Author Topic: Usb Keyboard Acting Funny  (Read 2036 times)

Offline Hidiot

Usb Keyboard Acting Funny
« on: January 03, 2013, 04:12:42 AM »
So, I got me this silicon keyboard recently (an YPM004 USB Keyboard), and big surprise, it fails to work.

But how it fails to work is where it gets interesting. Plug it into any USB port on my lappy, and it powers the keyboard (shiny blue light), but windows (7, 64 bit) does not even recognize its existence.

Plug it into the little D-Link USB hub and windows pops up a Device not working error... every half a second.

Not to mention that I have had a different USB keyboard previously, but that one suddenly had keys dying, so I had to replace it. But it worked just fine from day one.

I've tried just about every solution I could find that had to do with software handling, to no avail. Removing all power for the motherboard to reset USB ports, reinstalling USB Controllers, etc.

Since nothing changes, no matter what I do, I'm fairly certain that the problem lies within the keyboard, likely a wire in the USB cable died.

The point is how oddly it behaves in the USB Hub and native lappy USB port, but if anyone has any innovative solutions or suggestions, feel free to shoot them out.
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 10:37:52 AM »
Have you tried it in another computer?  I've had similar strange USB problems in the past that were computer specific.

Also, what generation usb are your ports?  While most usb devices are backwards compatible, I have seen a few that aren't while window shopping on newegg and tigerdirect.

CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 03:52:24 AM »
That does sound like a faulty wire. But I don't really have much experience with such problems.

The only USB problem I've witnessed, is a computer that would fail to recognize new devices once some maximum current draw from the host was reached. New devices would be plugged in, and simply not seem to appear on the host.

Is your hub powered? Maybe try unplugging other devices first (before bootup) and see if the keyboard might be recognized then.

Offline Hidiot

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 06:49:09 AM »
When I say I've tried just about everything, I mean I've tried just about everything :P

I only have one other computer in the house, and it's my dad's abused lappy. Didn't work on that one either.

And yeah, the keyboard has a interior light, which turns on every time. So it's nice and powered, USB ports are not overloaded, but it just won't work.
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"