Author Topic: New Laptop  (Read 4621 times)

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
New Laptop
« on: June 07, 2015, 03:56:03 PM »
I bought a new laptop. I picked out the cheapest model in the store. I like it. It's much better than the one that was stolen. It's got twice as many cores, each about 30% faster, it's 64-bit instead of 32-bit, it's got 4x the memory, it's much quieter, it doesn't get nearly so hot, it's much lighter, and best of all, it's small enough to fit inside a locked box in my room.

On the down side, it's got a regular hard drive rather than an SSD (the one and only upgrade to the old laptop, which is probably the only reason why it was still usable), and it has noticeably less screen space (11.6" instead of 15.4"). The smaller size makes it a little nicer for travelling, but I also had to increase the font size to read easily. There's also no DVD drive, so I don't get to watch Despicable Me. I picked up that movie for $1.50, but never had a chance to watch before the old computer was stolen.

The increase in memory is actually a pretty big deal. Assumptions have changed about much memory people generally have. I can actually do stuff on this machine that I simply couldn't do on the old one.

Offline onehand

Re: New Laptop
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 11:49:18 PM »
Nice! I agree on the memory. I was running 3GB triple channel on my desktop for around 6-7 years then finally upgraded it to 12GB. I was surprised at how much it improved overall performance.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 01:47:10 AM »

My new laptop has 2GB of RAM. The old one had 512MB.  :(

A 12GB system is just unimaginable to me.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 10:22:56 PM »
Good freaking grief. I can't operate with less than 4GB... but then, I'm running all kinds of things on my machines at any given time.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 04:38:06 AM »
Yeah, I'm thinking if I get something new, it'd need at least 4GB. For a single user I find 2GB is usually fine, but I sometimes use user switching to let someone else use the computer for a bit, and it can get a bit sluggish with two people logged in running stuff. It's also possible to make it sluggish with just one person and lots of browser tabs open. Browsers are so memory hungry now.

Offline Fenrisul

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2015, 06:16:10 PM »
How the hell did you find a laptop with only 2gb of RAM in this day and age? O.o

My phone has 2gb of RAM.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 05:26:25 AM »
I walked into a computer store in a third world country and bought the cheapest model they had.  :D

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2015, 09:47:04 AM »
Glad you got a replacement laptop :) What model number is it?

Shame no SSD..!

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2015, 09:24:14 AM »
Aspire E11. I'm missing the SSD. I do appreciate the increase in disk space though. An equivalent sized SSD would cost more than my current machine.

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2015, 09:53:31 AM »
Aspire E11 not bad, would be nicer to have a larger screen and such. I've seen a few of them. Reason I asked the model was as I run a PC shop i'm familiar with a lot of laptops and such. Pain to change these to SSD anyway, gotta open whole laptop up.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2015, 10:49:17 AM »
The screen is a little small, but I wanted something light and portable. Something that's convenient to travel with.

If there's anything I'd want to upgrade, I think it would be the amount of RAM first, then maybe an SSD.