Author Topic: Multi-Purpose Goo  (Read 739 times)

Offline lordpalandus

Multi-Purpose Goo
« on: October 14, 2015, 05:00:06 PM »
You mention having no desire to use MPG. What was MPG used for in Outpost 1? Was it used like Recycled Plastic, and thus could be reused in certain applications such as consumer products, or was it used identically to metals?
Currently working on Chaotic Planar Prison.
Link to OPU page = http://forum.outpost2.net/index.php/topic,6073.0.html

Offline Sirbomber

Re: Multi-Purpose Goo
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 07:19:29 PM »
I believe MPG could be used in place of any missing resources, and the amount of MPG generated used a bad formula, so you could easily end up with unlimited quantities of the stuff.  One suggestion regarding it, leeor: you're forgetting that (at least from a "lore" perspective) MPG also included organic waste.  Maybe have it output MPG (organic waste) and slag (metallic waste) which can then be refined (at a very poor rate) into a resource of your choice?  That way it still works somewhat like the original resource, but isn't as OP and requires some thought from the player.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 05:51:45 PM »
The one thing I would consider is, allowing the player to pick which resource to turn the "junk" into would allow them access to otherwise unavailable resources.  This way not having access to, say, rare ore goes from "crap, now I have to restart" to "well I can still get it by turning 100 units of scrap into 1 unit of rare; it's not ideal but at least I can live long enough to relocate" (allowing for a self-imposed challenge run).  Whether this is a good thing or not is, of course, your decision; as I said it can salvage an otherwise unwinnable situation, but it gives players the opportunity to game the system.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
    • LairWorks Entertainment
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 12:16:38 PM »
Hmm... not a bad idea though I think I'll stick with a somewhat simplified system in that say, 100 units of waste can be converted into say 5 units each of common metals and minerals and 1 or 2 units each of rare metals and minerals.
- Leeor
LairWorks Entertainment

Titanum UFO's