Author Topic: Outpost For Spring  (Read 30258 times)

Offline Pressure Line

Outpost For Spring
« on: September 05, 2012, 06:49:09 PM »
Hi there, I am working on an Outpost game for the Spring engine.

Currently just using some '5 minute' models, since at this point the underlying code is more important than the visuals.

Got the system for placing buildings all sorted out, now it's time for resources! And I have struck a problem, for the life of me I cannot figure out where PrecA/B comes from. The manual mentions that it is part of the 'mineral' group. Testing on Sigma Draconis IV with a level 1 mine I worked out that 3 units of OreMinA, 2 units of OreMinB and 2 units of OreMinC are produced per turn. Then that gets sent to the smelter, and is turned into (according to the manual :P) 3 units of MinA, 2 units of MinB and 2 units of MinC. The ratio of Precious Metals:Minerals extracted from the ore is left unexplained.

So unless I can come up with some better system I'm probably just going to make it so that from each turns worth of production of mineral ore (7 units)  you recieve 5 units of refined minerals (retaining the same proportions as if it was refined at 1:1) and 2 units of precious metals (1 of each)

If anyone has one of the strategy guides, and can shed some light on how the heck it is worked out it would be great! Any light that could be shed on the inner workings of morale, birthrate and deathrate would be very useful in future too :)

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Outpost For Spring
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 01:41:59 AM »
Hmm, interesting. I'm afraid I don't know anything about Outpost 1 though.

Offline Pressure Line

Outpost For Spring
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 01:55:18 AM »
I actually know very little myself. What I have managed to do so far is from doing a bit of screwing around with the game, and from what few game guides/faqs are available on the net.

I've more or less decided on PrecA/B accounting for a percentage of the total mineral ore yield, will start off at 15% each and see if that results in a playable simulation.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Outpost For Spring
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 11:22:27 AM »
Nice!  Unfortunately, I'm another one of those people who jumped into the outpost universe after the first game, so I don't have any materials on it.  I *think* sirbomber might have some of that stuff, but that's mainly based on how much he enjoys OP1
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Savant_Ace

• http://www.spitfire-sa.com/
Outpost For Spring
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 12:22:53 PM »
It is unfortunate, but it may be quite difficult to acquire said materials, as there aren't a lot of people around here still playing OP1. I myself enjoy it greatly (Just played a full game through myself this afternoon), but I have no idea what calculations are used. I'll look around for it though.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Outpost For Spring
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 11:16:48 PM »
With enough sample data, the formula could be figgured out...but it might just be easier to try out a few of your own and find one that is a good balance.
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Pressure Line

Outpost For Spring
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2012, 06:12:56 PM »
Will have to wait until I build a new pc before I can do more development on this. Total motherboard meltdown :(

Offline Savant_Ace

• http://www.spitfire-sa.com/
Outpost For Spring
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 09:17:50 AM »
Seriously lame. Sorry to hear it.

Offline HegemonKhan

Outpost For Spring
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 12:37:04 AM »
I haven't been able to test if this is how it works in the game, but from the manual and perceived game experience of my own:

1. raw precious minerals to processed precious minerals is 1:1, ie for every 1 raw precious mineral you get 1 processed precious mineral.

2. you either get only 1 Precious Mineral A and 1 Precious Mineral B per mine or its per each level of mine. Personally, it does seem to be per mine only.