Author Topic: Outpost 2 Remastered  (Read 19332 times)

Offline WarLordXbolt

Outpost 2 Remastered
« on: November 29, 2015, 02:21:22 PM »
Hello, I'm a noob here but I was thinking of remastering the old Outpost 2 Divided Destiny. So far I got Unity 3D v5, Audacity, and the CD of Outpost 2. But I need a little help with modeling the buildings and vehicle.

Offline dave_erald

Re: Outpost 2 Remastered
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 02:29:34 PM »
This should get you started with looking at all of the old models.

OP2 Graphics Viewer

As far as new models I'm sure somebody should be able to guide you in the right direction, you'll probably have to wait for a programmer or somebody with that knowledge to show up, that would not be me.

But, I'll admit, a clean new version of this game would be sweet.

Good Luck

David R.V.
-David R.V.

-GMT400 fan
-OPU Influencer

Offline Vagabond

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 03:08:52 PM »
WarlordXbolt,

You can find a community modified version of outpost 2 and individual downloads of all the in game videos here: http://outpost2.net/outpost2.php.

Current version is 1.3.5 which contains some important modifications to make multiplayer workable. If you haven't seen this version yet, you should consider checking it out and the change logs before modifying the original copy.

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 08:56:34 PM »
So what exactly is your goal here?  To update the existing game, or build a new game from the ground up?
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 01:38:12 AM »
@Siromber: I'm going to guess build a new game from the group up. Unity 3D is a game engine, so that implies something new.

@WarLordXbolt: Hello. Welcome. Can I ask what sort of background you have? I assume you have a bit of programming background. Do you have any experience working with game resources? Have you built anything before? I get a sense you're probably a little new with the tools you want to use. In which case, the best way to learn is to start playing around with things.

It's a big project to remake a game like Outpost 2. I guess what people are wondering is, is this just wishful thinking. I say go ahead and think big, but you do need something small to focus on, especially at the start. Best of luck if you decide to go ahead with this.

Offline WarLordXbolt

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 06:40:50 AM »
@Sirbomber: I plan to give Outpost 2 a crisp new look to it. Taking those 2D tiles and making them 3D. So basically give Outpost 2 A huge face lift. Also add that the player can create he's/her maps both for single player and multiply player. Plus adding that you can mod it with little too no crashes.
@Hooman: I have small experience with all these tools I have. Also this project will probably take me a very long time due to the fact that I'm in school.

Offline pbhead

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 04:45:33 PM »
I know there are people who have already modeled some of the buildings/vehicles in 3D. Id ask them to see if you can use their assets as at least a starting point.

Offline WarLordXbolt

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2015, 04:50:09 PM »
@pbhead: Thank you! :-D

Offline WarLordXbolt

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2015, 07:10:48 PM »
@dave_erald: That OP2 Graphics doesn't work for me. It has an error.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2015, 07:22:14 PM »
An update was recently posted to the OP2Graphics thread concerning mscomct2.ocx. What was the error message about?

I should also point out that Outpost 2 uses 2D graphics. I assume you're after 3D models. You won't find those from the original game, but Fenrisul did try generating a few models from scratch. There was an archive of his models floating around somewhere, but I don't remember where. Does anyone else have the link?

Offline dave_erald

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2015, 11:38:28 PM »
@WarLordXbolt could you post the error? Should be simple enough to work it out, and then I can correct the post I made.

This might be it...
Fenrisul's Models
-David R.V.

-GMT400 fan
-OPU Influencer

Offline WarLordXbolt

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2015, 05:41:47 PM »
Here is the error "Error loading OP2_ART.BMP".

Offline dave_erald

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2015, 05:51:14 PM »
Ahhh. That file is right in the OP2 game folder. If you have the graphics viewer in a separate folder you will have to copy op2_art.bmp and the maps.vol file into the op2_graphics folder (maps.vol has the op2_art.prt file. I believe, I can check when I get home.) If that still doesn't work Im sure Mr. Hooman can shed some more light on this.
-David R.V.

-GMT400 fan
-OPU Influencer

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2015, 07:20:41 PM »
Yes, you'll need both OP2_ART.BMP and op2art.prt from the game to run the graphics viewer. The .BMP file contains the raw bitmap data, and the .prt file contains the indexing information needed to properly access that data.

The .BMP file is just sitting in the Outpost 2 folder. The .prt file is packed inside maps.vol and needs to be extracted first. Normally I just put the Op2Graphics.exe file into the Outpost 2 folder, that way it can find the .BMP without needing to copy it. I also typically have the .prt file already extracted. There are a few ways to extract it, but I think the easiest way is just download Cynex's art viewer which includes the .prt file already in zip package.

Offline WarLordXbolt

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2015, 07:16:13 PM »
THANK YOU!!!!!!

Offline WarLordXbolt

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2015, 07:58:34 PM »
I found some stranger stuff in the outpost 2 tiles.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2015, 08:49:28 PM »
There are some oddities in there. It's fun to find the resources that didn't quite make it into the finished game, or the easter eggs which you're not likely to find in the game.

Offline WarLordXbolt

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2015, 09:12:56 PM »
There was DNA and Santa. And I'm like really.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2015, 09:20:01 PM »
I think the DNA is actually used in game, in the campaign, as a marker that must be uncovered by a scout. You can place such a marker in your own levels if desired. I think there were 3 different market symbols to choose from.

Offline dave_erald

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2015, 06:44:47 PM »
Not sure how far you've gotten, but if these help you in anyway, even if it's how not to make models it's still help.

3D Modeling

Achievement Unlocked-First Shameless Plug

Yay me!
-David R.V.

-GMT400 fan
-OPU Influencer

Offline WarLordXbolt

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2016, 04:32:55 PM »
By any chance is there any other game modes for both single and multiplayer you all would like me t add in?

Offline Vagabond

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2016, 12:04:41 AM »
It would be good to see more cooperative multiplayer opportunities. I think some sort of king of the hill scenario would be cool where you need to control a piece of territory. Combat focus, but not the destruction of your opponent's colony.

Having campaigns, tutorials, and colony games is probably the extent of single player needs as I see it.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2016, 08:45:24 AM »
cooperative multiplayer
I like this. There needs to be more cooperative games. You win together, you lose together.

If anyone has tried the cooperative board game Pandemic, it's actually quite a bit of fun. When you win, you're all happy as you all won. When you lose, it's not so bad, because everyone else lost too. :p

My brother introduced me to that game saying he say a review done by Wil Wheaton (who played Wesley Crusher in Star Trek). A curious lead in.

Offline Zhall

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2016, 01:19:39 PM »
I think what you should do is make it a total conversion for openttd.

That engine is very powerful and widely known and available across many devices.

All you would have to do for tiles is take the 2d texture and apply it to a isometric model and take renders for the sprite sheets.

For the sprites of units and buildings just extract them.

Making an entire engine in unity is mostly a waste of time. Just make a mod for Openttd and you are half way there already.
Pumping out awsome.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2016, 11:10:09 AM »
I'm not sure OpenTTD is an appropriate code base for this kind of game. Perhaps the terrain engine but everything else would need to be gutted.

And would it really make sense to try to push an Outpost 2 clone into an isometric projection?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 03:20:22 PM by leeor_net »