Claw

« Reply #110 on: December 23, 2017, 01:15:41 PM »
More new pictures. :)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 05:29:17 PM by White Claw »

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #111 on: December 29, 2017, 12:04:03 PM »
I like it. Any idea what the building is? Or what the original looks like?

Offline White Claw

« Reply #112 on: December 31, 2017, 05:30:24 PM »
I don't really remember. I think it is a factory, but I can't recall. Also, original is now uploaded in the post as well.

Perhaps I should play a round or two of the original so I can remember what some of these are. :P

Offline White Claw

« Reply #113 on: December 31, 2017, 07:04:10 PM »
Aaaaand this building. Another one that I don't remember, but maybe a DIRT?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 07:11:18 PM by White Claw »

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #114 on: December 31, 2017, 08:18:54 PM »
Cool, I like it. I notice one edge doesn't really provide a suitable junction point for tubes. True in the original as well.

Offline White Claw

« Reply #115 on: December 31, 2017, 09:12:04 PM »
Yeah. I'm not sure the best way to handle that one, because plunking down the tube into that style looks pretty bad. Next option would likely be to pull that curved portion on the left side around further, so the tube comes out the side of it.

Offline White Claw

« Reply #116 on: December 31, 2017, 09:23:55 PM »
Here's an attempt with the "tunnel" section adjusted around and the left tube turned on.

This building might also be a bit large, scale wise. Not sure though, would need to see it in-game.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #117 on: January 01, 2018, 02:12:29 AM »
Nicely done. That addresses the tube junction quite well. The results look better than I'd expected too.

Offline Vagabond

• Global Moderator
« Reply #118 on: January 02, 2018, 04:56:29 PM »
White Claw,

The building graphics are looking great. I'm glad to see you continuing to redo all the graphics.

Your last graphic is the Robot Command Center. I always thought it was weird the RCC didn't have tubes in the original.

In Outpost, each RCC could control X number of robots (I think it was 10). I remember this because I thought it was odd that the RCC in Outpost 2 changed the pathfinding algorithm instead of allowing more robots. I thought it was interesting there was a helo pad on top even though I don't recall any flying units on Outpost 1 (not that a helo would work without an atmosphere). Disclaimer, I have not played Outpost 1 extensively in a long time, so my memory could be wrong...

If you have come to terms with managing color palettes in 2D graphics, I would be happy to hear some of thoughts on the subject. Either/Both from an artistic and technical standpoint. It is something I'm not good at, but interests me.

-Brett

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #119 on: January 03, 2018, 07:39:28 AM »
Yeah, I'd also be curious to know what you've learned along the way, or having a peek into how you do all this.

Offline White Claw

« Reply #120 on: January 03, 2018, 06:42:20 PM »
Your last graphic is the Robot Command Center. I always thought it was weird the RCC didn't have tubes in the original.

Ah yeah, I can see that. All of the other things you mention about the command center, I remember. And now that you mention it, I would agree with you that it's the RCC. As I was making this graphic, I was also finding it odd that there was a helipad.

If you have come to terms with managing color palettes in 2D graphics, I would be happy to hear some of thoughts on the subject. Either/Both from an artistic and technical standpoint. It is something I'm not good at, but interests me.

So I looked at the link that Leeor put up after our previous color discussion (http://forum.outpost2.net/index.php/topic,5997.msg85262.html#msg85262). The philosophy itself is a good read, but I wasn't sure how well it would cross over for OPHD exactly, since a lot of the graphics in the first examples are more on the cartoony side vice "gritty real" side. Also, the palette itself looks to be intended as a blending palette, vice straight colors. Since I'm building these graphics as models, the shading is all sort of taken care of in the modeling process. (As opposed to if I was hand-drawing, where I would blend the colors myself.)

One thing that seemed to be most applicable was a further down post that included this graphic.

I did work toward implementing a palette (or list of materials) similar to this. Turns out the top row is mainly where the terrain-type colors are coming from, and the bottom row are the "accent" colors of the buildings. The challenge still comes from the fact that the buildings are using a large amount of coloring that comes from the top row (specifically the gray-ish and off-white in the center). These colors are also in some of the terrain tile sets, so it still washes out a bit.

Here is the palette I started with as a baseline, though some of the colors deviate. I haven't tried utilizing a different base color for the buildings, but perhaps I should give that a try and see how things come out.

I also suffer a bit from "creative paralysis" at times, where I tend to over analyze and simply end up doing nothing. So after looking at the palette for a bit, I simply went with it and started leaning toward recreating OP1's graphics. I figure if I can at least get through a round of the graphics, that's something. Then perhaps I can come back and make a second pass to unify colors and other aspects at a later date. At least that way something would get finished...maybe?

Cheers

Offline White Claw

« Reply #121 on: January 03, 2018, 06:57:18 PM »
Almost skipped over Hooman...

Yeah, I'd also be curious to know what you've learned along the way, or having a peek into how you do all this.

Not sure how to convey either of these two points, unless there's something specific you're asking about. I know we've discussed previously about me making a thread with links to resources. Perhaps at some point in the future, we can do something like a remote-pairing and I can just show some of the different elements of building one of the models.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #122 on: January 04, 2018, 01:25:28 AM »
That would be cool to do a remote pairing on this.

If we wanted to spread the knowledge a little wider, we could maybe consider making a video of such a session. Though I make no promises there. Just ask Vagabond how our last session went. We ran into so many problems and confusing behaviours. It would have been horrible to release as an educational video. A tested thought out plan with a trial run would produce much better results. Not sure if you'd be interested in taking things that far.

Offline JetMech1999

« Reply #123 on: January 04, 2018, 12:44:49 PM »
Been a while since I've been here.  Love seeing the new building designs.  I have to ask, does the Seed Lander have to be limited to one tile?  My thought was this: you are essentially sending down a warehouse that has the raw materials for starting a new colony.  That's a LOT of material, especially until you get native materials sourced, refined, and made available for use once the humans arrive planet-side.  As such, couldn't the lander take up more space to take this into account?  Maybe I've got my sizing perspective off for each tile, and that I'm thinking the tiles represent less space than they do.  Am I getting too detail-oriented?

Offline White Claw

« Reply #124 on: January 04, 2018, 08:10:01 PM »
Been a while since I've been here.  Love seeing the new building designs.

Welcome back, and thanks. :D

I have to ask, does the Seed Lander have to be limited to one tile?

You'll have to ask Leeor about the technical details of how he's implementing things, but no...there's nothing specifically limiting the lander to one tile on my end. I think it's more of an issue of scale. The rough scale that I've made for the new graphics is that one tile is about 80m x 80m, or about 260ft x 260ft. (It may actually be 100m x 100m, but I don't think I made it quite that big.)

So while I get what you're saying about the sheer volume of things that need to come down, part of the issue is that a multi-tile sized space ship would be incredibly huge. At that point, I think it would make sense and/or be better depicted as several landers coming down, with each lander either "converting into" or "carrying supplies for" each seed building. The other piece that I believe was discussed previously is that the lander makes use of insitu materials to produce the seed structures, and isn't necessarily bringing down all of the material directly.

All that being said, it's still a game and open to some level of creative freedom. However, I am a bit leery of making a space ship that's on the order of 750 ft diameter (assuming 3x3 tiles), as I think it would be an excessively dominant game element compared to everything else.