Author Topic: Outpost 2 on GOG.com? Any compatibility issues?  (Read 7818 times)

Offline tytbone

Outpost 2 on GOG.com? Any compatibility issues?
« on: November 11, 2013, 10:04:39 PM »
Hey Outpost fans,

I cannot claim to be an Outpost fan myself, but I am a fan of seeing highly-desired older games coming to GOG. Having come across Outpost 2 on the GOG wishlist - http://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/outpost_2_divided_destiny - I figured I'd try to get some info on it. (I don't actually work for GOG but I am occasionally in contact with one of the staff members.)

It appears to have been published by Sierra/Activision, and they're already on GOG. However, I'm guessing there are some compatibility issues that may be holding a re-release back. Has the community developed any highly-important fan patches that GOG would want to include? (The original Outpost could be played in DOSBox, but http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outpost_%28computer_game%29#Critical_reaction seems to suggest it might not be worth bringing back.)

What are your thoughts on a possible re-release?

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Re: Outpost 2 on GOG.com? Any compatibility issues?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 01:01:49 AM »
Hello.

First, allow me to start off by laughing at some of the posts in the first link.  The idea of calling Outpost 2 another "version" of the original Outpost game as if it were a revision (to me) demonstrates a person who has not actually played either game for more than a few minutes.  Additionally, the thought of the original being better with it's many game-crashing bugs gives opportunity for a face palm.

As to the critical review, I am wondering if the "bugginess" part was meant for the first game.  What killed Outpost 2's potential was the fact that people saw the title, thought of the first game riddled with all kinds of bugs and rather dry game play, and decided not to give it a chance.  It is a case of a game that is a sequel in title and more of a "well, here's what we should have done" in execution.

On to the actual question, though.  Yes, it was published by Sierra Online as it was known back then.  As Activision has bought out the company, they most likely hold the trademarks and associated legal rights to the game.  As a community that has continued to play a game from 1997, we have had to make our own tweaks here and there to make sure the game runs, but I know personally that the original CD version runs fine on windows 7.

Personally, if the game were re-released, I would like to see some of the features we were promised but didn't make it into the game integrated (one such feature was a built in map/scenario editor, but a member of the community managed to make a very nice map editor himself).  Overall, this game is a great example of the idea that the gameplay is one of the most important aspects of the game and a re-release would give new players a chance to experience it.
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 01:28:00 PM »
I'll just second CK9's opinion here.

Though, some changes to the original game has been made, which would be nice to see in a re-release as well. (Like Unit limit)
There can be Only one. Wipe Them out. All of Them.

Old player still playing. Visit Spark for a game of Outpost 2

Offline CK9

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 05:19:16 PM »
I forgot about the unit cap extension.  Wasn't the original limit mainly due to the limits of memory at the time?
CK9 in outpost
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...

Offline Hidiot

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 06:10:08 AM »
The community here has done several things to the game, which includes a patch to allow the game to resize properly on bigger resolutions, removing the in-built cheats because they worked in multiplayer and an attempt to create its own server to replace the old WON. These are just the big ones I know of, besides the unit (though more accurately entity) cap being increased to its hard-cap or close enough (to 2048 from 1024).

As for compatibility issues, there are none that I know of.
In windows 7, the game window does get surrounded by a border that partly obstructs the minimize and quit buttons. The buttons can still be pressed, but I guess some people might find it annoying.
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline CK9

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 10:35:54 AM »
Those boarders are removed if you don't use Aero (which might be a good idea anyway since Aero is a memory hog)
CK9 in outpost

Offline tytbone

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2013, 06:13:29 PM »
Thanks for the info, all. I sent an email to GOG and copy-pasted some of text here, suggesting they see if some of the fan patches could be applied. (Even if they can't apply them [only under certain circumstances are they applied, usually if a game is extremely buggy without the fan patch], people could be re-directed here from the game forum on GOG.)

Offline Flashy

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 03:23:51 PM »
Good to know that people are interested, I am going to bookmark that.
Praise the mighty light towers!!!

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2013, 05:01:27 PM »
Fingers crossed, if this becomes a reality I might actually start playing again.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline MultiSteveB

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2014, 12:02:41 AM »
I'm hoping that GoG Games can be convinced to offer Outpost, or at least Outpost and Outpost 2 together.