Author Topic: More Random 3D Stuff  (Read 46310 times)

Offline White Claw

Re: More Random 3D Stuff
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2017, 10:02:56 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome. :)

Since you asked...Here are a couple cargo truck concepts. The first is as near as I can figure from the videos (just the front end without the cargo bay). The second is a more rounded concept.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 10:06:06 PM by White Claw »

Offline White Claw

« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2017, 10:09:13 PM »
SCAT! Just make sure it doesn't look like shit  ;)

Well played, good sir. :P

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2017, 12:54:29 PM »
The first one kind of reminds me of a garbage truck. I do like the blockiness though. The second one looks too rounded and sleek for a heavy work machine.

Offline White Claw

« Reply #53 on: June 30, 2017, 10:32:13 PM »
The first one is just the "engine" piece. That's the overall best shape that I could tell from the videos, as to what a cargo truck front end looks like. The cargo bed connects via a tongue sort of connection.

The second one certainly looks less industrial, though I was trying for something more rounded and futuristic, without being completely different. It's a case of me trying to see how much artistic stretch, and I drew the front end out a bit like a scout. I think I read somewhere about the basic chassis being based on each other, which gave me that idea.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2017, 03:35:10 PM »
Heh, I kind of like that last design. The antennae looks a bit odd though. It's super tall and thick.

Makes sense if the vehicles have some similarities in design. That concept does sound strangely familiar.

Offline Vagabond

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: July 04, 2017, 02:03:01 AM »
White Claw,

I would agree with Hooman that the 2nd cargo truck would maybe look better being more boxy than curved. Maybe this would be too much detail, but you could include some sort of indents on the side where the truck bed is grabbed by the different factories to shove the goods inside. I always thought it was a fun detail in the game to see the truck beds disappear inside the smelters and such.

Scout looks good!

-Brett

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: July 04, 2017, 04:47:15 AM »
Maybe this would be too much detail, but you could include some sort of indents on the side where the truck bed is grabbed by the different factories to shove the goods inside. I always thought it was a fun detail in the game to see the truck beds disappear inside the smelters and such.

I like the way you think, that would be some nice detail.

I have always enjoyed the dock animation, though admittedly I never quite got over how ridiculous of a way that is to empty a truck. In contrast, if you tell a truck to dump cargo, the truck just kind of dumps it on the ground. Why not do that over an opened dock?

Mind you, the animation for dumping cargo is a bit weird. It covers over the top of the truck bed, then opens up and the cargo is gone. Feels like a magic trick actually. For some reason, I'd always remembered this as the bottom opening up and having the contents fall out. Guess they would have needed more animations of all the different cargo types falling out to have done it that way.

Offline White Claw

« Reply #57 on: July 04, 2017, 10:11:00 PM »
Fair point on the cargo truck. I think maybe somewhere between the very square first one and the rounded second one. I'll try to play around a bit more with making it industrial, then try to make it a bit more futuristic.

I also like the idea of details on the cargo bed for the dump mechanics. Maybe some sort of track, or knuckles for the arms, or maybe giant sockets...Sliding bottom doors are also a possibility, much like a grain wagon with the funnel-type bottom. Though as you said, that would necessitate animations for all the cargo types.

Nothing new to post at the moment. I was working on a spider model, but I was stupid and didn't save for a while. So of course Murphy paid me a visit and I lost quite a bit of work. I'm hoping to get more time this week to work on it, but might not be till the weekend now.

Cheers

Offline White Claw

« Reply #58 on: July 05, 2017, 11:47:59 PM »
And the start of a spider...

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: July 06, 2017, 09:21:52 AM »
Hey, cool!

That's actually a lot more detailed than I expected.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
« Reply #60 on: July 18, 2017, 10:41:27 AM »
Really digging these!

Not to sound like a shameless plug, but would you have any interest in doing the building graphics for OutpostHD? I only ask because I'd like to move it to GitHub and the biggest problem with doing that is the use of the Outpost 1 graphics.

If nothing else maybe a few renders of the robots? Like the Digger, Miner, Truck and Dozer? :D

Anyway, 'nough about that. These really do look great!

Offline White Claw

« Reply #61 on: July 18, 2017, 10:22:47 PM »
Hey, thanks again for the kind words.

