Author Topic: How to Access Outpost.hlp file (Original soft copy help manual)  (Read 704 times)

Offline Vagabond

How to Access Outpost.hlp file (Original soft copy help manual)
« on: December 05, 2015, 10:02:08 AM »
If anyone wishes to review the Help file that came with the original game, information below may be helpful.

Microsoft has moved away from the help file format used by Outpost 2 back in 1997. They are now encouraging using HTML files as opposed to .hlp. You may have to manually install the Windows Help Program.

Step One:
Download Outpost2.hlp from the SVN here: https://svn.outpostuniverse.org:8443/!/#outpost2/view/head/GameDownload/Outpost2/tags/Outpost2-1.2.0.5-Sierra-CD-Install/Outpost2.hlp.

Step Two:
If unable to open the help file, download and install the required Windows Help Program to open the help file from here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/917607

Step Three:
After installing the Windows Help Program, if you get the following error message when trying to open the file:

Cannot display this help file. Try opening the help file again, and if you still get this message, copy the help file to a different drive, and try again.

Then right click on the file and select Properties. Then click Unblock on the bottom right of the dialog box.

Step Four:
If the file still will not open, review the troubleshooting steps in the original Help Program download link.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 10:24:34 AM by Vagabond »

Offline dave_erald

Re: How to Access Outpost.hlp file (Original soft copy help manual)
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 10:19:45 AM »
Cool. I will probably check that out, if just for nostalgia reasons.

Speaking of which, I broke out my original hard copy manual that came with the game and I don't remember seeing a help section, lots of tutorial and game info, no real help stuff I think. Mostly start at the beginning and it tells you how to move shit around in the game but not how to be good at the game.

Or fix stuff.

Nice work.
I wrote a novella on this site, I can sorta code...

Outpost2 - Life at the End- 2015
Edits will show up in red

- David R.V.

Offline Sirbomber

• http://
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 11:19:23 AM »
Not sure this really belongs in the "Programming" forum...
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

"Outpost 2: The Campaigns Are Okay, But The Novella Just Flames Everyone" progress:
Campaign 1 - 40%
Campaign 2 - 0%
Etc. - (insert arbitrary value here)%

It could only cost you your life, and you got that for free!

Offline dave_erald

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2015, 11:31:45 AM »
Is there a sticky for Outpost 2 somewhere for installation? This could be pinned underneath as part of the setup and installation.

Then its on the top of the forum sub section with installation and could be updated with OS changes?

Or something.
I wrote a novella on this site, I can sorta code...

Outpost2 - Life at the End- 2015
Edits will show up in red

- David R.V.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2015, 08:29:51 PM »
Since bandwidth is no longer such a concern, the help file could just be re-added to the download package. Probably better than including extra instructions to find the file. The instructions to install a help viewer on new versions of Windows is still helpful though.

Thank you for posting the info. I also liked how you included a text copy of the error dialog box message, making the text searchable.

@Sirbomber: You might be right, but do you have a suggestion as to where it should go?

Offline Sirbomber

• http://
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2015, 08:38:55 PM »
@Sirbomber: You might be right, but do you have a suggestion as to where it should go?

I would suggest the main OP2 forum.  Also, I believe someone converted the help file to an HTML format.  I forget where it is, though. :-[
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

"Outpost 2: The Campaigns Are Okay, But The Novella Just Flames Everyone" progress:
Campaign 1 - 40%
Campaign 2 - 0%
Etc. - (insert arbitrary value here)%

It could only cost you your life, and you got that for free!