Author Topic: Outpost 2 Documentation & Wiki  (Read 74489 times)

Offline Sirbomber

Re: Outpost 2 Documentation & Wiki
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2016, 10:03:32 PM »
I'm not aware of any list, but it'd be possible to write a tool to help with it.
Here.

Also, I cannot get the multiplayer map punwick junction to load. I am only trying to play 2 player though, so maybe it requires 4 players to work properly?

You're probably missing opu_03.map.  No great loss, don't worry.  I believe the map was just a copy (maybe slightly modified, but barely enough to matter) of La Corrida, so if you really want to run the game, make a copy of on4_01.map and rename it opu_03.map.  Running the game real quick, it looks like a copy of La Corrida (same base setup) but with the AI removed and with a mining beacon located right next to your Smelter to get your economy going faster.  However, I also seem to recall this map earning the nickname "Punf**k Junction" and being universally hated, so it's likely that it has some annoying quirk or feature that I didn't play long enough to experience.  That or my memory is bad.  :P
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 03:38:50 PM by leeor_net »
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2016, 02:02:48 AM »
Yes, I was totally thinking something similar. Imagine Google maps for Outpost 2 worlds.  :D

Actually, I think there are special JavaScript libraries for tile based maps. Makes sense, since so many games are tile based. Someone had to write it.

Offline dave_erald

« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2016, 02:48:20 PM »
Does anyone know where opu_03.map is hidden in the OP2 folder? I looked thru all the .vol files and found nothing.
-David R.V.

-GMT400 fan
-OPU Influencer

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2016, 04:56:30 PM »
It's gone.  It doesn't exist anymore.  If someone has a really old install (1.3.3 maybe) on a hard drive somewhere, or if you feel like dumpster diving through ancient forum posts, you might be able to find it, but it's probably not worth the effort.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Offline dave_erald

« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2016, 05:18:44 PM »
Then where does the La Corrida map come from? Or is it labeled differently?
-David R.V.

-GMT400 fan
-OPU Influencer

Offline Vagabond

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2016, 06:20:54 PM »
Dave,

La Corrida is DLL ml4_21.dll with Map on4_01.map. The MissionScanner that SirBomber posted makes this really easy to figure out!

SirBomber,

Mission Scanner worked perfectly! Did you program the mission scanner, or was it developed by someone else? I didn't see any documentation on the forum about it. Your tips on Punwick Junction worked as well. I plagiarized your instructions on how to get it to work and put it under the map page, in case anyone else is interested.

leeor_net,

I wouldn't mind seeing the maps in higher resolution, but what I uploaded was the version the mapper exports. If someone knows a way to export them in a higher resolution that isn't much more difficult than using the built in mapper function, then I wouldn't mind putting the time in to convert them and post them. The good news is all maps are relatively the same size, so you can tell by looking what the relative size difference is between maps.

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2016, 08:16:46 PM »
I didn't make it, nor do I know who did.

Offline dave_erald

« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2016, 10:35:44 PM »
on4_01.map found it.

The hell did I miss that? Thank you.
-David R.V.

-GMT400 fan
-OPU Influencer

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2016, 04:24:16 PM »
I think BlackBox made the mission scanner, but I'm not completely certain.

It should be possible to make a utility that can draw a map to a great big image file. It'd be huge file though. You can always scale it down to something reasonable though, or perhaps scale down the tilesets, and then draw, so you never have to deal with an image that's too large.

Offline Vagabond

• Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2016, 09:34:30 PM »
Just had a question for the structure of the wiki. We currently have an API/SDK section and a mapmaking section. What is the separation between these two sections? I thought the SDK was designed to allow making new maps.

Just taking a stab at how this should be setup, but probably fold mapmaking into the SDK section.

SDK Overview
 * Setting up Visual Studio and compiling a basic DLL
 * Overview of available helper programs like the MissionScanner, SheetsReader, MapMaker
 * How to use the mapmaker to construct new maps
 * How to use the mapmaker to construct new tilesets
 * How to program a scenario DLL
 * The inner workings of Outpost 2 as we know it
 * Repository Overview and best practices
 * Redmine Overview and best practices

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2016, 10:19:56 PM »
I'd label the section "Map Making" rather than "SDK Overview". The term "SDK" won't mean much to people that aren't already familiar with the term, but "Map Making" should be clear.

