Author Topic: I Like Op 1 Concept  (Read 5246 times)

Offline theodin1966

I Like Op 1 Concept
« on: January 15, 2012, 12:20:28 AM »
Hi! It's 2012 and really if I could have any possible computer game what I would really like is a super-realistic 3d version of Outpost 1. Mankind loaded in an enormous colony ship, traveling to a distant star, starting from scratch. I don't remember finishing OP1- I think I never got it to run well, but I still remember the buzz I got from hours and hours selecting planets and changing the payload. What I'm saying, if anyone is still interested in OP, is that there are probably a lot of people like me who really like the OP1 concept and are STILL waiting for a decent game. I'm no programmer but I think it is not hard to make something good along those lines.

Offline plymoth45

I Like Op 1 Concept
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 07:21:20 AM »
OP1 was a pretty good game, though it was buggy as all hell. I don't know about the rest of the people who know programming here a lot better than I do, but coding a 3d version of OP1 would be no joke.

I sincerely doubt anyone here has the time or is willing to put forth the effort to actually take up a project like that. But I do agree it would be pretty awesome if someone did take it upon themselves.

Offline jcj94

• http://techfusion-279.com
I Like Op 1 Concept
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 09:06:40 AM »
Adding 3D isn't an easy task.  It involves a -lot- more sprite manipulation than 2D does.  Whoever does this will also need to fix any bugs present in OP1 (like the strange Mass Dieoffs at around turn 200+ that happen on occasion)

I mean, if it wasn't for me being snot when it comes to rendering code, I'd take a crack at it.  

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
I Like Op 1 Concept
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 11:32:49 AM »
That seems to be the main issue here with any remake ideas: those who have the time don't have the skill, those who have the skill don't have the time.  If we all had the skill, it might be a fun round-about project (where one person has it for a week, then passes it on to the next person).
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline plymoth45

I Like Op 1 Concept
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 07:09:38 AM »
Unfortunantly my knowledge of C languages ends with command line programs lol. Never really moved out of the basics.

I did forget to say welcome to the forums Theodin, hope you stick around :)