Author Topic: Terrain Tiles  (Read 10499 times)

Offline singthemuse

Re: Terrain Tiles
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2017, 10:10:38 AM »
Thank you for the warm welcome! I LOVED Outpost when I was a kid so its awesome seeing it being reworked like this!  :)

Offline White Claw

« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2017, 01:02:51 PM »
Thanks for the additional feedback about the terrain tiles. There's a lot of subjectivity that can go into this, and I think part of the problem is that there's not really a set "theme" for the geology of the hypothetical planet. (Is it full of iron, silica, sandy-windblown, or frozen methane, etc...)

For the blue/purple shift, I believe there's a whole 'nother planet tile set planned for such a view. Something in the white/gray/bluish tile set (but I defer to Leeor). I can tint things more orange/rust and see how that comes out.

Also, from what I've experienced while trying to diversify color a bit, the scale of these are such that adding too many colors starts to make the whole thing look like noise and it gets hard to distinguish terrain shape (basically it starts to camouflage).

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2017, 05:13:02 PM »
Since the 'mars like' planet is the one I'm doing almost all of my testing on and the one that most users are going to be using, I'd focus on something that has that look (like the original tileset). Later we can customize for Lunar (moon like), Ganymede, Murcury, Venus (lots of volcanic activity), etc. I wanted to basically start with three basic types: Mercury, Mars and Ganymede. These offer the range of hard, easy and medium, respectively in terms of difficulty levels of the individual planets. Later on we can develop other tilesets or customize them. Once the mars is done for the time being I can just recolor them to indicate differences.