Author Topic: Food Glorius Food!  (Read 6984 times)

Offline Zardox Xheonov

Food Glorius Food!
« on: July 31, 2011, 01:40:51 PM »
ok here are the rules;
-post your favorite food(s) you can find them from google pic and post the indivudal images here. And make sure you actually enjoy eating it cuzz idk anyone who eats crap.

-if you find more than one image (like 10+) of the same food catagory then post a link to the google search so we can look at all the pics.

-you can post more than once (like if you enjoy others foods too) and if you have more than one favorite food go ahead and post again (but no doubles please).

-Must tell us about your food, where it comes from, why you like it, any other interesting facts?

As for me i got a ton of pics which i cant fit in this page, so i'll just give you the google link.

Welp time for me to start,

DimSum

Thats right i love to eat hog's feet for breakfast! (lol jk never had it before)
But you know they do actually serve it in dimsum. Dimsum is my favorite food in the whole world, i could litterally live on the stuff and never get sick of it. Though one sad thing is that its very expensive and isent a good idea to just get it every week, nevermind everyday.
As for what dimsum is, its real authentic chineese food (not the crap you get in american-chineese resturants) No... this is way more exotic and you usually see alot of the originating ethnicgroups at the resturants eating this as tradition such as chineese newyear. And on sundays/saterdays lunch times. As for one of the few americans who actually take part in these traditions it sadden me that there are rare anyone but asians in the resturant... make me think america has no taste.

Also dimsum is quite  blunt for saying what my favorite food is, as for my favorite dish on the dimsum menu, i'd have to say the porkribs in blackbean/garlic sauce (lots of little bones) and no its not a rack of ribs (broken peices if you will) the meat is so fine, so tender, and with lots of bone, but very fine and exquisit tastes but is probably filled with cholesteral. (meat is mostly fat) sad but true and the way they cook the other foods are either steamed or deepfried. So its comfort food really, in chineese style. So dont eat it everyday or else you will get heart problems or w/e.

Welp thats my example of a welldome summary of my favorite food, dimsum, now enjoy :)
Hit me up on discord, if I am online, you know I'll be gaming.

(Lord Of Pain is no more, I am currently now "Zardox" and have been for awhile on other platforms.)

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Food Glorius Food!
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 04:10:13 AM »
Hehe "... its real authentic chineese food (not the crap you get in american-chineese resturants)". How sure are you? My first thought when I read that was the meat. From what I hear, Chinese restaurants in America typically have a lot more meat on the menu than a restaurant in China would. And to be fair, you did mention meat. But, you could be right. DimSum is popular in southern China, and often contains bits of meat. I just suspect it's not quite the same between the two places. There's also a difference between the types of meat you'll find in foods, but perhaps I won't delve too deeply into that one.  ;)

For me I'll go with JiaoZi. Preferrably with vinegar rather than soy sauce. Or, if JiaoZi are not available, than the somewhat larger and similar BaoZi will do. Although, I'm a little less fond of the thicker bread on BaoZi and often slightly drier filling. Both of which can be found in a DimSum setting, although, that's not typically the setting in which I eat them. They're fairly standalone. They're also quite affordable, and I don't imagine they have any obvious health concerns. A BaoZi based breakfast for 2 people can be about 5 yuan (~ 0.77 USD), provided you go somewhere reasonably cheap.

Offline Zardox Xheonov

Food Glorius Food!
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 10:27:46 AM »
oooh yes those do look yummie XD

Agreed that those dumplings are more than likely healthier than the colesteral-rich pork i found on a menu once (it even came with the skin and lots of blubber-like fat around the tough chewy skin).

oh and tbh i really don't know the origins of dimsum, i just suspected more authentic since it feels right.

Gotta love those chive dumplings though :)
Hit me up on discord, if I am online, you know I'll be gaming.

(Lord Of Pain is no more, I am currently now "Zardox" and have been for awhile on other platforms.)

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Food Glorius Food!
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 01:39:58 AM »
it even came with the skin and lots of blubber-like fat around the tough chewy skin
That at least sounds authentic. :P
Any hairs growing out of the skin?

As for Dim Sum, yeah, it's more of a southern Chinese thing. I would imagine it's popular around Hong Kong, as the English name "Dim Sum" appears to be derived from Cantonese, which is spoken in the south. The Mandarin pronounciation for the same characters would be "dian xin" (pronounced something like "dee-ann sin").

JiaoZi, however, are more of a northern thing. You can kind of tell from the ingredients too. The dough used to make JiaoZi is typically wheat based, which forms a much larger portion of the diet in the north. The south typically relies mostly on rice for grains. That's not to say rice isn't also important in the north. It's just not quite so exclusive there. It's probably about half and half in the north, although I suspect there is a slight favouring towards rice even in the north. There isn't nearly so much wheat usage in the south though. From what I understand, JiaoZi would be more of a special occasion food in the south, while in the north it's just... food. You might eat it for any meal of the day, on any given day of the year.

The only problem with JiaoZi, is they can be a bit of work to prepare. I like them, but I'm sort of a lazy eater, so they're usually too much work for me to prepare. :P
(My idea of food preparation is grab + eat, or at most grab + dump + heat + eat). Hence, my cooking skill is just about zero. I tried cooking JiaoZi once (ok, dumping + heating premade JiaoZi), and let's just say it didn't go so hot. I didn't account for the water absorption + expansion when you boil them. The end result was an overflowing pot, with the lid lifted about an inch in the air.  :blush:

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Food Glorius Food!
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 02:35:35 PM »
I just LOVE Chicken Pad Thai!
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Food Glorius Food!
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2011, 03:52:03 PM »
That does look pretty good.