Author Topic: Website Facelift  (Read 893 times)

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
    • LairWorks Entertainment
Website Facelift
« on: October 17, 2016, 12:01:08 PM »
Hey, everybody!

Wanted to let you all know that the OPU main website has gotten a much needed facelift. It will see some revisions over the next few days/weeks but so far everything appears to be working normally.

Please report any broken links or other issues.

Offline Drakmar

• NTCS Administrator
    • New Terran Command Site
Re: Website Facelift
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 01:28:48 PM »
Looking gorgeous! That was definitely long past due. Good job leeor!

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 03:59:42 PM »
Very nice indeed.

How was this built?

Noticed the "Home" link is broken, pointing to:
http://www.outpost2.net/index.html
I believe the proper extension is .php. Better though, is to link to:
http://www.outpost2.net/
That works and hides the ugly implementation detail. (Do end users really need to know or care if PHP is used to serve the page?)

Offline dave_erald

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2016, 04:23:14 PM »
Mucho bueno

Me likey
I wrote a novella on this site, I can sorta code...

Outpost2 - Life at the End- 2015
Edits will show up in red

- David R.V.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2016, 04:36:21 PM »
How was this built?

Hand coded. In Notepad++.

Noticed the "Home" link is broken, pointing to:
http://www.outpost2.net/index.html
I believe the proper extension is .php. Better though, is to link to:
http://www.outpost2.net/
That works and hides the ugly implementation detail. (Do end users really need to know or care if PHP is used to serve the page?)

Which home button is that? I don't see any issues from my tests but it wouldn't surprise me if there's a mistake.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2016, 05:52:09 PM »
Seems to be fixed now. It was one of the nav bar links, possibly using the image.

Impressive Notepad++ skills.  :)

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2016, 08:32:31 AM »
* leeor_net bows

Why thank you.

I could optimize some of it by switching over to php and including the header nav and footers instead of the copy/paste job it currently is but meh, it's literally three pages with all the other stuff belonging in the Wiki instead (strategy guides and all that jazz, wiki's are more appropriate to that).

And yeah, I noticed the issue you mentioned. That's a whoopsie on my part so I quickly fixed it.

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

I'm thinking of modifying the forum theme to more closely resemble the website so they're a bit more in tune -- basically just the header bars and such. CSS3 allows for some pretty impressive gradient effects instead of using images so we can save some bandwidth and use just straight up code to generate the same look across multiple pages.

Offline Vagabond

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2016, 09:42:25 PM »
leeor_net,

I'm really enjoying the improvements to the website!

Is there a way to add a link back to the main Outpost2 page from the forum header and wiki header? It seems a little strange to me that I cannot get back to the main page when I am surfing the wiki or forum without using a bookmark or browser history.

-Brett

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2016, 02:16:34 AM »
Is there a way to add a link back to the main Outpost2 page from the forum header and wiki header? It seems a little strange to me that I cannot get back to the main page when I am surfing the wiki or forum without using a bookmark or browser history.

Agreed. That was in the back of my mind too.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2016, 09:13:58 AM »
I don't see why not. Should be a simple template adjustment for the forum and the wiki probably just a simple code change. I'm not sure including the entire site nav bar would make sense or be appropriate in the forums or the wiki but I'll experiement a bit with it and see what feels best.

Offline Galactic

• Administrator
    • http://www.konker.net
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2016, 12:04:59 PM »
Looks great, thank you!
Take me to your leader! I bare the claws of a corndog.

Offline Vagabond

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2016, 11:45:55 PM »
Leeor & Arklon,

The matching themes between the Forum and main site looks great. I also like the ability to link back out of the forum to other parts of the sites.

Question on the new site though. How are we handling the music/videos for Outpost 2 now? I remember downloading them separately from the main game download in the past, but don't see them on the new site.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2016, 08:14:50 AM »
That was pointed out to me by DaRkInLiGhT. I'm probably going to use Drakmar's reencoded videos for the videos. Music I'll offer as both the MP3 download and the in-game music formats.

Should have that up later today. The files are still available via http://outpost2.net/files/ but it's just a simple directory listing that way and not very pretty.

Offline Drakmar

• NTCS Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2016, 11:12:56 PM »
Feel free to copy those over if you'd like. I'm still planning on re-encoding them at some point to use a built-in decoder that modern versions of Windows come with so that FDDShow isn't required anymore.

Offline Vagabond

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2016, 12:22:02 AM »
I like the idea of using Drakmar's videos. It will remove our dependcy on the Indeo (spelling?) codec that seems to me to be getting very obscure. Even though the re-encoded videos take a codec, at least it is more widely used.

For me, the larger video encoding size makes them fit the game much nicer.

I was planning on making a section of the wiki separate from map making that deals with technical parts of modifying the game beyond simply making new maps. I was thinking Outpost 2 Technical Review. Perhaps we could stuff a copy of the Indeo Codec there with a blurb on the old video format.

Offline Drakmar

• NTCS Administrator
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2016, 12:25:43 AM »
I could also contribute what I learned regarding the encoding requirements for Outpost 2 to accept the videos in the built-in player as well.