Author Topic: Outpost 2 for macOS Updated  (Read 1279 times)

Offline Drakmar

• NTCS Administrator
    • New Terran Command Site
Outpost 2 for macOS Updated
« on: August 31, 2016, 08:01:27 PM »
Hey everyone, just wanted to hop on here and let you guys know that I (finally) updated the macOS download of Outpost 2 to be in sync with the current OPU release. In case there is anyone interested, the download link is below. I also removed the aging Windows link from the NTCS page and put in a link-back to OPU's download page. Also updated its macOS App Icon, which you can see below as well.

Outpost 2 for macOS Download

Outpost 2 for macOS Changelog
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 07:02:53 PM by Drakmar »

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
    • LairWorks Entertainment
Re: Outpost 2 for macOS Updated
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 09:39:30 AM »
Nice work. Thanks for the update!

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2016, 07:07:33 PM »
Huh, I didn't even know this existed.

Alright, when does someone make an Ubuntu apt-get package?  ;D

Offline Drakmar

• NTCS Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 09:31:18 PM »
I've toyed around with several methodologies to accomplish something similar for the *nixes, but given that most Linux users are more advanced in their technical prowess, I did not think it really necessary. If there is interest, I could give it another go, however. :)

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 09:45:03 PM »
We should really try to make this MacOS package more public. Could attract a lot of younger users who may really appreciate the classic feel to the game. I know at least 5 people running Mac's that might really enjoy this game as much as the rest of us do.

Offline Drakmar

• NTCS Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2016, 09:47:32 PM »
Spread the word! Macs gain popularity by the year, and theres a lot of potential for growth of the game. I've always felt that having a way for the common user to play on a Mac would boost our numbers, if even just a bit.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2016, 09:51:19 PM »
Really right now just a little bit can mean a lot. We've had two new users hanging around in IRC and it's livened up the channel a LOT.

Which you should hop on as well or at least set up Telegram like me, Dave and Lev, DucktapeEngineer and a few others have.

Offline Drakmar

• NTCS Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2016, 09:59:51 PM »
I'll look into it. Life has had me pretty busy lately, but I do have a vacation (more like "stay-cation") coming up, so I'll do my best to poke my head in.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2016, 01:30:41 AM »
For reference, I can run Outpost 2 on Wine without any problems. I can even debug it with OllyDbg on Wine.

An Outpost 2 Linux package would of course never make it into an official distribution due to copyright reasons. Maybe a downloadable package, or PPA would work. Or just tell people to install Wine, unzip a game package, and play. I think it really is that simple.

Offline Drakmar

• NTCS Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2016, 09:25:04 PM »
I am inclined to agree, Hooman. Maybe an "installer script" to ease the process along wouldn't be bad though.

On that note, I've just pushed through another update to add in some new frameworks to prevent needless downloads of several hundred megabytes of data every time I make an adjustment to the release. I've also made a few more exciting changes, which you can see by checking out the changelog:

Outpost 2 for macOS Changelog on NTCS
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 09:27:51 PM by Drakmar »

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2016, 08:08:15 AM »
Though I'd point out, it's Arklon, not Akron.

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2016, 08:50:34 AM »
I should point out that I updated NetHelper earlier today, might want to include the newer version in your package.

Offline Drakmar

• NTCS Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2016, 08:19:35 PM »
I saw that, and I'll be updating it later this week. (Working on a few other things I want to adjust anyway)

EDIT: I have integrated the new NetHelper into v1.1.1 of the macOS release and I went ahead and created the new "Combo Updater" so I don't have to rebuild and reupload the entire install package every time there is a minor update. This new methodology will be how I update the macOS release going forward, and will only rebuild the install package every few versions or so. You can find this update on the NTCS Downloads page linked in my previous post.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 08:58:07 PM by Drakmar »

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2016, 07:56:40 PM »
I updated NetHelper again, which for this is a crucial update. I swapped out Microsoft's UPnP API for a different library so it'll work in WINE.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2016, 08:35:22 PM »
Excellent.

Offline Drakmar

• NTCS Administrator
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2016, 06:36:39 AM »
Awesome Arklon! I've got the macOS release updated to include your latest release.

Offline Drakmar

• NTCS Administrator
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2016, 07:01:41 PM »
Updated the macOS release to sync up with Arklon's latest NetHelper update. Also refreshed the icon to be more in line with the "Apple Design Style". I updated the first post to include it for those that are curious.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 07:03:22 PM by Drakmar »

Offline Drakmar

• NTCS Administrator
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2016, 04:47:46 PM »
Update:

As soon as Outpost 2 v1.3.6 is released, I'll be pushing out the 1.2.0 macOS release. I've been working on a (basic, as I'm not a serious programmer) game launcher to go along with it to give access to the game settings file, as well as to provide an "Online Support" option to link the user back to either OPU or NTCS (both are currently included as options). Eventually, I plan on adding an Update Game option. Right now that button opens a browser page for the macOS download and reports the currently running version.

I'll also be adding a link to the Help Manual section of the OPU Wiki, as macOS doesn't use the same type of offline help manuals, and I see little need for an offline file in this particular environment.

If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions, feel free to let me know.