Author Topic: Running Programs Ove A Network  (Read 2385 times)

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Running Programs Ove A Network
« on: April 23, 2012, 04:56:30 PM »
I know it is possible, but there are a couple other bits to it I'm not sure on:

Which computer's CPU will take the load?  I don't know if the computer that has the program needs to run it then send the data, or if the accessing computer can run it directly.

If it auto-saves, does the save file stay on the host computer, or the accessing computer?

Basicly, I have a program installed on one computer that *should* be able to run it fine but is having trouble.  Installing it on the other computer isn't an option because it was a freebe from giveaway of the day and the program is no longr offered :/
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 06:07:16 PM »
I guess, I can't help you.

On Linux, if you use ssh with X11 forwarding, the program is executed solely on the host computer, while only input events and graphics are sent over the network. All files that are accessed are accessed from the host computer.

But, I guess, you are using Windows.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 06:08:34 PM by TH300 »

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 02:02:44 AM »
If you run an executable stored on a mapped network drive, it runs on the CPU of the computer that mapped the network drive (which presumably you're sitting at), not on the computer hosting the files. In this case, the executable file itself it transferred over the network, and any data files it needs to access.

If you use something like remote desktop, it runs on the computer hosting the the desktop (and the files), not on the computer you're sitting at. The executable and associated data files don't need to be transferred, but all graphics and commands need to be sent over the network.

Auto-save will likely save on the computer running the EXE. Mind you, the default location might then potentially be on a mapped network drive, thus sending it back over the network. This would be program specific though. If it's storing temp files alongside your user settings, then things will end up on the computer whose CPU is in use.

Other strange setups may have custom behavior.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 11:34:38 AM »
Thanks for the input guys.  I found out last night that, despite getting it free, I was able to update.  For some reason, updating it cleared out all the system lag when running it.  I'm guessing that they cleaned up the code controlling how the CPU handled the commands?
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names