Author Topic: Mapper Issues  (Read 2353 times)

Offline Venera

Mapper Issues
« on: November 13, 2011, 01:52:28 PM »
I've reinstalled the mapper several times and ran the extra .exe if you're missing a file several times, but yet my mapper refuses to start.  Could someone help me with this?

EDIT:  Apparently it works if I install it somewhere other than the Program Files Folder.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 02:48:39 PM by subbed74 »

Offline Hidiot

Mapper Issues
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 05:13:55 PM »
Make sure you delete the old install.
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline Venera

Mapper Issues
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 06:59:35 PM »
I did.  Why is it that it won't work in program files but will work when it's not in program files?

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Mapper Issues
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 09:05:16 PM »
I don't suppose you could be more descriptive of the error?

Also, my first thought when something doesn't work when installed in Program Files, is perhaps it doesn't like paths with spaces in them. I'd be a little surprised if that was the case here, but it may be worth trying it in different folders with and without spaces in the name.

It might also have something to do with where it is installed relative to Outpost 2. I believe it tries to find the Outpost 2 folder to load the resources. If it can't find the folder, that may cause it to fail to load. There is usually an error message about that though.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 09:06:23 PM by Hooman »

Offline Venera

Mapper Issues
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 09:13:27 PM »
I ran it in a folder on my desktop called "OP2Mapper" and it will work.  I've ran it in a folder called "OP2 Mapper" and it will work.  I guess it doesn't like Program Files or what you said about it's relation to where OP2 is installed.

It gives this error on a failed start up while it is installed in program files:
Fatal error in main(): Loading of essential editor files failed.

Err = (-2147467259) Could not find resource.
GetLastError = 0, Erl = 0

OS Version: NT 6.0 Service Pack 2

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Mapper Issues
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 02:30:15 AM »
I believe that error message generally means it couldn't find the Outpost 2 folder. The editor tries to load information such as tilesets. It needs to know where to find these files though, which is usually from the Outpost 2 folder. I believe there was an ini file or something with the path in it.

Another thought might be write permissions. Standard users often don't have access to write to the program files folders. If the editor stores an ini file in that folder, it might not have permission to save it's settings, such as the location of Outpost 2. If that happens, then it will probably give that error message on startup. Maybe go poking around for an ini file?

If it is permissions than this is probably more likely to be an issue with newer versions of Windows. I'm guessing you're on at least Vista or so?

Offline Venera

Mapper Issues
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 06:23:12 AM »
I am using Vista.

I changed the directory in the .ini file, but it still didn't work.  After that I ran it as an administrator and it worked just fine.  So maybe it is permissions?

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Mapper Issues
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 11:58:15 PM »
It sure sounds like it.

I suppose the easy solution is then to install it somewhere your user account can write to then.

I suppose if you're really curious, you could try setting up permission for your user account to write to the mapper install folder within program files and see what happens? My guess is, it will work under your user account then.