Author Topic: Op2 Summer Tourny  (Read 16158 times)

Offline jcj94

• http://techfusion-279.com
Op2 Summer Tourny
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2011, 02:16:43 PM »
Still finalizing.  I will asure you, all rules will be final by mid april.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Op2 Summer Tourny
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2011, 02:43:43 PM »
Ore as a prize seems kind of pointless...we have a few items in the shop, but nothing significant.  Maybe if we had some special items to go with an addon to the ibstore it would be worth it.
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline jcj94

Op2 Summer Tourny
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2011, 04:29:38 PM »
Maybe a "glow sig" or some special name effect?

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Op2 Summer Tourny
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2011, 04:47:43 PM »
I think we'd need to reset the store system, remove the interest system completely, and add in a bunch of stuff
CK9 in outpost
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...

Offline jcj94

Op2 Summer Tourny
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2011, 05:36:31 PM »
Why remove the interest system?

Though I do agree on the store.

We need some IDEAS for things that the winner of the contest would want from the store.

Offline Kayedon

Op2 Summer Tourny
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2011, 08:49:13 PM »
I can, er ... "advertise" this tournament around and see if we can't get some new faces soonish, prep them for a summer tournament. They of course won't be nearly as good as you veteran weirdos, but for people who suck at multiplayer (like me), why not bring a new face or twenty? The website could sure use some activity.
"Trust me, I'm crazy."

Offline Spikerocks101

Op2 Summer Tourny
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2011, 08:55:46 PM »
I am completely for advertisement of OP2!
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline jcj94

Op2 Summer Tourny
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2011, 09:44:16 AM »
YES!

A million times the power of pie times infinity.

YES!

I have an FB page if you want me to link it for you guys.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Op2 Summer Tourny
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2011, 12:16:00 PM »
Just be careful about how you advertise
CK9 in outpost

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
Op2 Summer Tourny
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2011, 01:08:07 PM »
Playing in a team with only strong players is easy and doesn't gain you much respect.
Hahaha, what?  Who the heck goes into a tournament purposefully choosing bad teammates?  
People who primarily want to have fun and don't care about winning. After all, thats what computer games are for, in my eyes.

TH300, have you ever even heard of team-based competition before?  You don't win gold medals at the Olympics with a team of obese 5 year olds.
This is not olympics. And who cares about gold medals? I don't.

Also, completely disregarding the fact that what you just said is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard, it's cute that you think I care about "respect".
Thats your interpretation of what I wrote. I was merely trying to make you think about it.

Do you care about Outpost2 or is all you want the ability to brag with your skills? Do you want to do something good for other people or do you only do what is good for yourself? Answer those questions for yourself.

To the others: If you want to add your thoughts to this, someone should create another topic somewhere.

Offline jcj94

Op2 Summer Tourny
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2011, 03:43:03 PM »
BACK TO THE TOURNY AT HAND HERE PEOPLE!!!

Okay, the ranking system is as follows:

If your team wins, each of you is given a point.

YOU DO NOT KEEP THE SAME TEAM THROUGH THE TOURNY!

You are going to (once signup is complete) be randomly paired with other people.
Once we get into the finals, the top 8 will choose people based on either their points or known skill level.

The top 1/3 can continue to pick out of the top 1/3, but the rest moves up in rank (so if Capt 1 picks 2, then 3 becomes the next 2).

DON"T JUST PICK BY POINT STANDINGS!!!

You might get someone who got really good teams, but SuKcEd when they play actually.

The picking order goes as follows:

SO GO SIGN UP!!

And Admin, close the win/loss ratio (if you want to), we really don't need it for tourny anymore.

NOTE: If you have posted here, you have signed up!

Post again after this in order to say I'm still in or I'm not going to.

Offline Spikerocks101

Op2 Summer Tourny
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2011, 07:21:10 PM »
No offense JCJ, but these rules are just to complicated for me. I don't want semi finals, or anything like that. I just want a simple 1vs1 or 2vs2 tourney, and you play every other player/team once, and at the end, you just see who has the most points. To be honest, I don't think this tourney will be all to great with such a large verity of players (ranging from super good to just learning).
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline jcj94

Op2 Summer Tourny
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2011, 07:54:00 PM »
Then get better... or do it yourself.  I'm ONE person.  No one asked to help, no one asked to try and make it better.  ALL I am hearing is "I want this", "I want that", "No thats terrible", "This won't work you stupid fool","This is better","Use my idea".  If you guys decide that whatever I do for this thing is wrong THEN DON'T SIGN UP!!!

