Author Topic: Anyone remember Ryuma or YellowPanther?  (Read 8148 times)

Offline Ryuma

Anyone remember Ryuma or YellowPanther?
« on: June 07, 2017, 03:51:59 PM »
Hello, anyone here remember me (Ryuma / Ryumha or YellowPanther when I joined the panthers)?
In the case of Yellow Panther, I joined Pannther Clan right when they started. I played on WON only for about 3 months I think (from the end of 97 to the start of 98), wish I could've played more but my parents got mad because of the phone bills (dial up internet).

If someone remember me will also remember that I was some crazy dude asking to go 2x1, 3x2 etc because I got bored of winning on "equal terms" (I designed a very specific construction / tech order with Plymouth on which I could rush enemies, but of course this didn´t work on all maps). I even remember a Saturday night that some people got mad at me, a "random" brazilian with horrible english wrecking havoc on them, surely he was hacking/cheating... it got to a point they asked a guy using the nickname "PINK FLOYD" or something like that to check my IP to see if I was hacking ROFL(at that time I was dumb with computers, couldn´t even fix my computer if something happened, how in the world I was able to hack in an online game in that time is beyond my comprehension).

The other people that I remember, aside from the "PINKFLOYD" the hacker detector, are some of the early Panthers (Red, Cyan or Blue, Green maybe?) I think I only picked Yellow because all the cool "manly" colors got picked before and only Yellow was left. As far as I remember, the initial idea of the Panthers was to mimick Power Rangers and the like, using the colors we could choose from the multiplayer. I don't think someone picked magenta lol but maybe if the clan got a girl. I also remember a guy named "colossus" (he was the only one who could beat me on rush matches so I never forgot his nickname). There was also a "Worg" or "Worf" or something that could rival me too, but I only played 1 or 2 matches against or with him I think.

I will try to check on weekends on IRC to see if I can get some game, but this time on equal terms lol.

Offline Sirbomber

Re: Anyone remember Ryuma or YellowPanther?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 09:08:41 PM »
Can't say that I do; don't remember too many people from WON.  But someone around here might.  Regardless, welcome aboard.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Vagabond

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 11:18:10 PM »
I remember the Panther clan.

Their website actually still exists: http://panther_clan.tripod.com/index2.html https://web.archive.org/web/20040811052026/http://panther_clan.tripod.com/index2.html

Welcome to Outpost Universe. Some of the players here are extremely good, so you can certainly find a challenge.

We have published custom multiplayer and single player scenarios that you can try out as well.

I still remember dial-up fondly. Picking up the phone to make a call and hearing the ridiculous crackling sound and know that I just kicked a family member off the internet.

-Brett
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 07:32:17 PM by leeor_net »

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 07:41:57 PM »
Oh no, 90's web design strikes back!
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2017, 09:18:46 AM »
Welcome!

WON was before my time, I'm afraid.

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2017, 10:39:44 AM »
Hey Ryuma - Welcome to the forums!

I think I remember your name, but seeing from the timeline, that might be from you being listed on the Pather Clan website.
Cyan Panther visited these forums at some point - as well as other Panthers.

I don't think many players like the Rushing games anymore, but the technique has probably been perfected by now - you can try your luck against Leviathan, he used to be one of the 2 fastest players at this (I'd say).

Hope to see you around!
There can be Only one. Wipe Them out. All of Them.

Old player still playing. Visit Spark for a game of Outpost 2

Offline PA_Riledo

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2020, 05:22:00 PM »
YellowPanther - ahh, the gold ole days.

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2020, 01:53:46 AM »
Talking about a blast from the past.. Hows it going Ril ?
There can be Only one. Wipe Them out. All of Them.

Old player still playing. Visit Spark for a game of Outpost 2

Offline CyenUK

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2020, 03:22:54 PM »
Cyan_Panther here nice to see a few names I remember

Offline tigerstorms

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2020, 12:57:09 AM »
I remember the panthers, but I never got in on the fun with the clans back then.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2020, 07:32:52 PM »
Seems the Tripod link no longer works. Found it on Wayback Machine: https://web.archive.org/web/20040811052026/http://panther_clan.tripod.com/index2.html

Modified Vagabond's post with the archive link as well.

Offline RipperKhan

• http://newvitech.com
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2020, 11:00:46 AM »
Yo, I vaguely remember a few from that clan.

Offline toioiz

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2020, 01:20:27 AM »
GreenPanther -- so amazed that I recognize people on here from 20 years ago. Hola  8)