Author Topic: People In Op2 Credits  (Read 6716 times)

Offline Zardox Xheonov

People In Op2 Credits
« on: March 08, 2011, 12:39:53 PM »
ok so, im going to have a list fo questions and the aswers, well, you guys can aswer them to the best of your ability, they will be related to the people in the op2 credits (official producers of the game) and our community in general. if anyone wants to add on or make new questions (related plz!) that is encouraged.

Do the people who created the game still have a general say in copy rights ect of op2 and op1 ?

Im curious if the old authors of the game (or any other producers/testers/ect) have came across the opu.

If so then what was their impression of us? How did they comment? Did they ever become a member of the opu community? Who in the opu community (if anyone) worked on the creation of op2/op1 or worked for sierra company?

If they have not become a members of our community, why havent they droped by?

What company/organization created/hosted WON/SIGS/(other)
If there was talk about how won/sigs went down (the exact reasons) on forums please post the link. (Thats goes for anything else that has already been aswered)

What do we know of the original producers? hobbies? current jobs? are they retired?

Where was sierra located (their facilities)

Are we still in contact with some of the original producers/mechanics/programmers/testers/authors for outpost2?
(yes or no if they don't want to be found) otherwise due explain :)

Have they ever contributed to our community in any way possible? (even if answering questions of writing a review on us) If so then what did they do to contribute?

Is there a way to donate money to the opu? where does this money go? what is the purpose fulfiled with this money?

Is there a way to decrease warnign level by example: being active and possitive toward others (in a kind motivating way) or just contributing alot to the community? If not perhaps warning could degrade with time and great effort from the person with the warning? (people can mature)

Oh and can sombody plz PM me why ECC is banned? thanks.
Hit me up on discord, if I am online, you know I'll be gaming.

(Lord Of Pain is no more, I am currently now "Zardox" and have been for awhile on other platforms.)

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
People In Op2 Credits
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 02:08:38 PM »
Do the people who created the game still have a general say in copy rights ect of op2 and op1 ?
The copyright is owned by the company that owns Sierra (don't remember which that is).

Im curious if the old authors of the game (or any other producers/testers/ect) have came across the opu.
if they have, they know how to hide. (well, Dan knows about opu after too many people asked him for the source code)

Have they ever contributed to our community in any way possible? (even if answering questions of writing a review on us) If so then what did they do to contribute?
nothing

Is there a way to decrease warnign level by example: being active and possitive toward others (in a kind motivating way) or just contributing alot to the community? If not perhaps warning could degrade with time and great effort from the person with the warning? (people can mature)
I am all for it, but I don't make decisions here.

Oh and can sombody plz PM me why ECC is banned? thanks.
No PM needed - ECC is not banned. He just doesn't come here, because he's afraid that he will get banned if he does.

Offline Venera

People In Op2 Credits
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 02:51:38 PM »
Yeah. About ECC, he told me not to even mention his name on here.  Oh well, I guess since he's not banned it doesn't matter :P

Offline Hidiot

People In Op2 Credits
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 02:55:46 PM »
Then why is ecc in Group:Banned on the forums?

Also, it was Vivendi that took Sierra.
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
People In Op2 Credits
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 04:16:24 PM »
and Vivendi's game section is controlled by Activision now :P

Warning levels can be decreased by the moderating staff.  We have a general agreement that only the person who gave the warning can remove it (with some reasonable exceptions)
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
People In Op2 Credits
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 07:48:45 PM »
Then why is ecc in Group:Banned on the forums?
I just said what he told me. (I think, he was referring to irc)

(I want to add that this is stupid, because arranging games with him is nearly impossible if he doesn't come on irc)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 07:51:50 PM by TH300 »

Offline Zardox Xheonov

People In Op2 Credits
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 10:21:57 AM »
i think i know why he's afraid.... indirect cyber bullying... i have guesses who but i can't confirm.

As for our community.. i think we should be more open hearted toward the more sensitive members (like ECC) and use soft words t onot startle him too much....

I'v gotten some really nasty PM's from people in here (with no intent of harm of coarse!) but it seems they can't help but use fear to swuade others t ofollow rules... as for ECC i don't know if anyone PMed him a warning or not... and its not my business anyways.

But those of you who actually do send the 'you will be banned if' letters please look over your letters youv sent a few times and see if it could perhaps be considered emotional or even threatining (of anyway possible cyberbullying).