You guys REALLY are picky for whatever reason, and it's starting to annoy me.  I try to make one person happier, then everyone else freaks out.  I make a little change, people freak out.  I make some fun, quick-code map for the La Corrida map, people whine.  Can I do anything without people yelling at me anymore?

I try my damnedest to keep this place alive, and to try and keep ideas flowing, but all you people do is shoot them down if they ain't from someone you guys like.  

I'll just stop doing anything then.  I'll give my things that I finish to ECC and Subbed, and we might play them, but if all you guys want to do is sit here and whine about some things and yell at me about others, then why do I try to get this tourny setup?

I tried to set this up as a fun little thing, the people could participate in.  Instead, its become a battleground for people to yell at me about flaws in my ideas.  

ITS THE FIRST TIME I HAVE EVER ATTEMPTED ANYTHING LIKE THIS EVER!!!!!!!

There are going to be some bloody glitches people, and if you don't like them, then don't do anything the first time it is done EVER.  Have you ever wondered why there are updates to software?  Its because they either found a glitch, or they found something to make it better.  If all you people want to do is yell at me for having a couple ideas, trying to setup a tournament for you guys to enjoy gaming in, then go ahead, kick me out of the forums.  

All I wanted to do was make a couple of games here people.  You know, something fun and entertaining.  But no, everyone wants it their own little way, so you can just kiss this damn tourny goodbye if you people don't start volunteering to help me do some of this.

Offline Sirbomber

Op2 Summer Tourny
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2011, 08:44:27 PM »
(throwing a tantrum)
Man up or shut up.  You never asked for help; don't whine when nobody offers.  You asked for suggestions; don't throw a hissy-fit when you don't like the suggestions.  People complain about your ideas because they're boring, unoriginal, and confusing.  Here's how you described your most recent idea:
What I am attempting to do here is create a "brute force just attack cause your lazy and want to say I BEET YOU!" game.
So basically, you're making a map for people who are too lazy/stupid to learn how to play the game normally.  And you expect people to congratulate you for it?  You know what my first map was?  A Space Race on La Corr with Blight added.  Ooooh, real original!  I was happy with what I had done, and that was all that mattered.  Nobody else cared, and why would they?  The map sucked.  But you know what?  A bunch of us got together, took it, and turned it into Survivor, a somewhat popular gametype.  So yeah, you're gonna have a lot of failures when you start.  That's life kid, better get used to it now.  But you keep at it, and don't get upset when people give you feedback, and maybe listen to their suggestions once in awhile, and you might actually get somewhere.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Spikerocks101

Op2 Summer Tourny
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2011, 08:51:22 PM »
Wow... bomber... that was a really good read! I felt like I was reading the script to some college sports movie.

Any ways, back on track, what is the general rules people want?
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline jcj94

Op2 Summer Tourny
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2011, 08:53:19 PM »
(throwing a tantrum)
Man up or shut up.  You never asked for help; don't whine when nobody offers.  You asked for suggestions; don't throw a hissy-fit when you don't like the suggestions.  People complain about your ideas because they're boring, unoriginal, and confusing.  Here's how you described your most recent idea:
What I am attempting to do here is create a "brute force just attack cause your lazy and want to say I BEET YOU!" game.
So basically, you're making a map for people who are too lazy/stupid to learn how to play the game normally.  And you expect people to congratulate you for it?  You know what my first map was?  A Space Race on La Corr with Blight added.  Ooooh, real original!  I was happy with what I had done, and that was all that mattered.  Nobody else cared, and why would they?  The map sucked.  But you know what?  A bunch of us got together, took it, and turned it into Survivor, a somewhat popular gametype.  So yeah, you're gonna have a lot of failures when you start.  That's life kid, better get used to it now.  But you keep at it, and don't get upset when people give you feedback, and maybe listen to their suggestions once in awhile, and you might actually get somewhere.
That is honestly inspiring Sir Bomber... honestly.

