Poll

Would you like Railguns to fire through a wall?

Yes, 75% dam to wall, 25% dam to unit
0 (0%)
Yes, 50% dam to wall, 50% dam to unit
1 (25%)
Yes, 75% dam to wall, 25% to unit, but reduce range by 1
0 (0%)
Yes, 50% dam to wall, 50% to unit, but reduce range by 1
0 (0%)
Yes, but unlikely to be able to program it.
0 (0%)
No, leave it alone.
3 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Author Topic: Patch: Railgun Penetration  (Read 1670 times)

Offline lordpalandus

• Banned
Patch: Railgun Penetration
« on: March 27, 2012, 11:36:44 PM »
K, railguns fire rounds at several thousand meters / second. So as its travelling so fast you'd think it'd be able to penetrate thick objects like a wall. But like penetration from other games (ie call of duty) it'll not do full damage. And since its flying so fast through the air, do some damage to the wall as well. Optional would be to reduce its effective range by 1 square (in addition to the square occupied by the wall).

Thoughts comments?
Currently working on Cataclysm of Chaos, Remade.
Link to OPU page = http://forum.outpost2.net/index.php/topic,6073.0.html

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 07:23:39 AM »
then by that logic the laser and maser of the game would have damn near unlimited range the rail gun would beable to hit targets from a long distance and acid cloud could be stopped with a special paint. esg mines would blow the wheels/tracks off. lets keep it real but not real. if i could blast through your wall a thick peice of rock and iron bars presumably your CC is going to have a rather large hole in it soon and all your people will be drinking vacuum.

Offline lordpalandus

• Banned
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 01:06:22 PM »
I suppose. Its just that Railguns are at a severe disadvantage against RPGs when there is a wall seperating them. It makes it pointless to have railguns gps (only way it'd work if someone breached the wall or they were near an openning) on the outer walls as they can shoot over the wall.

I didn't suggest that the railgun gets infinite range (which btw, when it hits an object it loses a lot of its velocity), I simply suggested that it go through a wall.

Also, name a laser with infinite range that isn't a few nanometers across. A weaponized laser I highly doubt would have infinite range... the power supply to do so would be horrendous. That is why it has a limited range.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 01:07:04 PM by lordpalandus »
Currently working on Cataclysm of Chaos, Remade.
Link to OPU page = http://forum.outpost2.net/index.php/topic,6073.0.html

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 06:23:49 PM »
In theory, a laser will have infinite range.  In practice, this is only true in a complete vacuum.  As the laser encounters particles, some of the light particles deflect and the overall power is decreased.
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names