Or better yet lets have a moderator look into all the pms ECC has... if thats legal. I as one have a way to contact him... i will do so when i get home tonight if i dont forget.

(Lord Of Pain is no more, I am currently now "Zardox" and have been for awhile on other platforms.)

Offline Spikerocks101

People In Op2 Credits
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 12:13:13 PM »
Or it could be that he acted like and idiot and got banned like an idiot >_>
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline Hidiot

People In Op2 Credits
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 01:07:17 PM »
(OT)

But w/e.

One of the good things about maturity is that it lets you extract useful information from even the harshest of critics. Even if that involves a little time away to reflect.
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
People In Op2 Credits
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 05:49:36 PM »
The story author, Steven York, has dropped by before and actually emailed one of us. If you do some searching you can probably find something. He was amazed that people are still interested in the game after how long it's been since its release.

I have had some limited correspondence with Mike Jahnke (the art director), mostly all involving some questions about some of the artwork and tools used to create it. Maybe I'll search for those emails sometime and post them up here.

I have also talked with Dan Duncalf (the programming lead) but this was an extremely long time ago and I don't have any of the emails or recall any bits of the conversation anymore.

Honestly though any correspondence has been very limited, since it was such a long time after they stopped working for Dynamix so they couldn't remember all that much about it (or even were at liberty to talk about; I know personally as a software engineer IRL that I had to sign an NDA in order to work for the company I currently work for which prohibits me from disclosing anything to anyone outside the company that could be construed as a trade secret and I'm sure the same applied here as well). Many of them moved on to work for other companies later on. I am personally not in contact with any of them but if I really had a reason to, it probably wouldn't be impossible to get ahold of someone.

Dynamix was located in Eugene, OR. (Dynamix was the actual developer of the game; Sierra was just responsible for publishing).

I believe Sierra or one of the companies associated with it at the time (Cendant or Havas) ran SIGS/WON. It was shut down due to lack of use (there is no business sense in running a bunch of servers if not enough people are going to use them to make it worthwhile from a business perspective).

If you want to donate money to OPU, you can PM Galactic or myself. It would go towards paying for our hosting (servers and bandwidth).

Regarding bans, we don't discuss bans openly. He is not banned anymore (at least isn't supposed to be), he was temporarily banned (I know the reasons behind said ban and it was for a serious reason which involved another member in the community, but I am not willing to discuss it). He is not banned anymore, apparently the ban script did not remove him from the banned group (which shouldn't even affect his ability to use the forum, it would just show "banned" everywhere next to his name). I fixed this manually.

But those of you who actually do send the 'you will be banned if' letters please look over your letters youv sent a few times and see if it could perhaps be considered emotional or even threatining (of anyway possible cyberbullying).

If these are messages that didn't come from a mod or admin then it should probably be disregarded (potentially was meant as a friendly warning to the member, before a mod or admin actually got involved).

If they are from a mod or admin I don't see how it constitutes bullying, there are rules that are clearly posted in various different places and if someone notices these aren't being followed then a PM or warning might be sent or issued.

Or better yet lets have a moderator look into all the pms ECC has... if thats legal. I as one have a way to contact him... i will do so when i get home tonight if i dont forget.

We can look at PMs if we absolutely needed to (it's on our server and this is also mentioned in the agreement when you register) but the only time anyone has ever had to look at someone's PMs is when there been some complaint of harassment from another user or something similar which would violate the rules (in some circumstances potentially even present a legal liability to those of us who run the site and pay for the servers).

In any case, this discussion about bans is completely offtopic and this is the last I have to say on that issue.

Offline Zardox Xheonov

People In Op2 Credits
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 07:56:32 AM »
thank you, BB, you and th300 helped answer alot about the mysteries of op2 past...

