Author Topic: Any Ideas On What To Try Next?  (Read 8103 times)

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Any Ideas On What To Try Next?
« on: February 21, 2012, 12:38:26 PM »
Hey guys, I've been trying everything I can find to fix this, so I'm hoping someone might know of something else to try.

For a while now, my laptop's optical drive hasn't worked, but since I didn't need it for anything I just ignored it.  Now that I have the option to upgrade to 64 bit Windows 7--thanks to a multi-computer product key--I'm forced to look nore into this.  Here's how things almost always go:

I power up my computer, and while the bios is starting up, the drive works normally.  It opens and closes, spins up, etc.  If I do a system restore or a startup repair, it continues to work just fine.  However, the second Vista starts loading up it stops functioning entirely.  It does not show up in the Computer menu or in Device Manager, even if I tell it to show everything.

I searched for the issue, and all I'm finidng is cases of complete lack of response (which is very common for all HP Pavilions from dv6000 to dv9500).  I tried the upper and lower filters solution, but those entries were never in the registry to begin with.  I've tried the FixIt download, but it just thinks the drive isn't connected.  I've tried romoving the drive and cleaning the contacts, but that doesn't help either.

While it starts up on power up, I'm not sure that the bios detects it, as if I go to the boot menu to try to boot from the optical drive, it isn't listed there.  The bios menu itself doesn't give me much control over anything, but all it lists on the optical drive is ATAPI DVD RW drive, which is correct.  To be more precise, it is a PIONEER DR-KD08HB.  I tried looking for a driver update on their site, but this model number is not listed.

I was tempted to delete the registry entry for the drive and it's driver to see if it would force the system to re-detect the drive, but that's a very risky option and probably not a good idea.
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Spikerocks101

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 12:40:58 PM »
Thou I do not know whats wrong with it, can always use another CD drive over the network, or get an external one.
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline CK9

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 12:52:16 PM »
I tried using an external one...should have mentioned this because it has me confused as all hell.

I connected an external optical drive, and it showed up perfectly.  I inserted a disk, and once it spins up, the drive dissapears from the computer menu and I get a taskbar message saying that a usb mass storage device is installed and ready to use.  If I remove the disk, the drive appears again.

Because I'm going from 32 bit vista to 64 bit 7, I have to boot from the disk.
CK9 in outpost
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...

Offline Hidiot

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 02:19:01 PM »
My take on it is that Vista hates you and you should try to boot from your optical drive outside of it. Now, that would imply a boot menu, or, since you say that doesn't work, boot priority manipulation: putting your optical drive at the top of the boot order (via BIOS).

If that fails, wait for a better answer.
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline Lugia3

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 03:35:43 PM »
I don't know if this will work with a windows disk, but its worth a try.

Go to another machine on the same network, and share its CD-rom. Connect to it from yours and attempt to run the disk via ethernet.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 04:32:36 PM »
Hidiot, I tried that with the ATAPI one, but hadn't thought of it with the external.  I had tried copying the disk to a flash drive and seeing if it would work like that, but that didn't work, lol

The only problem with that suggestion Lugia is, because I'm going from 32 bit to 64 bit, I HAVE to boot from the disk.  If I share a drive over the network, it won't see the drive until vista is running.

I tried to delete the registry entries for the drive, but the computer won't let me.  I can't even change the permissions on it despite being the administrator O.o
CK9 in outpost

Offline Hidiot

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 04:43:32 PM »
I didn't mention it, but I do suspect some malicious software in there. That, or your machine is broken in ways that are new to me.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 04:49:28 PM »
Previously, I had sent in my laptop for repair because of a faulty motherboard.  I had assumed it was still a dv6000 mainboard at the time, and then checking with a phoenix bios scan (through their site) told me I had the mainboard of a dv6700.  However, hp's site detects it as a dv6915nr motherboard O.o

Is it possible that the difference in the build of these boards could have an impact on the drivers, considering the harddrive was more than likely not updated for the change?
CK9 in outpost

Offline Spikerocks101

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 10:12:18 PM »
CK9, I have a really useful program for you to use for network installs. I did a complete format from a computer with a broken copy of windows on it, and it was quite easy to do (time consuming thou). Might be for you. Or you can do what I did and take your old 30gb video iPod, format the iPod and copy the windows disk onto it, and use it to install windows XD
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline CK9

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 02:20:33 AM »
Managed to get a flash drive set up to work the same as booting from the DVD (rather interesting experience).  I was hoping this would force the system to go, "Oh hey!  There's a drive there!  Let's see what it needs!" but it didn't...oh well...not like I'll need to use an optical drive before I can get a new laptop...preferably one that doesn't have a reputation for problems -.-

On a side note, the drive is no longer properly listed in the registry...odd
CK9 in outpost

Offline Lugia3

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 10:32:59 AM »
If you end up buying a new computer, I suggest building a desktop.

