Author Topic: 0x124 Bsods.  (Read 3387 times)

Offline Hidiot

0x124 Bsods.
« on: May 04, 2013, 09:34:08 AM »
So, I've been having some very annoying freezes and BSODs with error code 0x124, which generally implies a hardware failure.

What seriously bugs me, however, is the way it tends to freeze. I've noticed that most freezes like to happen AFTER I close a game, for instance. Even today, about 5 minutes after I ran a 2.5-hour long CPU torture test with no errors, everything smooth (aside for the usual 100 degree C temperatures), the thing freezes completely.

So, I'm writing this mostly to ask if anyone knows something about such behavior. If anyone cares for more details, just ask.
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
0x124 Bsods.
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 01:04:32 PM »
I've never had a computer that can get that hot. Certainly not for that long. Most CPUs I've used will clock down or power off before they reach that point. But I believe some CPUs are rated at about the point you mentioned.

I did have a server that started choking on a run that was going for a few days due to heat. We ended up opening the case and blowing dust off the heat sinks with a can of compressed air. We also checked to make sure the heat sinks were properly seated. It seemed fine after that. But that was a performance issue due to the CPUs scaling back, not a crashing issue.

Either way though, I kind of have to wonder if improving the cooling system in your computer would be an option?

Offline Hidiot

0x124 Bsods.
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 06:40:31 AM »
Well, I do have an HP laptop (Pav. dv6). It's been running at those temperatures since I have it. I do run a table fan next to it nowadays, to at least cool the metal top casing, AND a stand for it.

What I find funny regarding the temperatures is how they jump the moment the processor starts doing something.
Say it's idle, then the temperatures will sit around 40 C. The moment the CPU starts working at 100% for something, the temperatures shown jump up by 30. Is that normal?

Anyway, I intend to get the CPU cleaned up soon... wonder if that'll help or not.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
0x124 Bsods.
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 03:40:13 PM »
Cleaning dust off a heat sink will help a surprising amount with temperatures. I find CPU temperature can increase quite rapidly going from idle to full load. I have an underpowered CPU, with a fairly puny heat sink, and it seems to be able to increase in temperature by about 5 degrees C per second. At idle it's probably about 40C, and can increase fairly rapidly over a few seconds to about 70C, and then maybe creep up slowly to about 80C. That's about the hottest I've ever seen it though.

Offline Hidiot

0x124 Bsods.
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 06:29:31 AM »
I see.

Well, I should have mentioned that my CPU (an Intel Core i5 M540 @ 2.53Ghz) has a max operating temperature of 105 C, as set by Intel.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 06:29:49 AM by Hidiot »

Offline Hidiot

0x124 Bsods.
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 05:45:00 AM »
So, I went and had the processor cleaned and... Hooman was right, that solved everything.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
0x124 Bsods.
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 07:52:31 PM »
Glad to be of help. :)

I assume the temperatures are much lower now?

Offline Hidiot

0x124 Bsods.
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 05:23:21 AM »
That too, far as I've seen so far they go up to only around 80-85 now.