Author Topic: Multiplayer Maps  (Read 5295 times)

Offline newjack

Multiplayer Maps
« on: April 16, 2012, 04:11:40 PM »
Hello folks!

I was wondering, what do the letters mean beside the maps in the selection menu?

Ex: 4P, SR, 'The Rift'
       ?    ?
The 4P I am guessing is the player limit and the SR is space race. On some of them however there is a SRV and a SURV. I do not know what these mean.

Also, When my friend and I try to play, how do we play a map with AI players? On the one map labeled 4P, SRV, 'Forsaken World', We both startout close to each other with and AI base on the map which is great, but 1 min into the game and the AI lab blows and blight consumes the map. We have also tried getting AI players with Last One Standing with no luck. Any info would be awesome!!
Thanks! (thumbsup)  

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
Multiplayer Maps
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 05:17:22 PM »
SRV or SURV is Survivor which is about surviving the blight by launching a starship. Some Survivor missions have special rules or peculiarities which you may want to be aware of, because it can be hard/impossible to beat them without that knowledge. If you have any trouble, I suggest, you do a search on the forum for the mission that you want to play.

Any missions that have an ai have an ai, because the ai is part of the mission. Ais are programmed specifically for the missions which they are part of. Its currently not possible to add ais to arbitrary missions. It is possible for missions made by opu members, but it involves a lot of programming.

Moved topic to the Multiplayer forum, since its obviously related to multiplayer.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 05:20:53 PM by TH300 »

Offline newjack

Multiplayer Maps
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 12:14:52 AM »
Thank you for the reply TH300, your info was very helpful! Sorry, I should have posted this in the multiplayer forum first hand.

Offline Belix

Multiplayer Maps
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 12:38:24 AM »
This may be a little too late, but newjack might appreciate a few pointers to three multiplayer missions with AI players present, since that information is a little obscure (and entirely obscure if you rely solely on the info in the Outpost 2 multiplayer level selection screen):

Two Last One Standing maps included with the OPU Outpost 2 package have AI players, check: La Corrida and Peacekeeper. Both are Eden AI players and defensive in nature - they will not initiate attacks against you, and you're still an enemy with the other player, but you can work together to defeat the computer bases and agree to call it a victory when the computers are eliminated, if you like. Not much replay value with a purely defensive AI, but the option is there at least for a little taste.

If you want some real fun with an AI player though, the best one included with the download from this site is found in the Space Race section, check Caught in the Crossfire. Fun level where you start the game packing up to escape the blight which will wipe out your base in a few days. It features an Eden AI that produces increasingly heavier armies to attack you and your allies while you try to build a spaceship and escape. If you're really good you might even manage to take out the AI together, but it is pretty well defended. Countering the attacks while building a spaceship and trying to keep the blight at bay with walls is quite entertaining.

I don't know of any other included levels with AI players to do battle with. It is unfortunate that the Outpost 2 developers didn't put a bit more work into the multiplayer aspect. So much wasted potential, argh! But considering Op1 didn't have multiplayer, I suppose we're lucky Op2 does at all.

Hope you have fun with those.

Offline TH300

Multiplayer Maps
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 11:10:56 AM »
I'm surprised that you didn't mention Dangerzone. It has probably the most complex Outpost 2 AI. Read more about it here.

Offline Belix

Multiplayer Maps
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 02:10:44 PM »
I didn't know that existed. Thanks! I was hoping someone would chirp in and mention any good levels that might be laying around here that aren't included with the last Op2 package. I will download that.

The only other level I found with working AI hidden on the forums is Caught in the Crossfire II, but it looked like an early version, so I wasn't going to mention it just yet. I sent Arklon a PM asking if he had a newer version somewhere and was waiting to hear back before I linked newjack to it, perhaps unwittingly pointing him to an old version.

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
Multiplayer Maps
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 12:29:25 PM »
I'm surprised that you didn't mention Dangerzone. It has probably the most complex Outpost 2 AI. Read more about it here.
Not by a long shot. That would be Renegades.

Offline TH300

Multiplayer Maps
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2012, 02:26:32 PM »
Yea, renegades is probably more advanced than dangerzone. Unfortunately renegades has a bug that prevents me from getting past mission 3 :-(, so I never got the chance to judge it completely.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 02:27:18 PM by TH300 »

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Multiplayer Maps
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 09:38:57 PM »
Is that the bug where an objective can't be completed because the game fails to ally you with the Eden AI?
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Venera

Multiplayer Maps
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2012, 09:42:30 PM »
I think that was mission 4.  Can't remember to well.

Offline Lugia3

Multiplayer Maps
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2012, 12:26:49 PM »
On mission 3 there is a bug that causes the game to freeze when the refugee transport arrives.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 12:27:15 PM by Lugia3 »

Offline Sirbomber

Multiplayer Maps
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 12:34:53 PM »
Not by a long shot. That would be Renegades.
You're both wrong; SwarmZ has the best AI of all time.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Multiplayer Maps
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2012, 01:09:09 PM »
I'm gunna let ya finish, but *insert map here* had the best AI of all time.  OF ALL TIME!
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names