Author Topic: Error At Game Launch  (Read 5682 times)

Offline kain

Error At Game Launch
« on: November 01, 2011, 07:22:26 PM »
im using windows 7 and virtual clonedrive when i launch the game i get this error.
"the instruction at 76f2329d referanced memory at 001e4740 memory could not be from"

not sure what this means please help  

Offline Spikerocks101

Error At Game Launch
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 09:30:41 PM »
hm. i wish i knew why that was happening. may i ask why you dont run it normally?
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline Savant_Ace

• http://www.spitfire-sa.com/
Error At Game Launch
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 11:08:53 AM »
Can you give some machine specifications? Its kind of difficult to tell what would be causing this issue without more information. It seems from here that the application is trying to execute in a section of RAM that is prohibited or protected, possibly by Windows. This could be caused by any number of things. (DEP, Admin rights, Lack of WOW16, ect.)

Useful information to include would be:

Machine specifications: Mainboard, RAM (Amount, type, and speed), GPU (Make/model), CPU (Make/Model/Instruction set(x86 or x64)), any other additional hardware that wouldn't be in an average machine (eg SCSI controller).

Software specifications: What version of Windows 7 are you using? Is it x86 or x64? What version of Virtual clonedrive? Do you have an antivirus program installed? If so, which one and what version?  

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Error At Game Launch
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 01:02:00 AM »
Useful information to include would be:

Machine specifications: Mainboard, RAM (Amount, type, and speed), GPU (Make/model), CPU (Make/Model/Instruction set(x86 or x64)), any other additional hardware that wouldn't be in an average machine (eg SCSI controller).
I fail to see how most of that is of any use. The instruction set perhaps, but the rest is typically irrelevant.

The most relevant piece of information for someone with knowledge, the code (binary), and a debugger, is the crash address, which you've already posted. I'm afraid I don't have a copy of code though, so I can't be of much assistance.

Some of the possible issues listed by Savant_Ace may be worth looking into though. Maybe try playing around with compatibility settings and see what happens? I can't be of much help though since I've never played OP1.

... Actually, come to think of it, I heard something about x64 OS's not supporting old 16-bit code (which I believe OP1 is). I suppose some kind of virtual machine or emulator would work though.

Offline Savant_Ace

• http://www.spitfire-sa.com/
Error At Game Launch
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 09:44:10 AM »
I'm sorry that my request for further information doesn't meet your approval, Hooman. But everything I asked for in that list has potential use. I've been through plenty of situations where each of the pieces of information I have asked for have played a part in the failure of a running program. Since this is such an issue that you feel the need to question my competence publicly, I shall no longer waste anyones time attempting to provide assistance here. Good day

Offline Hidiot

Error At Game Launch
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 02:19:41 PM »
Let's not let pride hurt each other, mkay?

I notice that the quoted error (the last part of it) doesn't make enough sense as an English sentence. I guess it's a near enough estimate, but still... just an observation.

Also, it would be all worth trying to figure it out, if the one with the problem actually replied.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 02:20:23 PM by Hidiot »
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline plymoth45

Error At Game Launch
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 02:46:22 PM »
Just throwing in my 2 cents,

The problem could be as simple as just configuring compatibility mode. Some programs will have conflicts on occasion if they're designed for older systems. Sorry for such an overly simple solution to try, but a lot of the previous questions/solutions seemed a little over thought.

Sorry Hooman, I've got to agree with Savant Ace that we need some specifications on the PC being used. I've also had issues with a program not working because it doesn't like my hardware, though thats rare compared to software incompatibility.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Error At Game Launch
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 04:28:31 PM »
It seems a lot rarer with older games...were there significantly fewer processor variations before?

With some games from the past 10 years, the only thing that holds me back from playing them on my laptop is the fact it uses an AMD instead of an Intel processor (seriously!  The embedded gfx card surpasses some of the system reqs despite this laptop being a POS)
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Error At Game Launch
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2011, 12:51:24 AM »
Hmm, yes, upon re-reading perhaps that didn't come out very well. Sorry about that.  :(

I did think you were on to something with your mention of "DEP, Admin rights, Lack of WOW16".

I am however of the opinion that hardware specs are rarely ever to blame. I have seen countless forum postings and mailing list help requests over the years from people requesting help concerning a software error. I can't remember the last time the problem was rooted in hardware. Granted, yes, there is the possibility it's the fault of the hardware, but this is remote, and even if it was, knowing their system specs probably won't be enough to diagnose the error. I'm honestly not even sure how you would use hardware specs to diagnose a problem. I'm vaguely aware of things like CPU's with FDIV bugs, but I wouldn't recognize the model numbers if I saw them. I guess my point should have been more about asking questions in the right order. Start with software questions, which cover the vast majority of cases, and only later on when it somehow shows it may be a hardware issue to start asking about the hardware.

I kind of feel that in the vast majority of cases, hardware specs posted by people asking about a problem are just useless fluff, and occasionally distract attention from the real problem. In other cases, when people request hardware specs from the person with the problem, without due cause to warrant investigating hardware problems, I feel this is an invasion of privacy. If someone has a software problem, I don't see why they should be required to answer a bunch of questions about the hardware they've purchased before someone will consent to helping them with their software problem. This reminds me a little of those computer stores that ask for a home address/telephone number/email address/etc. before they'll sell you a mouse. Harmless info? Maybe. Probably. But I don't see why they need to know, and I don't feel comfortable telling them. Oddly enough though, people tend to be compliant when asked about seemingly innocent information, even when they know it's quite irrelevant and don't feel very comfortable answering. To some extent my post was an attempt to highlight that there is no need to always answer all the questions being asked. You're probably safer when you don't.

But you're right, my post was unduely critical, and I shouldn't have worded it the way I did.

Offline plymoth45

Error At Game Launch
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2011, 06:49:08 AM »
Bringing an older game up as an example of not liking my hardware: Wing Commander III, one of my favorite games. DOS based, and unless someone has ported it for the newer windows system, far as I know it doesn't work anymore.

Throughout the years, just as an initial unmodified install, this game would not run for 3 reasons: It checked the CD ROM speed before launching and said 'It was reading too fast to run this game', and caused the game not to run. It very rarely liked the soundcard, though that problem I believe was more driver based as eventually I found a workaround for that and wound up playing the game without sound a few times. And finally the GPU. It would run a test render of the TCS Victory before launching, which the test render would always run correctly, but for some reason wouldn't launch the game claiming the GPU was unrecognized. Again, that was more than likely based in the software the GPU used rather than the hardware itself, but it still stands as a hardware conflict in my eyes.

With the CD Read problem, the last time I managed to play this game I wound up having to find an old 2x read speed CD ROM. As you might imagine its been years since I've played that game.

I realize OP1 is a different game, but I have had one instance on my old Desktop where it conflicted with my sound drivers once or twice. Played it without sound once or twice, and I can't remember how I got it to work 100% at this point. Haven't played anything that old since I stopped using XP 2 years ago.

Just trying to point out that, however rare compared to software issues, hardware can still be at fault on occasion. But you're right in the fact Software should be suspected first. Regaurdless we simply haven't been provided enough information about what has and has not been done to help until Kain shows up again. All we can do is speculate :(