Some people specialize their time with designing maps, but not full missions. They'd learn to use the map editor, but not how to code missions for the maps. Their maps can be handed off to other people to write DLLs for a mission. And of course some people write new missions, but can't be bothered to design a new map. It might be good to organize the structure to support such differences. You're probably right about combining things into one overview section though.

It would be really nice to have an overview describing and linking to all the tools, and include a description of a typical workflow.

Offline Vagabond

• Global Moderator
« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2016, 09:46:59 PM »
I put some more time into the wiki. I'm not happy with the content on the SDK page yet and what I have written is incomplete. It will also eventually need to be merged/moved into the mapmaking section that Dave started as Hooman pointed out. I'm going to spend some time making a colony map to learn more about the SDK before I write much more on the Wiki. Sir Bomber's map tutorials are excellent.

Once we start writing in earnest on the SDK, I would like to see labels on each page for which version of the SDK it has last been validated for. Hopefully that will keep data relevant longer and make it easy for new users to spot outdated info.

Below is a list of mistakes I've made on the wiki. They need cleaned up by someone who can delete or rename files since I can apparently only create content, but not destroy pages themselves or rename them.

* Delete the namespace outpost_2 out of outpost_2 (outpost_2:outpost_2). I somehow accidentally created it.

* Delete the PNG at outpost_1:cda14605-1f25-488d-9bb7-8f3cff3d42aa.png.

* Swap the name of the 2 files outpost_2:maps:the_rift.jpg and outpost_2:maps:root_canal.jpg. I mislabeled the maps. Once the names are swapped, they will appear correctly on the maps page since they are currently showing incorrectly.

* Rename the page outpost_2:outpost_2_manual:reasearch to research. (This will break links to the page. The following 3 pages link to research right now. I can fix once the name of the page is fixed. https://wiki.outpost2.net/doku.php?id=outpost_2:outpost_2, https://wiki.outpost2.net/doku.php?id=outpost_2:storyline, https://wiki.outpost2.net/doku.php?id=outpost_2:outpost_2_manual:online_manual)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 03:39:18 PM by leeor_net »

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #62 on: January 22, 2016, 02:35:10 AM »
Thank you for working on this.

Just a quick note: BlackBox = op2hacker
I noticed both aliases are used on the sdk:helper_programs page for the authors of various tools. BlackBox is his current alias.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
« Reply #63 on: October 12, 2016, 05:02:46 PM »
Below is a list of mistakes I've made on the wiki. They need cleaned up by someone who can delete or rename files since I can apparently only create content, but not destroy pages themselves or rename them.

* Delete the namespace outpost_2 out of outpost_2 (outpost_2:outpost_2). I somehow accidentally created it.

* Delete the PNG at outpost_1:cda14605-1f25-488d-9bb7-8f3cff3d42aa.png.

* Swap the name of the 2 files outpost_2:maps:the_rift.jpg and outpost_2:maps:root_canal.jpg. I mislabeled the maps. Once the names are swapped, they will appear correctly on the maps page since they are currently showing incorrectly.

* Rename the page outpost_2:outpost_2_manual:reasearch to research. (This will break links to the page. The following 3 pages link to research right now. I can fix once the name of the page is fixed. https://wiki.outpost2.net/doku.php?id=outpost_2:outpost_2, https://wiki.outpost2.net/doku.php?id=outpost_2:storyline, https://wiki.outpost2.net/doku.php?id=outpost_2:outpost_2_manual:online_manual)

Have implemented this as of today.

Now that I have direct access to the filesystem involved in the wiki installation I can readily make corrections like this so let me know if there are any other mistakes that need to be cleared.

Also if there are any plugins that you think would be a good additional let me know and I'll get them installed.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 03:39:33 PM by leeor_net »

Offline Vagabond

• Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: October 12, 2016, 11:12:46 PM »
Leeor_net,

Thank you for fixing these issues! I think the updated theme looks great!

Is there a way to change the browser icon to the Outpost Universe symbol as opposed to the doku wiki icon? (The icon next to the title page on the tab at the top of the browser or that displays next to the link on the favorites menu.)

I have been pretty happy with the current customizations that I can make without any additional plugins.

-Brett

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #65 on: October 12, 2016, 11:42:48 PM »
I knew I was forgetting something.

Yes, it's called a favicon, just need to drop one into the directory. Should have that up and ready in a short bit.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #66 on: October 13, 2016, 06:11:51 PM »
Looking good.

