Author Topic: Game Server Changeover  (Read 4981 times)

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Game Server Changeover
« on: February 19, 2013, 10:36:44 PM »
To access the game server, change the GameServerAddr setting in Outpost2.ini to:
GameServerAddr="outpost2.net:47800"

The old machine running the game server is being retired. Please use the new address above.

The SVN repository will also be down for a while. I've made a backup of the data, but I don't currently have a plan in place for where the repository will move to. It might be nice to run it on the same machine as the web server, but I believe another user is already running an SVN server there, so the port is currently taken.

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
Game Server Changeover
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 04:33:59 AM »
So the hardware change / new OS install didn't work well? Or do you just need the machine for something else?

Shouldn't we be working on a new Outpost2 download package, now?

As for the svn server: Its important... I think, its possible that the svn server which is currently running on outpost2.net is the one of the genesis project. If that is the case, it can be replaced. It might also be possible to run an svn server on a non-standard port.

There is also the git repository, which would be ok to use for me, but not preferred, if it worked.

The server owner is lurking around here. Ask him to help.

Off-Topic: Whats going on with the xmpp server? Its been extremely unstable, lately. And right now I can't connect.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 04:38:32 AM by TH300 »

Offline Savant_Ace

• http://www.spitfire-sa.com/
Game Server Changeover
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 07:11:23 AM »
+1 on instability of XMPP and cannot connect right now.

Offline Galactic

• Administrator
    • http://www.konker.net
Game Server Changeover
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 04:47:12 PM »
XMPP Fixed. There is a new update for the XMPP server that just came out. I will install it this weekend. Hopefully that will fix the recent instability.
Take me to your leader! I bare the claws of a corndog.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Game Server Changeover
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 12:24:04 AM »
So the hardware change / new OS install didn't work well? Or do you just need the machine for something else?
It hasn't gone as smoothly as I'd hoped. I need a new machine up and running, which I'd already been delaying for far too long, and I can't run both systems due to availability of space, power, and noise concerns.

I was hoping it'd be a simple matter of recompiling the game server on the new machine. I couldn't just copy the game server over, as it wasn't recognized as a valid binary on the new system, probably due to 32/64-bit architecture difference, and perhaps different versions of system libraries too. I tried recompiling, which required a few source code changes to account for updated language standards/compilers, and it produced a file which runs, but the game is unable to connect. I've configured firewall rules, and just doubled checked that to ensure it was the right port and protocol, but still no go. I'm wondering if the 64-bit compile might have caused some of the structs describing the network packets to expand, which would likely cause packets to be dropped as invalid. I don't really have the time to investigate at the moment.

I also still need to make a few tweaks to the new system which will likely require a few more restarts and such. As this will all be disruptive, I figure it's probably best to switch to the OPU copy of the game server. This is something I had wanted to transition to, but not quite like this. I had hoped to minimize disruption by performing the switch-over with the release of a new game package with updated server info.

A new package should be put together. I don't have time for anything substantial right now. I had already committed the game server address change a long while back ... to SVN, which is now offline. I might have committed some fairly minor NetFix updates. I was hoping for a more substantial release, but perhaps what's currently there can just be rolled into a new package. I don't think the game version number has been updated, but that probably doesn't matter as there were no compatibility changes to the game. It might be confusing to release a package where the game version number doesn't match the package name though. Also, there was mention of the menu music, which I should probably start a poll about.

I can probably get the SVN server back up on the new machine. It might have been nice to move that somewhere with a faster internet connection though. I spoke to gpgarrettboast, who I believe is running the SVN server on the OPU machine. There was mention of merging the repositories, but currently no clear plan is in place. This is something I'd like to deal with when I'm a little less sleep deprived.

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
Game Server Changeover
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 01:13:26 AM »
A transition from 32 bit to 64 bit can indeed make things incompatible. Compilers like to align structs to the gpr size and also make int as big as a gpr. My guess is that the issues are caused by this. But since the announcement has already been made, I see no point in looking into this right now. We should avoid more confusion and just keep the game server on outpost2.net from now on.

A new package should not be rushed. If you don't have time right now, it could be better to delay it. Or maybe make a minimal change (i.e. only change the game server address and nothing else) and name the package "1.3.5.1". Later, when you have enough time, I'd like to have all possible NetFix improvements included.

As for the svn server: its probably not needed immediately. Just don't wait longer than a few months.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 01:14:56 AM by TH300 »

Offline HaXtOr

• http://www.wtfmoogle.com
Game Server Changeover
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 07:19:05 PM »
I have 12 servers I can setup for you to use if you need

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Game Server Changeover
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2013, 08:40:42 PM »
I've uploaded a tar/bzip copy of the SVN repository to the web server (but not a public folder, as it does contain passwords). I haven't had time to set anything up though. If anyone else can, feel free. Last I remember, someone else was already running an SVN server on the machine, so some coordination may be required.