Author Topic: Installing On Virtualbox?  (Read 4529 times)

Offline InsectEmu8

Installing On Virtualbox?
« on: January 14, 2012, 10:04:12 PM »
Has anybody been able to run this in Virtualbox? I'm trying to run it in a box of windows 3.1, but for some reason Virtualbox will not let me mount the iso for installation.  It gives the error "Failed to open CD/DVD image" and "Could not get the storage format of the medium (iso file location)" more specifically error code
Result Code:
VBOX_E_IPRT_ERROR (0x80BB0005)
whatever that means.

I'd really like to get this working. My dad really loved this game back in the day, and I'd like to surprise him with a working version.

Specs for the Windows 3.1box:
64MB ram,
Windows 3.1,
20MB video memory

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 03:36:52 PM »
Where did you get the iso? As far as I remember, some time ago an Outpost CD iso was available which was in a weird format (Blindwrite or something...) which would only work when burnt onto a CD.

Offline plymoth45

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 06:13:39 AM »
The last time I installed OP, I simply used Daemon tools, installed to windows and ran in compatibility mode. While it occasionally still crashed, it worked usually. But that was back on Windows XP. Not sure if it works on Windows 7 at all.

Its been a long time since I've even tried to play it though, so for all I know, I could be forgetting wether I used an emulator or not, but I don't remember having used an Emulator.

Offline InsectEmu8

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 12:49:03 PM »
I downloaded the Outpost1.rar from the Outpost universe website.  I did try running compatibility mode with it, but it didn't work.  So I'm trying virtual box, just having problems with it.

Offline Hidiot

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 07:13:23 PM »
I'm just wondering, is OP1 compatible with windows 3.1?

Can you try running it on a virtual windows 95 or 97?

I know I can run it on my Windows 7, 32 bit...
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline InsectEmu8

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 03:03:39 PM »
Yeah, I can't run it on my windows 7, because it's 64 bit so it's not compatible.

Offline Drakur

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 08:43:47 PM »
I used PowerISO from my main machine to mount the ISO to a drive, then went into the Virtualbox and set its disk drive to the virtual drive I had mounted it to.  Runs like a champ, though I am using a Windows 2k VM to do so.

Offline ultima9

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 07:33:36 PM »
Not to necro a thread that is semi-dead...

I dunno about virtualbox, but i have outpost v1.5 running flawless in DOSBox with windows 3.11.  A basic batch file mounts the .iso image of the disk, runs windows 3.11, and then launches the game.  Sound, video, everything works perfect.  (i even have the old AfterDark screensaver running with it (flying toast anyone?) - and a virtual CD-ROM with a symphonic version of the mars.midi music that will play if you want some real music)

My setup is able to run a whole bunch of classic DOS/Win3.1x games, but if you want something more specific to just Outpost i'd be happy to help ya get it running.
-u9

Offline starbuck

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2013, 03:51:54 AM »
I got Outpost 1.5 running on Window 7, 64 bit using Microsoft virtual PC.  You must have Window 7 Pro or higher to get virtual PC.  Haven't ran into any problems yet.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 03:53:06 AM by starbuck »