Author Topic: Do We Need A New Irc Channel?  (Read 23601 times)

Offline evecolonycamander

Do We Need A New Irc Channel?
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2011, 02:08:59 AM »
we've nagged the development team too much as is. bug them at your own risk. i say we give up on op2 source and move to actually TRY to make an op3 on our own. who knows, mabie we'll get lucky and actually complete something like that. or, we'll sit here and wine over our dieing community some more :/

I, as I get better and hope to learn more from the community and tutorials, would LOVE to help.... Does the current company who owns op2 have a copyright on the names (i.e. ConVec, RoboDozer, RoboMiner, Savant...)  if not.. or hell, even if they do, they can't complain, it's abandonware....

How difficult is it to write and .exe from scratch? some tell me its simple, some tell me it can be difficult...  And they all vary in range of experience.

I'm curious and thinking about going into software engineering as a college degree field.  Rose Holman, a college in Indiana is where I hope to end up going, and I feel this would let me... get used to working the way I'd be there.

I'll try to help all that I can in the summertime, seeing as I'm a freshman and have my exams coming up.. stupid Great Depression project..

So it's schoolwork or OP2...

I myself pick OP3 but my parents have final word in the matter.
on the copyright issue i happen to know that we can use the names as long as we make not monitary profit. i do admit though that i have yet to read the actual copyright(s) attached to this game :/ . but most copyrights are pretty much the same, soooo...

writing an EXE is pretty simple... once you know how to that is. most(probably all) up-to-date compilers sport an option to compile  the data into an executable file.

ah collage, the bane of many opu members. i say pursue it if you can, but realize you will have almost no free time wile there. studying is something you almost are forced into... unless you got a photographic memory :P

your parents are telling you whats right... unfortunately :P
''The blight cant get us up here!''
-famous last words
--------------o0o--------------
Outpost 2: EoM project status: Re-planning

Offline Zardox Xheonov

« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2011, 07:49:06 AM »
indeed your parents are correct to urge you to study for college. Not only that, but your future could be at stake here... depnding on your descision.

Good luck in the great depression and try to cheer up if it constantly looks depressing :P
Hit me up on discord, if I am online, you know I'll be gaming.

(Lord Of Pain is no more, I am currently now "Zardox" and have been for awhile on other platforms.)

Offline jcj94

• http://techfusion-279.com
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2011, 01:23:29 PM »
College? who said anything about college?
I'm a highschool freshman, I have 3 more years.. and Summer time is my freetime.. that and winterbreak.. and first/second week.. :heh:

And Dude.. its either building the computers and being bord.. OR DESIGNING THE SOFTWARE!! :lol:  (thumbsup)  :lol:

What do yall think I'm gonna choose?  I already know enough java to program a Robot, and I know enough action script to make a simple puzzle.... :ph34r:

And If op2 would read my .dll I could prove that I know enough C++ to program for op2.. but it hates me  <_<    
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 01:28:03 PM by jcj94 »

Offline evecolonycamander

« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2011, 02:29:18 PM »
send your source to one of the members that can compile it for you.
''The blight cant get us up here!''
-famous last words
--------------o0o--------------
Outpost 2: EoM project status: Re-planning

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2011, 07:32:57 PM »
I'm closing this topic since it has been hijacked and gone completely off topic and I think the topic has been discussed already.

If you want to discuss things that are unrelated to a topic then please use the appropriate forums to do so.

In addition, I know this is something that has been discussed many, many, many times on the forum (please use the 'search' function before posting)... there is no legal concept of "abandonware." The name "Outpost" is a registered trademark so we are not free to use that name without permission. Activision retains all copyrights (copyrights are effective for the life of the author plus either 75 or 125 years in the US, I can't remember which it is now).