Author Topic: How to Get Oupost 1.5 to work on windows 7  (Read 2980 times)

Offline rman88

How to Get Oupost 1.5 to work on windows 7
« on: August 06, 2015, 03:27:05 PM »
ya i cant quite figure out how to do it. every time i try to install it i end up getting and error message. such as you cannot install this program as it is not 64 bit. i tried this with the retail and this sights versions of the game. so is the only way to get it to work is by using an emulator? or is their some other easier way to do it?

Offline Drakmar

• NTCS Administrator
    • New Terran Command Site
Re: How to Get Oupost 1.5 to work on windows 7
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 06:42:55 PM »
Outpost 1.5 is a 16-bit application, support for which was removed from 64-bit versions of Windows. You could try it out in DOSBox, or run it within a virtual machine, but it's not likely to ever work natively in any current or future version of Windows 64-bit.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
    • LairWorks Entertainment
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2015, 04:49:05 PM »
DOSBox with Win 3.1. Works pretty well actually.

Maybe we should consider something like that as a distribution? Going to have to look into this now...

EDIT:

Okay, I took a little time, there isn't an official release at the moment but you can get a VM already set up for you here:

http://www.filedropper.com/outpost15

Simply extract the ZIP file anywhere you want. Run OUTPOST.BAT. It will auto launch Windows 3.1 for you with all of the correct settings.

It unfortunately doesn't play as well as I'd like and displays the same sluggish performance you would have gotten on original hardware back at the time... so I suppose it's a very authentic experience. :)

EDIT 2:

http://www.filedropper.com/op15

This one includes video and music with an updated version of Windows set up with an 800x600 resolution. Should work better. Also there are two BAT files, one for original sluggish performance and one that provides better performance but requires a beefier machine.

Leviathan is putting together an installer script that should make distributing the game easier.

EDIT 3:

http://files.outpostuniverse.org/game/Outpost1.zip

Stable link. No installer yet but this does the job. Just extract and run one of the *.BAT files ("Outpost.bat" or "Outpost - High Performance.bat"). The 'high performance' option just runs the DOSBox VM/Emulator with a higher number of CPU cycles. Any newer computer can run this though some computers (like my laptop) struggle with it a bit.

EDIT 4:

http://outpost2.net/files/op1/outpost1.5_emu.zip

Final stable link on the Outpost2.net domain.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 06:35:13 AM by leeor_net »
- Leeor
LairWorks Entertainment

Titanum UFO's

Offline lordpalandus

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 05:30:44 PM »
If you are going to use DosBox, you might find using D-Fend Reloaded will help out a lot. It allows you to do a lot of things with DosBox in a less hassle sort of way and saves those settings for a game. For example, I used it to play an older game called Dungeons of the Unforgiven on it. However, to make it even slightly playable, I had to change the CPU cycles to about 20000 or so. With D-Fend Reloaded, it would keep track of that setting so that any time I loaded up DOTU it would be with 20000 CPU cycles.
BAM! You've been facehugged! Have a great day!

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 08:01:47 PM »
This is true but Leviathan and I are actually putting together a downloadable package that will install everything as a VM using DosBox to emulate Windows 3.11. The build I put together for him works really well. Need to poke him a few times until we get it uploaded.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 06:35:41 AM by leeor_net »
- Leeor
LairWorks Entertainment

Titanum UFO's

Offline lordpalandus

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 11:02:24 PM »
You are going to use a virtual machine to use dosbox to emulate windows 3.1? Sounds a bit overly complicated. Why would you need a virtual machine to do that? Also, how would dosbox work to emulate windows 3.1 when it only (afaik) emulate MS DOS? I can understand using a VM to emulate windows 3.1, but I'm unsure how dosbox fits into the equation...?
BAM! You've been facehugged! Have a great day!

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 08:43:14 AM »
DOSBox is the VM.

Windows 3.1 was a DOS program. Hence, it works fine in DOSBox. I guess I worded it strangely.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 08:30:56 PM by leeor_net »
- Leeor
LairWorks Entertainment

Titanum UFO's

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2015, 04:11:41 AM »
Thanks for putting together the package leeor. Tested, and working well with sound and music :) I have tried to make an installer but some reason it crashes so will try fixing it or an alternative later.

For now here is the zip: Outpost1.zip