And if you do post email... please try in this thread just for organization sake XD

Offline evecolonycamander

People In Op2 Credits
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 07:58:36 PM »
One last thing about the ban BB. I WAS supposed to have been un-banned as of oct 22nd. but for some reason on oct 15-17th my ban message changed to something like you have been banned and are no longer able to use this function.
no that i have been allowed back in i will tell you all that i have matured greatly since my absence(other then grammar/spelling) and now run two moderately successful forums(and 8+ dead/seasonal). if it was not for the ban i would have never even needed to look into forum/site hosts and people like subbed74(XshadowX) would have never been brought into the opu community. at this point i will pick up where i left off on trying to aid lop and flashy in the outcasters mission and work on some other projects i had planned(some of witch may not actually deal with op2). this time however i will come from a more mature stand-point and actually take the criticism as is instead of ignoring it as before. hope this helps.
''The blight cant get us up here!''
-famous last words
--------------o0o--------------
Outpost 2: EoM project status: Re-planning

Offline Venera

People In Op2 Credits
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2011, 09:40:37 PM »
You finally decide to come back >_>

People In Op2 Credits
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2011, 10:16:24 PM »
BB had to manually un-ban me. i couldn't come back until now. :/
-famous last words

Offline Zardox Xheonov

People In Op2 Credits
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2011, 07:47:43 AM »
yeah buddy is back!
thanks

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
People In Op2 Credits
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2011, 10:25:56 AM »
no that i have been allowed back in i will tell you all that i have matured greatly since my absence(other then grammar/spelling)
Well, welcome back to the new and improved you  :D

Looking forward to seeing you on IRC for some fun and ass kicking :heh:  
There can be Only one. Wipe Them out. All of Them.

Old player still playing. Visit Spark for a game of Outpost 2

People In Op2 Credits
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2011, 12:23:54 PM »
aww man... sirbomber's post gave me a good laugh. who deleted it?

don't worry. as soon as i saw i could access the forums i knew the IRC was open for me too :D
i'll TRY to get a game in this week(hopefully today) and not get my arce handed to me
-famous last words

Offline Sirbomber

People In Op2 Credits
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2011, 12:20:49 AM »
Glad it gave you a chuckle; I actually put a lot of thought into it, considering I hadn't posted in ages.  Oh well.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline RipperKhan

• http://newvitech.com
People In Op2 Credits
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2011, 10:07:15 PM »
well any ways since i been gone for ages and your new to me eve welcome back lawl

Offline jcj94

• http://techfusion-279.com
People In Op2 Credits
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2011, 06:52:16 PM »
Would it be wrong to setup a facebook/ myspace page on OP2?

Just asking and figured It'd be a slightly effective way to get old school gamers back into their natural habitat. :P

Offline Spikerocks101

People In Op2 Credits
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2011, 07:17:47 PM »
It would require people to expose their real identities, which I am not willing to do. I don't quite see a point of it.

Edit: Seems it already exsist... hm..

Edit 2: Seems some one made a "Outpost 3 Petition", but it has 0 votes, lol.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 07:24:48 PM by Spikerocks101 »
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline jcj94

• http://techfusion-279.com
People In Op2 Credits
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2011, 07:35:55 PM »
It would require people to expose their real identities, which I am not willing to do. I don't quite see a point of it.

Edit: Seems it already exsist... hm..

Edit 2: Seems some one made a "Outpost 3 Petition", but it has 0 votes, lol.
people put there real name on facebook?

Mine are all aliases... I don't use my real name for anything but my initial emails and here.  I use initials, or BornRegime/Snow 2 0222/BloodRouge.

I am paranoid but, I have a computer, so the goverment allready knows everything about me.. except that I like to play golf on sundays.

On the wii.

At four in the morning.

With a glass of milk and some cookies.

wait...

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
People In Op2 Credits
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2011, 11:56:40 PM »
people put there real name on facebook?

Mine are all aliases... I don't use my real name for anything but my initial emails and here.  I use initials, or BornRegime/Snow 2 0222/BloodRouge.
Last time I checked using fake names was against the facebook TOS, and I have heard of accounts being banned/deleted from it... it is meant for people who are on a real name basis with others for networking so it seems to me that it would be prudent to use your real name on the site. (At the very least, it's not the greatest site for networking between strangers, at least if you want to keep your real name/pictures of yourself private that is)

I think the facebook thing has been tried before for OP2 and probably didn't work for a combination of the above reason and simply that I don't think there is much point for duplicating what we have here (the fan pages on facebook allow you to have discussion forums and so on and so forth which would basically be duplicating what is already here at OPU)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 12:00:40 AM by BlackBox »

People In Op2 Credits
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2011, 09:08:18 AM »
I think the facebook page idea is so-so. wile it would bring in more members, it would also make us give up our more personal lives and it would also add to the mess and chaos opu members are so fond of. remember what happened to the wiki? not to mention that no member here is permanent and as soon as the page admin disappears the facebook page becomes useless.
-famous last words