Author Topic: More Colony Games?  (Read 9237 times)

Offline sudopudge

More Colony Games?
« on: October 10, 2015, 04:43:43 PM »
Does anyone know if there are more colony games I can get somewhere, or do I have all of them? Here's what I have:

Colony Builder - Eden, Population
Colony Builder - Eden, Starship
Colony Builder - Plymouth, Population
Colony Builder - Plymouth, Starship
Colony Builder II - Plymouth, Starship
Plymouth Cold War
Post-Release Colony Demo
Pre-Release Eden Demo
Pre-Release Plymouth Demo

I have version 1.3.5 of Oupost 2. Thanks!

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Re: More Colony Games?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 06:01:40 PM »
I think that's it. At least those are all the official colony games. Some people have tried writing their own, but they're not always very polished, and not part of any download package.

... would you be interested in new colony games?

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 06:38:17 PM »
I've wanted to try my hand at building my own maps so perhaps this is the first thing I'll tackle.

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2015, 08:30:52 PM »
Hi

Welcome to the Outpost Universe!

These I beleive are all the stable single player colony games. Of course they would be interested in new colony games Hooman, we all would. The single player of Outpost 2 is the main thing that get's people into Outpost 2 I find.. the campaign and colony games give the single player a good mix and a lot of playability.

As for more single player content.. there is a new new single player campaign, called Outpost Renegades.

You can download the installer and music for Renegades here:
renegades1-4.exe
ren-music.rar

It includes 4 new missions but its not 100% stable so may crash. Its a very fun few missions!

Some more info here on the old wiki: wiki.outpost2.net/Outpost_Renegades

:)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 08:32:59 PM by Leviathan »

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 09:47:30 PM »
Just been looking and found two more community made Colony Games:
The Mission - http://forum.outpost2.net/index.php/topic,5067.0.html
Outcasters Starship - http://forum.outpost2.net/index.php/topic,5014.0.html

Also just some notes..

Dynamix made colony games
Colony Builder - Eden, Population
Colony Builder - Eden, Starship
Colony Builder - Plymouth, Population
Colony Builder - Plymouth, Starship
Colony Builder II - Plymouth, Starship

Dynamix made colony games from the demo, added to the OP2 download package by OPU
Post-Release Colony Demo
Pre-Release Eden Demo
Pre-Release Plymouth Demo

Community Made - By BlackBox
Plymouth Cold War

Offline sudopudge

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2015, 10:37:02 PM »
I think that's it. At least those are all the official colony games. Some people have tried writing their own, but they're not always very polished, and not part of any download package.

... would you be interested in new colony games?

I fire the game back up every couple years or so and play through some colony games. I would really like some more, especially ones with an AI base instead of waves from off the screen. I have fun trying to figure out how to min each scenario. Also I've stalked this community for years  ;D

Edit: Wow thanks for all the great replies. Leviathan, I'm downloading Renegades and will take a look at the other colony games you posted as well. Thanks for sharing.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 10:53:49 PM by sudopudge »

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2015, 11:15:14 PM »
Well, it's about damn time you spoke up! With things picking up around here it'd be awesome to know just how many of us are still left! :D

That said... Colony Games with an AI Base... I like that idea. Hooman and I have been tossing around a couple of ideas for making building those kinds of maps a lot easier than they've been in the past. If our efforts pay off, hopefully we'll start seeing more content developed faster. ::fingers crossed::

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2015, 07:48:56 AM »
Glad you have finally signed up! You should come join us on our IRC chatroom for conversation and maybe try some multiplayer, if you can't make it on that often, just try Sundays as this is the main game day.

Your welcome. I'm in the process of trying to get together all content that the community has created..

