Author Topic: Cataclysm of Chaos V6  (Read 1264 times)

Offline lordpalandus

Re: Cataclysm of Chaos V6
« Reply #75 on: October 16, 2017, 11:01:25 AM »
I'll have to try to reproduce it to fix it, but I have a fairly good idea what is going on. I'll try doing precisely what you did to produce it.

It appears that instead of spawning a monster, it puts you in battle with your Spellbook. After a battle, the code that checks for a visible enemy defaults to Spellbook, which is intentional as it allows you to cast noncombat spells after combat and prevents other combat-related functionality from occurring when you aren't in combat. Somehow, the game has gotten confused and considers your Spellbook an enemy, which is why you can't kill it... as it technically doesn't have a health meter.

It probably has something to do with my attempts at trying to turn off spell recasting in my refactor of V5, so I'll check the spell code for the issue.

EDIT: Couldn't reproduce it, and didn't find anything in my spellcasting system. However, did find a few logic errors in my melee combat system, related to objects that could have caused your issue, that I fixed, so hopefully that will solve that issue.

EDIT2: The message "You find a stairwell leading down, and thus can enter the sewers from here." Only appears when the ExplorationScript is triggered on a floor that is 0 or less OR 13 or more; its the default message for a switch statement. So, that implies that the "room" was generated on floor 0, in the Capital City, which it shouldn't.

EDIT3: It appears to be an error in the Ascend code, as it performs the Exploration Script at all times after ascending a floor, and as you'd be on floor 0, it would produce the default message and then as it skipped room generation, it would have used the room description from the previous room, and see the spellbook as an enemy. Will now be fully fixed!
---

Wasp Hive; wasps keep stinging. Yeah, it was a bit rushed, so I'll look over it some more. I'll reword the trap encounter, as you are right it doesn't really work at all.

EDIT: Rewrote a lot of the text, and reread it, and it mostly sounds fine to me. Love to hear your opinion on the reworded encounter!

---

"begin" needs to be verbose, as that is a command and doesn't work if not verbatim.

I agree that it is a bit verbose, but as I did try that route before and it didn't pan out, it is a necessary evil. I'll look into restructuring the character creation screen, so that its quicker to generate a new character for those that have done it before and slower for those who haven't.

EDIT: Modified character creation to be very fast for returning players. Just type in your race, and then your name, and the game will automatically put you into the game proper. If you need to make a more informed decision or want to go through the old system, just type "new" for new player. Should address the majority of the issues you brought up Hooman. Hopefully!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 01:35:03 PM by lordpalandus »
BAM! You've been facehugged! Have a great day!

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #76 on: October 16, 2017, 07:07:30 PM »
Very clever how you rewrote character creation. Since the character class is a small finite set of options, you can easily add an extra option for help.

I like choosing a race before deciding on a name. Maybe I want to choose a name based on the race I select, which makes more sense to do when you already know what races you can select.

The timed random events are a bit annoying. It kind of interrupts play at random intervals. It's also way way too frequent. Good for testing, but bad for gameplay. It's impossible to read a long wall of text without random events adding to it. The text itself is generally fun and playful. The only one I didn't like was the ball of dung that randomly rolls in and out. Why? How odd. The other ones add nicely to the mood of the game. I would suggest decreasing the frequency, by at least a factor of 10, and see how that works out. I'm still wondering if it might be better to slip such text in between commands, rather than at timed intervals. Especially if the text is just for mood, and doesn't actually cause any events you can interact with.

Offline lordpalandus

« Reply #77 on: October 16, 2017, 07:25:30 PM »
Thank you.

Yes, the timed ambience does need improvements to it. The idea behind it is that in many games, with sound, you often have little bits of ambient sound effects, or visual effects to add to the immersion. As I currently lack a sound designer and not sure that adding sound to a text-adventure would be a good idea in the first place, I settled for a timer-based ambience related event.

I agree that they do interrupt play at random intervals, but thus far haven't figured out a better way to do it. Maybe the moment after you kill a monster. Or maybe after you finish investigating something. Its something I do want; ambience that is, rather than annoying text popups.

With the ambience I wanted to go with a few that were purely visual ambience, purely auditory and some that are a bit of both. I'll admit that I was kind of grasping for ideas on the sixth ambience event for the sewers, the ball of shit, but wanted to have a sixth, and thus, that hopefully explains that. Also, there is a beetle of some kind that makes a home out of a ball of manure, and figured it'd fit right in with a sewer and the usual stuff found in a sewer.