Offline Vagabond

• Global Moderator
« Reply #67 on: November 03, 2016, 01:11:44 PM »
Hey everyone,

I've been putting more time into the wiki. In particular, polishing the Outpost 2 SDK (mapmaking) section. Some of the topics were a little disorganzied and scattered, so I attempted to unify everything and place all the content into sections that make intuitive sense. If anyone reviews, please let me know if anything is missed or wrong. https://wiki.outpost2.net/doku.php?id=op2_sdk:software_development_kit_sdk.

The only real new content in the SDK is how to open multiple instances of Outpost 2 for debugging multiplayer scenarios. It came in handy when working on Outpost Monopoly and thought I would share. https://wiki.outpost2.net/doku.php?id=op2_sdk:debugging_scenarios

The next task I would like to cover on the SDK is editing tile sets, but I don't have the experience to write about it yet. The wiki only covers a smattering of the Outpost 2 C++ API. I wouldn't mind rounding this section out, but what I've written so far is scattered and disorganized. Sirbomber's tutorials are already pretty good and can teach people much of what they need anyways. The wiki section on Mapmaking needs to be fleshed out as well.

Outpost 2 Maps Section

As discussed some with Leoor on a separate post, I would like to cut the Outpost 2 maps section in separate pages for Campaign, Colony Games, Multiplayer, Custom (not included in Outpost 2 download), and maybe a misc section (for things like the demo & tutorial maps). I think the Outpost 2 maps page has grown too large and there are more maps to still add. If anyone has preferences for how this all works and looks please let me know. Right now I plan to stick to grouping all scenarios that use the same map underneath that map. Unless the map has both single and muliplayer scenarios associated and I guess then the map would have to be listed on both pages. This makes sense to me so the wiki isn't drawing the same map for each entry of a scenario that uses it.  https://wiki.outpost2.net/doku.php?id=outpost_2:maps

Outpost 2 Technical Review

I added a section on Outpost 2 technical review. This is supposed to be for writing out about how the game can be or has been edited beyond making new maps and scenarios. Things like editing the videos, music, VOL files, .HLP file, etc. It is mostly just stubs right now. https://wiki.outpost2.net/doku.php?id=outpost_2:technical_review
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 03:39:58 PM by leeor_net »

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #68 on: November 03, 2016, 06:32:14 PM »
Looks really good -- I can see where some of the information needs to be fleshed out but I think you have considerably more experience with it than I do. Sirbomber's input would be helpful I think but as I understand he's using a highly modified version of the SDK or something like that.

I think your possibility for the maps section works -- I would just break the different types into their own pages and cross-reference them from the main maps page.

Technical review is a good idea, not sure I'd call it that specifically. I don't have a better suggestion so it should be fine for now.

Great work!

I still need to finish the research and OP1 online versions of the manual...  :-\

Offline Vagabond

• Global Moderator
« Reply #69 on: November 20, 2016, 11:40:52 AM »
I finished up reformating the Outpost 2 Maps page. See the post here for details: https://forum.outpost2.net/index.php/topic,5903.msg84083/topicseen.html.

I also finished up a section on Outpost 2 Easter Eggs! You can check it out here: https://wiki.outpost2.net/doku.php?id=outpost_2:easter_eggs.

Fixing 2 Wiki Mistakes:

Leeor, would you mind going in and deleting the media namespace outpost_2:easter_egg and the file scat.gif from the Wiki? I accidentally uploaded it there when I meant outpost_2:easter_eggs in instead. The GIF is included and referenced from the proper namespace, so deleting the non-plural namespace will not cause any issues with the wiki.

Also, could you move the page maps:eden_campaign_maps to outpost_2:maps:eden_campaign_maps. This will cause a broken link on the main maps page, but I can go back and fix that once the page is moved. I forgot the Outpost_2 namespace prefix when creating the page.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 03:40:15 PM by leeor_net »

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #70 on: November 20, 2016, 07:19:52 PM »
These two issues appear to already be corrected.

Easiest way to 'delete' a page is to simply delete all the contents of the page and then save. DokuWiki will purge it from the cache after a few minutes.

I don't see the scat.gif file or the easter_egg namespace you mentioned so I'll assume same thing, DokuWiki already purged empty files.

Also, I updated the start page to use visual links instead of just the text links... hopefully it works well for navigation.

Offline dave_erald

« Reply #71 on: November 21, 2016, 10:53:20 AM »
The wiki link for downloading the mapper or other tools (it links to outpost2.net/dltools.php) appears to be inoperative.

