Author Topic: Hello All  (Read 2908 times)

Offline ultima9

Hello All
« on: June 17, 2013, 08:58:26 PM »
Hello!
I was shocked to find this forum still populated by people playing Outpost 1&2.  I have recently been creating a (rather large) DOSBox setup including all of my old favorite games.  Outpost 1 (v1.5) is now up and running perfectly, and although Outpost 2 is a Win95 game, i have a triple-boot setup (Win8/WinXP/Ubuntu) in which i can use XP to play the majority of the Win95 games.  

I've always loved Outpost, even though the original release was buggy as all heck.  Outpost 2 has never left my "CD rack of games i play a lot" even though i don't really play it all that much - there just really isn't anything that has ever come out since that compares to it or replaces it.  

I've never considered modding it, even though i have modded many other games.  After reading through this forum it has sparked a need to tweak a few things.  I haven't gotten into anything in any real depth, but it looks as though tweaking basic stats is easy enough.  

So, tonight i get Outpost 2 up and running once again.  To show how long i've had this, i found the case for the game empty (noooo!) only to find the disk stuck in an old CD-ROM tray - you know, the old (OLD) fashioned removable trays that were totally separate from the drive itself!  (yeah, i'd be willing to bet that most people don't even recall that type of drive, lol)

As a side note, for those of you who still have the cd version of Outpost 2, i'd recommend heading over to fileplanet and grabbing the 4 patches for the game.  Now that fileplanet is in "archive mode", who knows how much longer it will be available...  and the more of us who keep a copy of the maps and patches released for it the more likely the game will continue to circulate around.  

Anyways, happy gaming.  Even though i don't really see myself multiplaying the game much (i'm more of a slooooooow builder / sandbox player), i'm sure you'll see me lurking around now and then.  Who knows, maybe i'll even get around to creating a neat map at some point.  *wave*

-u9
-u9

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
Hello All
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 11:01:45 PM »
Hello and welcome to the forum :)

Multiplayer has different types of game play - some where you need to co-operate against an AI and escape from the blight. Might be something for you if you like the singleplayer.
There can be Only one. Wipe Them out. All of Them.

Old player still playing. Visit Spark for a game of Outpost 2

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
Hello All
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 03:31:23 PM »
Welcome!

Multiplayer doesn't have to be quick combat. It all depends on what players want. And you are clearly not the first one who prefers sandbox mode.

But how are there 4 patches? I only know about 3 (official ones).

Offline ultima9

Hello All
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 07:19:57 PM »
There are 3 official add-on packs that addressed a few bugs, and a fix for the pie chart map. (It just replaces the original pie-chart map from the first add-on pack i believe.)

And i was not aware of a co-op mode multiplayer.  That does sound interesting.  I'll have to check it out!

-u9

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Hello All
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 11:55:05 PM »
Welcome. :)