Author Topic: Outpost 2 SDK Redmine Project  (Read 2500 times)

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
Outpost 2 SDK Redmine Project
« on: November 01, 2015, 09:41:17 PM »
Over the past week Leviathan and I set up a Redmine project management installation that has several projects in it. Relevant project here is the Outpost2 SDK.

Outpost 2 SDK Redmine Project

What is Redmine?

As described by Wikipedia:

Quote from: Wikipedia
Redmine is a free and open source, web-based project management and issue tracking tool. It allows users to manage multiple projects and associated subprojects. It features per project wikis and forums, time tracking, and flexible role based access control.

Just what it says. Don't think I need to elaborate at all.

Why use Redmine?

One of the problems we've had with OPU and SDK distribution over the years is a lack of a centralized locations to download official releases from. Most often you can find information lurking around the forums but there was no distribution channel.

Installing Redmine is an effort to solve this. By using project management software, we can centralize distribution and offer an easy way to get up to date information on development progress and even provide bug reports.

Great! What about the SVN?

The SVN repository is great for getting bleeding edge code. It's extremely useful as a version control system and is a very powerful tool for developers. But it's not super friendly to newbies or users that aren't looking to modify the SDK code and commit it to the repository.

That's where Redmine steps in. By providing an easily downloadable package, we can provide new users an easy way to download a ZIP file with all of the projects, files and settings necessary to hit the ground running without having to fight with compiler and linker settings.

Sounds like a plan. Where do I get the SDK?

When you follow the above link, you'll be presented with the OP2 SDK Project Page. Underneath the Project Title Header, you'll see a series of tab links. Click on 'Files' at the far right. From here you will be able to see all of the SDK releases currently available.

Fire Plague

Re: Outpost 2 SDK Redmine Project
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 01:00:52 AM »
this is all well and good yes, but wouldn't it be nice to have say, greenworld files and the like available too? I've been wanting some central location for all these things I see floating around on the forum for years. I play off and on and only now to create some silly colony game for my seven year old, but as I don't have the time to hunt down these things (and I have tried a few times) it would be nice to just have them ready to go.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 11:59:52 AM »
That's all part of the plan, actually. Ultimately I'd like the SDK to have everything included so that you can just get something together really fast and distribute it without needing to do any programming, fiddle with compilers, etc.

Working on it a little at a time. Wish I had more time to devote to it.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 09:17:01 PM »
Wanted to bump this one back up -- since I finished SVN integration with Redmine I've added the OP2 SVN repository to the OP2 SDK project on Redmine.

http://redmine.outpostuniverse.org/projects/op2-sdk