Author Topic: Windows 10 & Indeo Codec?  (Read 2725 times)

Offline heyyahblah

• Lounge Lizard
Windows 10 & Indeo Codec?
« on: May 29, 2016, 05:14:23 PM »
Hey all OP2 Universe fans,

So it's been about 3 years since the original author posted that OP2 v1.35 the videos will not play back on any O/S newer then Windows 7. Is this still the case with OP2 and indeo codec for the game to watch the in-game movies?

http://forum.outpost2.net/index.php/topic,5554.0.html

Have the same error when trying to install the INDEO codec on W10 ... "File Version Skew" although there are no files detected in the \system32 directory that meet the specific criteria. Compatibility settings in the installer do not seem to work at all.

In the users other thread, someone seemingly suggested that he run a VM with an older version of Windows just to play the movies, which makes no sense as the game runs perfectly fine in all versions of Windows, with the exception of 8.1 & 10 not being able to install the INDEO codec.

Unfortunately I took the free upgrade to W10 with my new Skylake build. Is there any work around to get the videos to play or install INDEO? Thanks for your time.

Larry, Larry Laffer ... hehe

Offline Vagabond

Re: Windows 10 & Indeo Codec?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2016, 03:09:51 AM »
Hello,

Drakmar has remastered the videos to play a little nicer with newer machines. Check out this post on the New Terran Command Site: http://newterrancommandsite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=204&sid=1aa3e64ba3566d335b870a6a43a4359a.

You would have to download his newer videos and drop them into the outpost 2 root directory, overwriting the original ones requiring the Indeo Codec. Unfortunately, the new videos rely on the FMP4 codec. Installing FFD show allowed Outpost 2 to play the new videos on my computer (Windows 7). However, I haven't tested on Windows 10. FFD Show is a lot more modern than the old Indeo codec we have been using.

The remastered videos are scaled up twice the size of the original and look nicer then the really small size of the originals.

Drakmar expressed interest in recoding them in a more widely available codec, but don't know if it has happened yet. In my opinion, it would be nice to get this done and then treat the new videos as standard. This would allow us to drop support for the Indeo Codec. I'm also not a video expert, and may be missing some details...

Offline heyyahblah

• Lounge Lizard
Re: Windows 10 & Indeo Codec?
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 09:04:15 PM »
Hey there dude, thanks for the reply.
 ;D

I'm happy to reply that it worked. Haha.
 ::) ::)

I've come a long way since my original post here (post 1) from 2006 asking for the same help to get these Video's to play on my then Socket 478 Celeron with 1GB of ram and Windows XP. Then it was just a simple Indeo Codec install and off we went. That was after finding OP2 universe because I couldn't get my Original OP2 CD to install in XP. I hadn't played it since my 98SE Pentium II.

I'm thank for your reply and glad to hear that Drakmar has taken it upon himself to recode the videos. Again, using a codec that lacks default support in Windows I had to download the FFDshow codec pack to get it to work. So far, it works in W10 and I hope it stays that way after the Redstore service pack 1 update for July 29th, 2016.

So I went to the page here like you suggested: https://www.outpost2.com/files/op2/op2_vids.zip
I then downloaded the upscaled videos and replaced the ones in my OP2 directory.
Then I had to install ffdshow: https://sourceforge.net/projects/ffdshow-tryout/?source=typ_redirect

The last update was in 2014. After I did this the in-game videos seem to play. Game and everything seem playable and fine. The menu does flicker from time to time, but as I read in another thread hear that is a bug present from W8 and up and can be fixed by editing the OP2.INI and changing the menu to a basic interface look. Another great workaround for the W8/W10 problems.

It's sad that as these newer version of Windows come out they break compatibility of our older games. Either we have to keep a separate machine to run legacy software or run in Virtual Machines, which I am not fond of VM's on my computer.

Anyways, thanks for the help. Glad I am still able to play this game and watch the videos in W10.  ;D  8)

« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 01:24:48 PM by leeor_net »
Larry, Larry Laffer ... hehe