Author Topic: OutpostHD - An Outpost Redesign  (Read 14589 times)

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Re: OutpostHD - An Outpost Redesign
« Reply #100 on: October 20, 2017, 02:37:43 AM »
I could see multiple colonies on the same planet working. The other ideas sound fun, though I suspect the implementation would be hard, and the result ... probably not so fun.

Leeor_net, it's good to hear from you. I was wondering how the job was going. Figured you must be pretty busy with it. Hope you get over the flu soon.

Offline singthemuse

« Reply #101 on: October 20, 2017, 08:07:12 AM »
I think theoretical physics would be a fun end game research tier. Not necessarily for new technology gains or anything but as a mile marker. My thinking is that if a person's colony has the time/resources to support the study of theoretical sciences, then the colony is likely VERY stable and has enough extra supplies and colonists to support that, rather than something more immediately necessary to survival like housing, mining, morale, etc..

Perhaps "theoretical physics" could be an option that would continuously study thus tying up the facility forever unless it is canceled. It could be a large drain on resources too meaning that if players choose it too soon, they would endanger the colony. It could open the door for creating the new starship maybe (after enough cycles of it being studied)? Or perhaps just gives bonuses to other facilities (universities??) while it is being studied.

Just a thought!

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #102 on: October 20, 2017, 09:02:26 AM »
Ahh, sounds kind of like the "Future Tech" in the Civilization series of games. Once you've researched the entire tech tree, you just continue researching numbered "future techs", with each one adding to your overall score. There was no actual in game benefit to doing it though. It just affected the high score rankings.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
    • LairWorks Entertainment
« Reply #103 on: October 22, 2017, 03:03:22 PM »
I think that's what Basic Research was supposed to do. It sped up current research by a few turns... ultimately not that useful.

I was thinking of something similar which would provide some sort of random buff. Like small efficiency upgrades, cost cutting, etc.
- Leeor
LairWorks Entertainment

Titanum UFO's

Offline Goof

« Reply #104 on: October 22, 2017, 04:34:24 PM »
Moral is a big thing in the game.
So just add moral to balance other issues could be sufficient ?

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
    • LairWorks Entertainment
« Reply #105 on: October 25, 2017, 06:02:52 PM »
That could work. I still need to fully flesh it out but it currently works with the population model and the birth/death rates of the colonists. Need to get it to work with production and decay rates as well.
- Leeor
LairWorks Entertainment

Titanum UFO's