Author Topic: More Random 3D Stuff  (Read 3801 times)

Offline White Claw

Re: More Random 3D Stuff
« Reply #75 on: January 14, 2018, 12:32:49 AM »
And maybe the start of a space station. Though it certainly has a long way to go.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 12:35:54 AM by White Claw »

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #76 on: January 14, 2018, 11:59:42 AM »
Hey, that's really cool.

Nice job with the clouds on the Earth like planet.

I'm looking at the mountains and thinking they appear abnormally tall, like the scale is a bit off. Reminds me of those claims where if you accounted for scale, the earth would be smoother than a basket ball/bowling ball/billiard ball. Naturally I had to go look that up. Turns out those calculations are based on diameter variation, not smoothness of the surface. For smoothness compared to a billiard ball, it's apparently more like sandpaper. Maybe the numbers in there will be useful for scale.

Also, XKCD is awesome:
What If? - Bowling Ball

Another thing catching my eye now, is the meteor impact craters look a bit off. The mountains and the craters appear to overlap each other. I assume one would obliterate the other.

The last planet is a pretty nice art shot.

What gave you the inspiration for the spokes of the space station wheel? It's oddly non-regular in a strangely symmetric way. It's intriguing. Makes me want to know why, though not so odd that it's unbelievable.

Offline White Claw

« Reply #77 on: January 14, 2018, 03:30:45 PM »
@Hooman: Your observations are spot on...

- The mountains are abnormally tall. I did that intentionally because I wanted to see some relief. It just felt more interesting while I was working on it, though in reality it would certainly be quite flat.
- Also, the meteor impacts are just a trick with a texture overlay, so they are also relatively unrealistic looking.

However, I was a bit impatient and wanted to get something to use as a backdrop. It was really to help me with this.

What gave you the inspiration for the spokes of the space station wheel? It's oddly non-regular in a strangely symmetric way. It's intriguing. Makes me want to know why, though not so odd that it's unbelievable.

It's inspired by that other space station that Goof threw into the background of the Outpost 2 Main Menu Screen thread. I basically started copying the similar design, except my personal compulsions lead me to symmetric designs.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 03:55:26 PM by White Claw »

Offline White Claw

« Reply #78 on: January 14, 2018, 10:12:21 PM »
And what's likely the final product.

I have one at 4x the resolution, if anyone wants/needs it. Just let me know.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #79 on: January 17, 2018, 02:40:12 AM »
Woah, cool!

Yes, but all means post the high res version. I'd like to be able to check out the detail.

Offline White Claw

« Reply #80 on: January 17, 2018, 08:25:34 PM »
Here's the higher res version. This one is an oversample, so that I could downsample and reduce the noise a bit. So you'll see more detail, but there's also a bit more speckle in the image.

https://i.imgur.com/Q3mMt9Z.jpg

Also, it's pretty big so I decided not to embed it as an inline image.

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
« Reply #81 on: January 17, 2018, 08:45:17 PM »
The texturing on the rockets needs more work, honestly. The model itself looks good.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #82 on: January 18, 2018, 08:48:59 AM »
Nice. The bottoms of the landing modules look a bit funny to me. Seems like too much detail. I would expect a flatter surface there.

Offline White Claw

« Reply #83 on: January 18, 2018, 07:29:43 PM »
(I assume by "rockets" you mean the landers.)

That's fair. To be honest, I got a bit lazy on the texture on the landers, but also I never intended the giant image to be the "used" version. It was an oversample so that I could kill some of the noise in the image, so I worried less about having a snazzy texture for the landers because a lot of the detail gets lost. Also I was wanting to reach completion on this project and move on...Keeping to a sort of production rhythm.

That being said, I knew I was lazy about the landers in particular (also lazy about the little probes tucked beneath the landers). So the next project that I started is actually to focus on a lander by itself. For the starting point, I've been recreating an Apollo capsule/service module for practice on the model and the (very shiny) textures.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
    • LairWorks Entertainment
« Reply #84 on: January 19, 2018, 10:31:13 AM »
I look forward to seeing more work. You've progressed considerably since you first started posting. :D
- Leeor
LairWorks Entertainment

Titanum UFO's

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #85 on: January 19, 2018, 01:00:47 PM »
Indeed, he has.

White Claw, I like your attitude about keeping to a production rhythm.

Offline Fenrisul

« Reply #86 on: January 20, 2018, 01:05:40 PM »
After my own heart. :)