Author Topic: Laptop was stolen  (Read 2409 times)

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Laptop was stolen
« on: May 03, 2015, 05:11:13 AM »
Bah! My laptop was stolen.

Unlike a usual theft though, I got a text message attempting to ransom it's return for $150. The joke was on them though. It's not worth that much. It was bought from a second hand store about 10 years ago. I ran a backup maybe 2-3 days before it was stolen, and hadn't much used it since then. Instead I decided to mess with the thieves when they called to make their ransom demand.

"Hello"
"You want laptop back..."
"Hello"
"You want..."
"Hello"
"You want laptop back, pay..."
"Hello, I can't hear"
"You want laptop..."
"Can you speak up"
"You want laptop back..."
"Sorry, the connection isn't very good, can you say again?"
"You want ..."
"Hello?"
;)

I did that for two days before the accomplice called me to say "hello" at random intervals. :p Sounds like they're learning. Now if only they'd learn to properly appraise laptops before stealing them.

I heard through the grape vine that my laptop made it round to various pawn shops, where not one would buy it for so much as $10. I had to laugh at that.

In other news, I'm currently without a Windows  machine.

Offline Sirbomber

Re: Laptop was stolen
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 12:42:05 PM »
Now, if you had just installed a remote-detonated bomb into your laptop, you could have been the one ransoming them.

Sometimes it pays to be paranoid.  ;)
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 01:46:25 PM »
It's not paranoia if they're really out to get you!  :o

Although, that idea is tempting. It also ensures no sensitive data is compromised. I do however lose the hardwrae. Maybe just have it set off a Rick Roll in an infinite loop instead. And solar panels so the battery doesn't die.

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 07:56:40 PM »
You've lost the hardware anyways at that point, remember?  Because, you know, it's been stolen.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline onehand

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 09:59:12 PM »
Maybe just have it set off a Rick Roll in an infinite loop instead.

Or a Dennis Nedry loop. "Ah ah ah, you didn't say the magic word!"

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 01:03:40 PM »
Lol.

Last I heard, the laptop kidnapper still has my hardware, so there is a remote chance of recovering it. Certainly a greater chance than if a bomb inside of it went off.

Funny how I ran into one of laptop kidnappers accidentally a few days later. We sat and had a nice pleasant cordial conversation. At least we did up until the laptop was mentioned, then things went quickly downhill.