Author Topic: OutpostHD - An Outpost Redesign  (Read 19541 times)

Offline White Claw

Re: OutpostHD - An Outpost Redesign
« Reply #100 on: March 27, 2018, 09:58:50 PM »
I'm still around also, checking the forums periodically. Things were a bit crazy for me the last couple months, but I'm hoping all that will stay settled. I've not made any new buildings in a while, though I did start some 3D modeling again just a couple weeks ago (not Outpost related). Going to try to finish that project over the next couple weeks (if work doesn't stop me), then perhaps back over to remaking the buildings.

Cheers!

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #101 on: March 28, 2018, 02:23:52 AM »
Cool, great to hear from both of you.

I just checked out the PVS-Studio Analyzer website. Neat little tool. Looks to do the same sort of thing as Coverity Scan.

White Claw, what's your other project? Anything worth starting a new thread about?

Offline White Claw

« Reply #102 on: March 28, 2018, 08:13:09 PM »
White Claw, what's your other project? Anything worth starting a new thread about?

Probably nothing worth an entire new thread, but I went ahead and added it to the other 3D modeling thread since it's completely off topic here.

http://forum.outpost2.net/index.php/topic,5951.msg86223.html#msg86223

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
    • LairWorks Entertainment
« Reply #103 on: March 28, 2018, 09:24:14 PM »
I just checked out the PVS-Studio Analyzer website. Neat little tool. Looks to do the same sort of thing as Coverity Scan.

It basically is but it integrates well with Visual Studio and its code analysis has helped me find many bugs in my other project Rogue Arena. I didn't realize how useful static code analysis was. It also turns out that Visual Studio has static code analysis built into it even in the free community edition though it missed a lot of what PVS-Studio flagged (and found things PVS-Studio missed).
- Leeor
LairWorks Entertainment

Titanum UFO's

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #104 on: March 29, 2018, 08:03:13 AM »
I love static code analysis.  :)

Which is also one of the reasons why I like compiled languages. They generally do at least some basic syntax and semantic checking up front during the compile stage, so you can catch a whole wide range of errors easily and quickly.

Then there are other software packages (I think one culprit was MatLab), where a program can run for an hour before aborting with a syntax error.  >:(

When I first moved to Ruby, I sorely missed the syntax check from a compile phase. Automated tests become a lot more important in a language like that. Which unfortunately have to be manually written.

It is impressive though what some of those C++ static analysis tools can catch, which a compiler typically won't check for. Glad you got that working.  :)

Offline JetMech1999

« Reply #105 on: March 30, 2018, 05:15:46 PM »
Glad to hear everyone is doing well and that none of you fell off the planet.  Looking forward to the status updates (when life gives you a few moments to post them) as well as any new graphics (test or otherwise).