The system I'm running only costs $700 to build, as of last December.
i5 2.6 GHz quad core CPU
4 2gb ram cards (stupid windows wont use them all)
600W PS
Radeon HD 6850 "Excalibur" Gcard
ASRock: Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 motherboard

That motherboard comes equiped with Xfast USB 2-3, CMOS Xfast LAN, CPU turbo (not overclocking), and a windows status monitor that lets you adjust optimal CPU temperatures + fan control + overclocking and more.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 12:44:16 PM »
I built a desktop, it has an intel dual core on an AMD motherboard...not the best combination, lol.  If I build a new desktop, I'll follow this guide:
http://www.build-gaming-computers.com/gami...p-computer.html

I still will need a decent laptop, as I'm out of the house a lot
CK9 in outpost

Offline Lugia3

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2012, 02:14:30 PM »
I built a desktop, it has an intel dual core on an AMD motherboard...not the best combination, lol.  If I build a new desktop, I'll follow this guide:
http://www.build-gaming-computers.com/gami...p-computer.html

I still will need a decent laptop, as I'm out of the house a lot
The first picture of a computer in that link has the same skeleton/chassis as mine. Now to your problem... you could try reformating your drive, wiping everything and installing windows though BIOS setup.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2012, 05:48:00 PM »
Someone who used to work for GeekSquad was telling me last night that there is a chance hp forgot to tattoo the mobo when they replaced it, which would actually explain a few other small issues.  Since I managed to get 7 installed via the flash drive, I'm just going to stick to non-optical data transfers until I can get a new laptop (hooray for multi-use product liscenses :D ).

Now, if I could figgure out why I can't get out of sleep mode without removing the battery, that would be helpful.  I tried looking into the hybrid sleep mode setting, but it was defaulted off already.
CK9 in outpost

Offline Hidiot

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2012, 06:35:03 PM »
I had assumed it was still a dv6000 mainboard at the time, and then checking with a phoenix bios scan (through their site) told me I had the mainboard of a dv6700.  However, hp's site detects it as a dv6915nr motherboard O.o
Win.

Can't help you on the hardware side, though... Where's Hooman and BlackBox with some insightful thoughts?

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2012, 10:02:33 PM »
I don't have the answers you seek.

Offline Spikerocks101

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2012, 10:30:14 PM »
The wise sage has spoken!
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2012, 10:34:54 AM »
set it on fire

Offline CK9

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2012, 12:21:57 PM »
^ +1

I have been tempted on quite a few occasions, lol
CK9 in outpost

Offline Kayedon

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2012, 09:28:07 PM »
I was just about to link you to this: http://majorgeeks.com/Koala_d6449.html when I saw it pop up earlier today. Oh well, guess you don't need it anymore!
"Trust me, I'm crazy."

Offline NoGood

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2012, 10:23:57 AM »
You could have also set up a Windows 2008 Server Machine in a virtualbox/vmware workstation/VirtualPC and set up Windows Deployment services. Then copied the boot image and install image from your upgrade disc to the virtual machine.  Then plugged a network cable from the server machine to the PC that doesn't have a CDRom drive.. and boot it off the network.

You will not need a full version of windows 2008... just go download the 30-day trial from MSDN.  You'll only be using the OS for 1 or 2 days max to perform the OS install.  
You can save the virtual machine image for future deployments if you want, or just delete it when done.

I do this every time I have a pc/laptop that needs a fresh install but no CD/DVD Rom drive.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2012, 12:21:45 AM »
And my laptop refused to start up yesterday -.-  My dad brought it in to his work with him because one of the IT guys there offered to take a look at it...guess my desktop is going to see more use until next week, lol
CK9 in outpost

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2012, 09:44:18 AM »
time for a new laptop.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2012, 01:13:01 PM »
Any suggestions on a good one?  I don't need a beast of a machine, but one without a history of severe problems would be nice, lol
CK9 in outpost

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2012, 11:48:11 AM »
I suggest HP to behonest i have 2 of there laptop and the only problems ive had are either a design issue due to size or dropping the laptop and killing the hdd. hehe.

a decent laptop would be about 500 600 these days. Mine cost me 1500 like 9 years ago and it out performs a desktop i bought 4 or 5 years ago.