Author Topic: Outpost 2 Remastered  (Read 19338 times)

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
Re: Outpost 2 Remastered
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2016, 09:56:23 AM »
Any forward momentum on this?

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2016, 11:47:33 PM »
cooperative multiplayer
I like this. There needs to be more cooperative games. You win together, you lose together.

If anyone has tried the cooperative board game Pandemic, it's actually quite a bit of fun. When you win, you're all happy as you all won. When you lose, it's not so bad, because everyone else lost too. :p

My brother introduced me to that game saying he say a review done by Wil Wheaton (who played Wesley Crusher in Star Trek). A curious lead in.

I played Pandemic once, was very fun.

On to the topic, I'd be greatly interested in hearing more on the progress in this as well as offer up a few suggestions:

• Play through the game and note any errors that occur that you should watch for in your efforts (most common thing I notice is the selection box not being cleared from the screen properly)
  • Read some of the negative reviews of the game to see if you can improve upon it.  One thing that I've seen a few times was that the reviewer was very impressed with the graphics, but the combat felt slapped on at the end.  Might require some rebuilding to integrate it better.

If you have any updates on your project, even if they are small, please share.
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2016, 02:05:42 PM »
I think it's safe to say this one died.

Offline bobbycc

« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2016, 12:15:45 AM »
Shame because im more or less an amateur C# programmer and like unity. Built some simple window form programs and currently building a simple RPG and would love to help with this project. would help with my logic and contribute something, that has a sentimental value to me, to the community. though if we borrow the source code from the opu2 now, that would help out a lot (yes i know, a fair amount of converting) and ive noticed David has been working on some wonderful models that could be implemented. i have plenty of time on my hands at the moment so ill like to help get the lynx rolling :P

Offline WarLordXbolt

« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2016, 03:23:18 PM »
Its not fully dead yet. I've been trying to get it at least playable but I have no formal training in coding. All help is welcome.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2016, 10:14:24 PM »
You don't need formal training in coding. I have no formal training -- I did what most of us do. I picked up a book and just started. I also downloaded and studied the code of others... in my case Quake and Quake 2 code.

I would recommend setting up a public repository on GitLab or GitHub (suggest GitLab) and providing access to your project source.

I would also recommend you start with simpler prototypes as you learn how to use Unity and learn programming practices. Focus on a particular concept and get it working right. Then move to the next. Eventually you can combine everything.

Offline Vagabond

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2016, 11:13:19 PM »
Hey BobbyCC,

Welcome to the Outpost Universe forums!

WarLordXbolt,

For the most part, I self taught myself programming as well. Keep at it and things eventually slowly start to click! Although I'm still not great myself.

-Brett

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2016, 06:38:56 AM »
... get the lynx rolling

You, sir, have earned my respect.  :P

I think leeor_net is right. Doing is better than learning. Also right about setting up a public repository. We need more thinks like GitLab and GitHub projects. Doesn't matter if the code is incomplete, garbage, or just throw away test ideas. You need somewhere to start, and it's easier to be motivated when you interact with other people on the project. That often means sharing incomplete ideas that aren't completely fleshed out, and possibly entirely wrong. It's also a great way to share code that does actually end up working, and to share with other people who want to continue the project, should you decide to stop.

Offline lordpalandus

• Banned
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2016, 04:10:16 PM »
Whats the difference between GitLab and GitHub?
Currently working on Cataclysm of Chaos, Remade.
Link to OPU page = http://forum.outpost2.net/index.php/topic,6073.0.html

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2016, 05:17:24 PM »
GitLab and GitHub are just different companies. They both offer online Git repository hosting. GitHub is probably more popular and has been around for longer. GitLab is newer and offers more for free.