Author Topic: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy  (Read 2184 times)

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
« on: August 16, 2015, 09:04:41 PM »
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Who has read it? (I have)
Who has watched the movie? (I haven't)

Great sense of humour. I always loved Marvin the manic depressed robot. Some great lines from that book too.

"The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't."

“You know," said Arthur, "it's at times like this, when I'm trapped in a Vogon airlock with a man from Betelgeuse, and about to die of asphyxiation in deep space that I really wish I'd listened to what my mother told me when I was young."
"Why, what did she tell you?"
"I don't know, I didn't listen.”

“For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen.”

"Another thing that got forgotten was the fact that against all probability a sperm whale had suddenly been called into existence several miles above the surface of an alien planet.
And since this is not a naturally tenable position for a whale, this poor innocent creature had very little time to come to terms with its identity as a whale before it then had to come to terms with not being a whale any more."

“Sorry, did I say something wrong?" said Marvin, dragging himself on regardless. "Pardon me for breathing, which I never do anyway so I don't know why I bother to say it, oh God I'm so depressed. Here's another one of those self-satisfied doors. Life! Don't talk to me about life.”

“Come on,” he droned, “I’ve been ordered to take you down to the bridge. Here I am, brain the size of a planet and they ask me to take you down to the bridge. Call that job satisfaction? ’Cos I don’t.”
He turned and walked back to the hated door.
“Er, excuse me,” said Ford following after him, “which government owns this ship?”
Marvin ignored him.
“You watch this door,” he muttered, “it’s about to open again. I can tell by the intolerable air of smugness it suddenly generates.”

“And all dared to brave unknown terrors, to do mighty deeds, to boldly split infinitives that no man had split before--and thus was the Empire forged.”

“...they discovered only a small asteroid inhabited by a solitary old man who claimed repeatedly that nothing was true, though he was later discovered to be lying.”

Offline Leviathan

Re: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 09:34:20 AM »
I really liked it. I've read only the first book of 4/5?

The BBC series is really good. I did not like to hollywood film so much.

Marvin has been in a car park. What have you been doing?, parking cars!

Great!

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Re: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 09:38:28 AM »
Yeah, I never watched the movie. It looked pretty terrible, and I kept hearing bad things about it. The books were great though. I had all 5 parts in one book.