Well, as the frequency is one per 30 seconds, a factor of ten would imply 5 minutes. That seems a bit long to me, personally. Though if I were to be able to eschew with the timer altogether, and go with specific intervals where a random ambience would occur, that would be more ideal imo.

Well, technically, three of the events for each section DO cause an interaction with the player. There is an ambience event where a tarantula and a scorpion battles it out. Most of the time, it will be harmless. However, if you have Arachnophobia, then you get a unique interaction (as they are both arachnids) depending on if you are in combat or not; if you are in combat, they freak you out and you drop your guard and the enemy gets a free hit on you. Though, I'm thinking myself that that might not be a great mechanic in of itself... especially with interactions with when the player has Haste active and should get another attack in before the monster can retaliate.

Thoughts?

EDIT:

Uploaded hotfix 3. Makes the ambience system trigger in two circumstances; room generation and monster death. This means it won't be on a timer anymore and if you get a phobia event, then the monster gets a free attack, at the start of the encounter, rather than break other functionality. Hope this solves some of the annoyances with the ambience system!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 11:01:53 PM by lordpalandus »

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: October 17, 2017, 11:16:00 AM »
The idea behind it is that in many games, with sound, you often have little bits of ambient sound effects, or visual effects to add to the immersion. As I currently lack a sound designer and not sure that adding sound to a text-adventure would be a good idea in the first place, I settled for a timer-based ambience related event.

Very interesting explanation. Indeed, it could be odd to have sound in a text-adventure. Though now you've got me wondering if it could work.

I agree that they do interrupt play at random intervals, but thus far haven't figured out a better way to do it. Maybe the moment after you kill a monster. Or maybe after you finish investigating something. Its something I do want; ambience that is, rather than annoying text popups.

Yes, I would expect text to be randomly inserted between existing actions and events, without displaying at odd times through a timer.

Well, as the frequency is one per 30 seconds, a factor of ten would imply 5 minutes.

That sounds about right to me.

Though if I were to be able to eschew with the timer altogether, and go with specific intervals where a random ambience would occur, that would be more ideal imo.

Yes, I think it might work better if the events appeared at specific hook points.

Well, technically, three of the events for each section DO cause an interaction with the player. There is an ambience event where a tarantula and a scorpion battles it out. Most of the time, it will be harmless. However, if you have Arachnophobia, then you get a unique interaction (as they are both arachnids) depending on if you are in combat or not; if you are in combat, they freak you out and you drop your guard and the enemy gets a free hit on you. Though, I'm thinking myself that that might not be a great mechanic in of itself... especially with interactions with when the player has Haste active and should get another attack in before the monster can retaliate.

It seems your game mechanics are more involved than I expected. Though I have to wonder, is arachnophobia something that is acquired through play? It seems odd that a player might develop a weakness from playing, rather than grow stronger. If acquired, is there a way to get rid of it? Or does the player start with phobias that must be overcome?

Uploaded hotfix 3. Makes the ambience system trigger in two circumstances; room generation and monster death. This means it won't be on a timer anymore and if you get a phobia event, then the monster gets a free attack, at the start of the encounter, rather than break other functionality. Hope this solves some of the annoyances with the ambience system!

I will be looking forward to trying out the update.

Offline lordpalandus

« Reply #79 on: October 17, 2017, 11:53:36 AM »
Well, my text adventure is a GUI-less turn-based RPG, so conceivably sounds could be introduced to it. There is code in Quest to allow inputting pictures and sound into the game.

Phobias are acquired in one of two ways; 1) trigger a trap at least 3 times [ie Spider Web trap] or 2) die to a creature and second wind. You can get rid of phobias by drinking the expensive and highly useful Elixir of Ambrosia [costs 1000 SS per, and fully heals all HP and MP, and will clear any phobias you have].

I do intend to have an ingame Manual that will explain the mechanics of the game, as things are very involved under the hood. I'm sure there are mechanics I've implemented that players don't know of. For example, if you use a shield, with spikes, your damage output will quickly outpace your melee weapon. However, if you miss with your shield bash, or even hit, you lose your dodge, protection and spell resistance bonuses from your shield for that round. I'll look into implementing the manual once I've fully figured out all the mechanics.