Sorry for the lack of recent progress. I was away on a trip all last week, so getting caught up on work this week. Then I'm out again next week.

However, before I left on my trip I started fiddling with the spider some more. What I started working on was animated parts that I can use within Unity. I've made animated stuff before, and I've "animated" things in Unity, but this is the first time I've combined the two things. Though I admit that was a bit of a distraction from just doing the pure 3D modeling...

As for doing some OutpostHD graphics...I might be convinced to work on something like that. The detail level doesn't need to be tooooo high. I'm not a super awesome artist, but it could give me a project to work on. If you aren't in a big hurry and don't mind some iterative design, I can try to lend my support. What level of detail(s) are you looking for? And what size are the sprites? (Maybe we need to start another thread if you're serious.)

Offline White Claw

« Reply #62 on: July 19, 2017, 12:45:49 AM »
If nothing else maybe a few renders of the robots? Like the Digger, Miner, Truck and Dozer? :D

Well, I thought maybe I'd throw together something building sized, but quick enough that I could do it tonight. So here's a quick Comm Tower.

It's pretty bare on the details, mainly just a few doodads and some color. But to also show what happens when it scales down.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #63 on: July 19, 2017, 04:19:27 AM »
That's actually really good  :o

The buildings... let's see, they're currently something like 107x56 but I'd like to have the tile base size be 128x64... so shoot for that and they can be scaled appropriately afterward. :D

As for a new thread, that would be a good idea. Can go ahead and open one up in the OPHD project thread.

As a side note, don't be afraid to play with the designs, I have no great love of the original building designs. I should probably put together a list of buildings that are currently used and that will eventually be needed.

End thread hijack

Still though, these are all quite good and I enjoy seeing the work!

Offline White Claw

« Reply #64 on: July 19, 2017, 09:23:24 PM »
Here is 128x64:

And the new thread for discussion of potential OutpostHD graphics. http://forum.outpost2.net/index.php/topic,5976.0.html
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 09:30:34 PM by White Claw »

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: July 26, 2017, 07:59:33 AM »
What a interesting thing to find on the forums on a random visit. Very cool. I made some crappy models back in the day. Keep up the good work.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #66 on: July 26, 2017, 10:47:36 AM »
There's been a lot going on since the last time you visited. :D

Offline White Claw

« Reply #67 on: July 28, 2017, 11:01:55 PM »
What a interesting thing to find on the forums on a random visit. Very cool. I made some crappy models back in the day. Keep up the good work.

Thanks man, glad I could provide something nice to the community. :D

Offline White Claw

« Reply #68 on: August 20, 2017, 11:56:09 AM »
I suppose slightly off topic from the trend of the thread, but it's generically "random 3D stuff."

I wanted to learn a few skills, so I built this tube corridor (with much help from a tutorial).

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #69 on: August 21, 2017, 01:51:30 PM »
That is so awesome

Makes me think of all the possibilities for alternate game art, or even cut scenes and the like.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #70 on: August 21, 2017, 06:54:28 PM »
This works well for both OP1 and OP2 as well  ;D ;D

Offline havkyp

« Reply #71 on: August 22, 2017, 09:51:56 AM »
Makes me think of all the possibilities for alternate game art, or even cut scenes and the like.

I think they can also be used as backgrounds for full screen views such as the pre-game setup screen or master facilities view?

Offline White Claw

« Reply #72 on: August 22, 2017, 08:42:17 PM »
Thanks fellas. :D  I guess I've made a little progress since July.

I didn't start on that particular image with the intent to use it for anything except learning, but I agree that it could be useful for something like menu backdrops. I would like to create another one eventually, but I think Leeor is chomping for some more buildings first. :P

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #73 on: August 22, 2017, 11:56:46 PM »
Indeed, it would work well for either OP1 or OP2. And certainly usable for a menu or view background.

But White Claw is right, more buildings first!

Offline White Claw

« Reply #74 on: January 13, 2018, 11:06:41 PM »
More random stuff that I worked on today. I got the inspiration to work on some planets after seeing the other thread. http://forum.outpost2.net/index.php/topic,6058.msg86039.html#msg86039

Wasn't sure where else to put them, so here they are!

« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 11:16:24 PM by White Claw »