Author Topic: 3D Modeling  (Read 10774 times)

Offline dave_erald

3D Modeling
« on: December 10, 2015, 01:22:21 AM »
Until someone moves this somewhere else here I shall start.

So once I get a write account to the SVN I am going to start uploading 3D models of all of the vehicles and structures in Outpost 2.

I plan on doing 2 models for each, one Lo Res and one Hi Res, Lo Res models that should be easy enough to scale down and put into any platform game or even a remake of OP2. And Hi Res models for those that would like to see what this game could really look like. They will all be in .blend files which can be imported into other 3D modelers, and they can also be used to draw up a model for 3D printing, something I hope to try soon.

And yes I started this topic over on NTCS, now its here to. Deal with it.

One of the models is a Lo Res Rail Lynx. I still have to find textures and smooth some of the edges and transitions. A good start.

Rail Guns are cool.

And a Robo-Dozer

Both models come in under 4000 face count and are only done in a 200 sample render. Once I get more proficient at the system I can render them in higher quality.

Any thoughts? Corrections?

What should I build next?
-David R.V.

-GMT400 fan
-OPU Influencer

Offline dave_erald

Re: 3D Modeling
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 01:01:48 PM »
Okay, I can't make up my mind. The first Lynx or Model B?

The more I look at it, the more I think this should be uploaded instead.

Thoughts?

-David R.V.

-GMT400 fan
-OPU Influencer

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 07:58:44 PM »
Honestly, neither of your Lynx models really looks all that great to me, not because they're not well-made, but because they don't look like a Lynx.  The vehicles in OP2 look sleek and futuristic; yours are very boxy and angular, like they just rolled out of a WW2 documentary.  Check out some of the pre-rendered videos and art for more ideas.

Just my thoughts.

Edit: This is the menu background image used for the Renegades mod, and should be a good reference for you.  Also keep in mind that if this is meant to appear in-game, there are going to be dozens, up to hundreds, of these on screen at a time.  Rather than model each little detail, it might be better to make those details part of the skin (if possible).
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 08:47:04 PM by Sirbomber »
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline dave_erald

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 10:56:15 PM »
Thank you!

That's really what I was looking for. I appreciate all feedback and I am very happy when people aren't being ass hats (its happened to me elsewhere in life, not here on this forum or by any of the users which is great. I mean that.)

Good good. Something to go on. I like it. And yeah I kinda felt like both models felt a little 'bloated'

Cool.

...side note, who's good with PhotoShop for skinning these things?

EDIT : I guess I should add that UV Wrapping a Model in Blender is a fairly straightforward procedure, I would just need to design a skin once the template is spread out in Photoshop. I can get the skin there, I have no idea if I could draw anything pretty enough however.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 11:18:37 PM by dave_erald »
-David R.V.

-GMT400 fan
-OPU Influencer

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 11:19:25 AM »
You've made considerable progress learning Blender in a few weeks than I have been able to do in... years? Nice work!

Going to go with Sirbomber on this one -- they look good but they're not the Outpost 2 vehicles. I have no idea how you'd go about sculpting them but that doesn't make these unusable. They're a great place to start.

Also, to put out there because I don't think it gets said enough, practice makes perfect! The more you work with a tool the better able you'll be able to use it. I just kind of cludge through it with Blender and sort of kinda get the results I'm looking for and call it a day. But I've never taken the time to really learn how to use it which is why I'm so bad with Blender. Back in the day I used to do things with MilkShape3D that allowed me to produce much more sophisticated models  but I knew that tool a lot better.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 08:34:38 AM by leeor_net »

Offline Vagabond

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 11:33:41 AM »
Dave,

Have you though about using Gimp for your skinning and textures? It is a pretty good open source alternative to Photoshop that I've had good success with in the past.

https://www.gimp.org/

-Brett

Offline dave_erald

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2015, 11:44:21 AM »
That's funny, I found that program last night and was going to ask someone about it.
-David R.V.

-GMT400 fan
-OPU Influencer

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2015, 11:45:02 AM »
Gimp is awful. Just download PhotoShop and crack it.

Offline dave_erald

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2015, 11:54:46 AM »
Alright, Gimp first cause its free, and if I get frustrated then Photocrack.
-David R.V.

-GMT400 fan
-OPU Influencer

Offline dave_erald

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2015, 12:12:39 PM »
Let me know if I'm getting closer.

The general shape and front end closer to the game pic (eden06.png), rear tires are set back and wider per one of the game manual pics  (eden07.png) which seems to be kinda where the pic @Sirbomber put up from the renegades pack was going.

I'll have to skin one of these before I can get a real sense of what its going to look like...hopefully I can make some thing nice. Don't want to disappoint.

-David R.V.

-GMT400 fan
-OPU Influencer

Offline dave_erald

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2015, 12:28:28 PM »
See, they don't look so bad once there out playing together.

-David R.V.

-GMT400 fan
-OPU Influencer

Offline dave_erald

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2015, 01:19:53 PM »
Okay last one till I get feedback... or till I figure out how to skin it....

-David R.V.

-GMT400 fan
-OPU Influencer

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2015, 01:40:11 PM »
Much better.  Keep it up.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Offline dave_erald

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2015, 02:42:59 PM »
@Vagabond

Those models are uploaded to the SVN now. They are in .blend files which should be importable to any 3D model program.

EDIT : Added the texture support files, whether you use them or not they are there as well
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 03:06:52 PM by dave_erald »
-David R.V.

-GMT400 fan
-OPU Influencer

Offline Vagabond

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2015, 08:33:38 AM »
Dave,

Downloading TortoiseSVN right now. Hopefully I'll figure it out fairly quickly and pull a model or two to look at. I've used Mercurial a fair amount for version control but am new to Subversion.

I'm not a 3D modeler, so please don't expect any real feedback. My 3D modelling experience is mostly for computer aided design of small parts, which is very different to using it for 3D artwork (if not detrimental).

-Brett

Offline dave_erald

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2015, 11:51:56 AM »
Got bored, made weapons.

The Eden Laser seemed out of date to me so the dish is rectangular.

The Plymouth Microwave is okay, but should it be bulkier? Wider? Thoughts?

-David R.V.

-GMT400 fan
-OPU Influencer

Offline dave_erald

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2015, 01:10:56 AM »
Name the Weapon!

Also, the Thor pod is only started, not sure if this is how I want it or not...
What else should be changed?

Coming up...Skinning! Maybe.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 10:17:04 AM by dave_erald »
-David R.V.

-GMT400 fan
-OPU Influencer

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2015, 09:07:13 AM »
Wow. Very nice progress on this. You do seem to be learning.

@Sirbomber: Thank you for digging up and posting that image for reference.

I would be quite happy seeing those boxed models in an actual game. I do remember the Lynxes having more curves, but that's more important for a detailed art render than normal gameplay.  I wouldn't care if models were a bit boxed looked during gameplay. (Considering the hardware I typically run, a more boxed look might be better for me  :P).

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2015, 09:16:58 AM »
Well there is such a thing as "low" and "high" quality models, Hooman.  The tires are extremely detailed; I'd rather see those get scaled down if it meant having a smoother and more detailed body.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2016, 06:37:48 AM »
Have you done any more work on this? When do we get to see an army of scorpions?

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2016, 09:33:45 PM »
I second what Hooman said, any further work?

You clearly have a better grasp of Blender than I do -- I dunno, I have such an aversion to learning how to use blender I can barely get a simple isometric tile rendered.