Author Topic: Necroing 101  (Read 2959 times)

Offline Zardox Xheonov

Necroing 101
« on: April 15, 2011, 08:32:46 AM »
First off i'd like to note this topic may be used as a reference to those who don't understand what necroing is, why we have this rule, and questionings about it's existence. Also why we want it / dont(?).

Ok so, there has been an awful lot of necroing recently, even i did some necroing in my time (without understanding of course). Though this rule has been breeched time and again by a select few (NO NAMES thank you), we are at this topic today to discuss why the necroling rule exists.

What is the importance of closing a 4 month old topic even if sombody has somthing valid to say to it which could bring it to life. Don't we want activity to florish and not be deminished to a hault by this rule of necroling?

Why is necroling so bad? Is there such a thing as good necroling where the person necroling has legit comment/questions partaining to the general topic?

Is this rule too strict? Should we only apply it when it's off topic? What if it's on topic but it's still necroling, then what? Why is that bad? How is that good?

Maybe a compromise is in need so we can reply to old topics AS LONG AS ITS NOT SPAM.

Could sombody please help me and others to come answer these questions?

Thanks, and if there are any other questions please feel free to ask.
Hit me up on discord, if I am online, you know I'll be gaming.

(Lord Of Pain is no more, I am currently now "Zardox" and have been for awhile on other platforms.)

Offline Spikerocks101

Necroing 101
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 11:45:39 AM »
Necroing is annoying when you just say "lol" to a 2 year old post. If you want to give a valid point on something, make a new thread and say "In response to this old topic, here is my point on it". Necroing makes people have to reread an entire topic, about something thats probably old news.
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Necroing 101
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 10:12:37 PM »
Given a small community such as ours necroing would not be such an issue since forum conversations tend to move by a little bit slower than on other forums, that being said:

Posting pointless responses to old topics is annoying and as Spikerocks just stated forces people to read an old topic that is often multiple pages long.

Even if the reply is relevant it is usually more productive to start a new topic regarding that topic. You could provide a summary of the previous discussion, maybe a link to the original topic and add your own questions/comments or whatever.

I also think creating new topics has the tendency to stimulate new activity more than just posting into old ones (especially ones that are extremely old where it would be a necro, as most of the members have already read that topic and been part of the discussion).

In any case I think most of the people who have had the tendency to necro most often have been warned of the behavior and asked to stop, I hope you can see for the above reasons why it's preferred not to necro.

Offline Zardox Xheonov

Necroing 101
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 08:05:07 AM »
thank you so much, now i understand.

and hopefully others will too.
Hit me up on discord, if I am online, you know I'll be gaming.

(Lord Of Pain is no more, I am currently now "Zardox" and have been for awhile on other platforms.)

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Necroing 101
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 03:29:47 PM »
My stance on the nerco which i have seen a couple get shut down.  Clearly a topic that has been dormant for a long long time should stay that way. And if some one starts a new topic that is simular they will most likely be trolled and told there stupid and they should just read the old thread. Why not just talk about it again. But the mentality been there done that or same ol same ol kicks in and we just shut them down.

Offtopic posts arent good any such way.

I have a feeling we need to relax a little bit on some rules because we arent as active as we were. So a nerco here or there if it can start a converstation so be it. But in all reality what should be done is start a new topic with a reference to the old one that way its still a new thread and people know what the f*** your talking about.