People always liked the single and multilayer maps that included a AI, the colony one were good because you can do your colony game objectives and also go and destroy the AI.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 07:17:20 PM by Leviathan »

Offline lordpalandus

• Banned
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2015, 11:51:02 AM »
I'd just like to pipe up:

Colony Builder II, Plymouth Starship wasn't included on the Outpost 2 disc, and the only time I encountered it was when I downloaded the patched version off OPU. So I think someone here built it.
Currently working on Cataclysm of Chaos, Remade.
Link to OPU page = http://forum.outpost2.net/index.php/topic,6073.0.html

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2015, 12:47:05 PM »
Nope, It was added in one of Dynamix's 3 official Outpost 2 updates - Scenario Pack 3, December 1997.

Offline lordpalandus

• Banned
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2015, 06:32:48 PM »
Ahh, I didn't know that.
Currently working on Cataclysm of Chaos, Remade.
Link to OPU page = http://forum.outpost2.net/index.php/topic,6073.0.html

Offline dave_erald

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2015, 07:47:45 PM »
I'd be willing to put some time in making new maps if there were even a slightly quicker way to do it. If somebody could program I would like to see at least one feature added to the map editor, add a click and drag with a wide cone for throwing down multiple random tiles that are in the same family. But again I'm new and only just again picked up playing this game. If I can help I'll try.

Dave from Canada.
-David R.V.

-GMT400 fan
-OPU Influencer

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2015, 08:03:45 PM »
Makes sense to me.

I've really been unable to dig into the OP2 SDK source code as I would have liked but I'm game for working on it with you.

The feature you described should be relatively easy to do but it all depends on 1) the mapper code and 2) the way the tiles are laid out in-game. Still have yet to dig into it and figure it out but all of this is on the 'really really near future' time scale.

Offline dave_erald

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2015, 08:14:08 PM »
I'm a quick study, but will admit I know a fair amount about computers though I have never dug into coding before. Point the direction and I can learn quick enough.
-David R.V.

-GMT400 fan
-OPU Influencer

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2015, 10:22:49 PM »
This board is a good starting place: http://forum.outpost2.net/index.php/board,43.0.html

Information isn't as concise as I'd like it to be but as discussed in this post, this post and this post, we're taking some steps to make this whole thing a lot easier.

It's a shame we're as spread out as we are across the globe (well, it's both good and bad). It makes collaborating on things a little harder though we do have IRC set up.

I'm also pushing Leviathan to set up a Redmine project manager which will help us to coordinate our efforts.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2015, 03:05:31 AM »
Nice to hear from you Dave from Canada.

I too would like a feature like that in the editor. There were some attempts at that way back in the day. One of the early issues was a lack of metadata about the tiles that classified them as specific types. The tile set files are divided by terrain type, but don't distinguish between say a regular flat tile, and a ridge tile. There was some tile group data found appended to map files. It's not read by the game, but could be useful for an editor. It was extracted and I believe became part of the editor, but it seemed to be aimed more at multiple tile doodads, like volcanoes, and large meteor craters. Some of them though were just a grouping of related tiles, like rubble, or small meteor craters. Again, no metadata to describe if the group should be placed as a whole, or an individual tile selected from the group.

I think what might be done is to just find the large group of flat tiles for a given terrain type, and randomly select from that for an area placement. The problem does seem quite doable.

I should also point out this has nothing to do with the SDK used for building levels. The map editor is a different thing entirely. It's also not in the SVN, although, it probably should be. I don't think the project was updated since the SVN was created. There are different versions, but the one I remember was partly written in C++, and partly written in VB, and the source for the different parts may have been released at different times. You can search the forum for "mapper" or "map editor" to find relevant threads, including a toy tool to view the tile groups. I'd try to point out specific pages, but I'm on an unreliable internet connection and the pages don't seem to be loading. Perhaps someone else can summarize the relevant pages?

Offline dave_erald

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2015, 08:20:33 PM »
Yeah I'm just loading up Visual Studio and getting the SDK. I'm sure I'm overlooking stuff, gimme a week and I'll know if I'm of any help or not. Largely not I'm sure...
-David R.V.

-GMT400 fan
-OPU Influencer