Was going to re-download the OP2Mapper as the version I had on my computer has disappeared or something...

EDIT=> Found my copy, this still needs looking into
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 10:55:49 AM by dave_erald »
-David R.V.

-GMT400 fan
-OPU Influencer

Offline Vagabond

• Global Moderator
« Reply #72 on: November 24, 2016, 02:29:33 AM »
Dave,

I fixed the download links on the Outpost 2 Helper page. I didn't realize anyone used that page. The original links used the Outpost 2 web page that had the tools. This page was never re-added after the website update. The wiki now links directly to the files themselves as opposed to the dead page.

Leeor,

I think the icons are an improvement. Thank you for adding them. There are a lot under Outpost 2 (10 total). Maybe we should look at reducing the number of main topics, not sure? I think the icons might look better if they are a little smaller. It would be really cool if someone artistic redesigned them to look more Outpost themed. :)

Thanks for the tip on deleting pages. This worked great and I moved the Eden Maps page into the proper namespace. Here is a direct link to the SCAT gif I want deleted: http://wiki.outpost2.net/doku.php?image=outpost_2%3Aeaster_egg%3Ascat.gif&ns=outpost_2%3Aeaster_egg&tab_details=view&do=media&tab_files=files (Note, this link will probably not work if someone does not have a user account in the wiki).

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #73 on: November 25, 2016, 06:39:55 AM »
I think the icons are an improvement. Thank you for adding them. There are a lot under Outpost 2 (10 total). Maybe we should look at reducing the number of main topics, not sure?

Not sure we really need to reduce the count... actually I already did from the original list that was in place. But I'm certainly open to suggestions.

I think the icons might look better if they are a little smaller. It would be really cool if someone artistic redesigned them to look more Outpost themed. :)

Smaller I can agree with. They do resize dynamically based on the size of the window in which they're opened. I opted for big so that it would be difficult to miss them or mistake what they are.

As for new art -- I'm also totally game. These all came from a couple of free icon packs that generally represented what I was looking for. I'm no artist though...

Offline Vagabond

• Global Moderator
« Reply #74 on: January 02, 2017, 02:44:05 AM »
I'm still poking through the Wiki and making occasional updates.

I finally managed to get Greenworld to work with the Outpost 2 mapper. Unfortunately, it seemed to take poor minimap pictures of Greenworld maps. Intead, loading the maps from within Outpost 2 and using in game minimap screen shots seemed to produce better results. All the Greenworld maps I'm aware of including McShay's bridgework is in the maps section now with pictures.

I found the scenario Battle of the Blight (by onehand) and added it as well. Very interesting concept and seems playable. Haven't had the opportunity to actually play it multiplayer though. Somehow I missed Sirbomber’s scenario Judgement Day. Once I get it added and look into the multitek sandbox scenarios, I think everything will be up to date in the custom scenarios section.

Outpost 2 Mission Coding
I've made some minor improvements to Outpost 2 SDK pages. The SDK documentation as a whole is still disorganized and incomplete. A couple of sections like creating the initial Visual Studio Project and adding a modal dialog box for mission briefings are well done, but much of the bulk of documenting the SDK is unwritten.

Leeor or someone with admin rights:
When we updated the wiki theme to match the rest of the Outpost 2 site, the syntax highlighting for source code was not updated. Due to the dark background, some code had become very hard to read due to its color being too close to the background. Some of the syntax should be switched to lighter colors. See this page and CTRL+F the word NULL to see what I mean: http://wiki.outpost2.net/doku.php?id=op2_sdk:textdialogbox.

Some of the affected reserved words/symbols are: enum, null, &, true, +, -, and class.

Pulling from another post into this one: http://forum.outpost2.net/index.php/topic,5804.msg84299.html#msg84299
In the mean time, do you think you'd have time to put together usage samples on the Wiki? One of the goals for the wiki is to provide tutorials and coding examples and such and this and the other things you've worked on I think are prime things to work with for setting up a development section.

Leeor & Sirbomber,

I think Sirbomber's tutorials on the forum are a pretty good way to work through the inns and outs of how to program the guts of the scenario. If I were to add more tutorials to the wiki, it would probably be copying fairly large chunks of this, which I don't mind working on. I do like the idea of getting this code into the wiki and nicely indexed as opposed to sifting through the forum post. Not sure how Sirbomber feels about all this or it is something he would want to work on since he has already put a lot of time into the forum tutorials?