I am basing the rules off of things I know WORK.. if you guys have things that you know go to games/tournys for teams THAT WORK submit them.. Now.. before I douse your houses in orange juice.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 08:54:16 PM by jcj94 »

Offline evecolonycamander

Op2 Summer Tourny
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2011, 09:10:05 PM »
So basically, you're making a map for people who are too lazy/stupid to learn how to play the game normally.  And you expect people to congratulate you for it?
....QUOTE SHORTENED....
But you keep at it, and don't get upset when people give you feedback, and maybe listen to their suggestions once in awhile, and you might actually get somewhere.
I love how you can be so insulting yet so.... whats the word.... inspiring and helpful....

anyways, not that it means much, but i'll help where i can. i can do [very] minor code improvements, give you ideas on how to do this/that and improve map building.... again, not much, but if it'll make you happy and give me a chance to do more then sit on my ass and plan..... well, you get the picture.
''The blight cant get us up here!''
-famous last words
--------------o0o--------------
Outpost 2: EoM project status: Re-planning

Offline jcj94

Op2 Summer Tourny
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2011, 09:12:29 PM »
well I need someone to take scores while I'm in a game... lets just hope we don't end up facing eachother

Offline Sirbomber

Op2 Summer Tourny
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2011, 09:12:43 PM »
We're informal in our gaming here, people just do what they want.  Set some rules, but if people want to enter as a team, who are you to stop them?  I've never heard of tournaments restricting who can/can't be on your team (granted, I don't know much about this kind of stuff).  Yeah, Highlander, Hidiot, and I are much better than most of you.  We're probably going to steamroll through the competition.  Unless, of course, you train and get better before this thing actually starts.  I recommend you check out this video here.  This isn't a chance for 3 great players to wreck a bunch of beginners, this the underdog's chance for a surprise win.

Edit: The video is just "Eye of the Tiger" for those who can't view it.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 09:23:16 PM by Sirbomber »
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline jcj94

Op2 Summer Tourny
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2011, 09:16:41 PM »
That, or a bunch of underdogs kicking eachothers arses while you guys steamroll the remaining carcuses.

Now that I've painted a pretty picture in your head..

Who's gonna volunteer to tear gas Hidiot and use laughing gas on Hooman?

Offline Spikerocks101

Op2 Summer Tourny
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2011, 09:19:34 PM »
A: The video doesn't work for Canada
B: I hope I get a decent team O.o

Edit: Hooman doesnt play OP2 Multi.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 09:20:58 PM by Spikerocks101 »
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline jcj94

Op2 Summer Tourny
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2011, 10:03:03 PM »
So? Laughin gas makes ANYTHING funny.

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
Op2 Summer Tourny
« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2011, 04:33:52 AM »
I think teams will be out of the question really.
Gonna be hard to get 6 people to show up at the same time..

Could do some sort of ladder based tournament where players get a point for each match they win, no matter whether it is 1 vs 1 or team vs team. This way weaker players could rise in the rankings by playing more matches. (ofc, there is downsides to this solution)
I sort of liked Lev's old idea with "World Domination" - maybe this is something you could build from ?
One would also need some sort of system to keep track of information.. Perhaps a forum section devoted to this could be made ?

It would probably be a good idea to have some sort of ranking system for players. (like 1-10) Where a certain ranking difference between players would result in the better player starting with less resources.
There will of course be downsides to this as well, such as updating rankings if players evolve and some people are bound to downgrade themselves instead of being honest.

Can I suggest we get the rules down before we start discussing teams/rankings/etc.
I'll think things through for a few hours and see what I can come up with.

(Note: wrote this before I realized topic had grown to 2 pages. Posting anyways and sorry if some points was already covered.)
There can be Only one. Wipe Them out. All of Them.

Old player still playing. Visit Spark for a game of Outpost 2

Offline Spikerocks101

Op2 Summer Tourny
« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2011, 11:04:59 AM »
I was thinking the same thing about having to many people in 1 game, and how it could be effected by the fact we live every where on the planet. Also, I know alot of people prefer teams, because 1 vs 1 is just to competitive, and would be very hard for a "new person" to beat an "experienced person", even if we do things like low resources. But, then again, we do have enough people down for it, that I'm sure every one will be willing to enter (even if it's not there favorite form of OP2, its OP2 non the less).

Still, I, personally, would like 2v2 or 3v3, but 1v1 is good also :P
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline evecolonycamander

Op2 Summer Tourny
« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2011, 12:36:57 PM »
Ok, i see a problem in this.... we need some maps that allow for three players BUT player three can only watch. this allows for judges, teaching n0obs some ways to play, and makes things interesting when player three ridicules your massive failed assault.
it could be a new mode called '(w)watch' or '(tor)tournament'

the idea is out there only cause we could technically play the monopoly map and just say we did a los map and no one would be the wiser. If we are to have rules we need to be able to enforce them
''The blight cant get us up here!''
-famous last words
--------------o0o--------------
Outpost 2: EoM project status: Re-planning