Author Topic: Running Outpost 2 on Windows Vista / 7 (tutorial)  (Read 44474 times)

Offline Admiral S3

Running Outpost 2 on Windows Vista / 7 (tutorial)
« on: January 03, 2011, 05:44:13 AM »
Mods/Admins, please sticky this post.

The following information is for those who are having issues running Outpost 2 in Windows vista and/or Windows 7.

1st Some basic info: The following instruction should allow you to be able to install and run Outpost 2 in Windows Vista and Windows 7. Regardless of the Operating System being 32 bit or 64 bit.

The instructions will work for both stock vanilla CD installations as well as those isntallations downloaded from this or any other site.

This tutorial is written as all persons are computer novices, as such it is lengthy in some places and there may be more then one way to handle what is written.

Step 1: Locate your Outpost 2 disk, or Download the version of Outpost 2 you wish to install from this site.

Step 2 Begin the installation: See step 2b for CD installations, and 2c for Downloaded installations.

Step 2b: Installing from the CD - If you are installing from the CD, insert the CD into your DVD/CD rom drive.. normally this is known as the D: drive. The program should automatically load, just follow the onscreen instructions to complete the installation. Once Completed proceed to step 3.

Step 2c: Installing from a downloaded version - If you are installing from one of the downloadable files avalible on this or another site you will need to take some special steps.

1. Extract the file:  Dpending on the format you choose to download with, you may need other programs to assist you. However if you downloaded a .zip version Windows Vista and Windows 7 will be able to handle this operation.

Right click the file, and select extract. Depending on the speed of your computer this may take a few minutes.

2. Copy the file to a directory you want it in: I know some right now reading this are thinking (you could just extract it to blah,blah directory. Remember I am assuming your a computer newb so shut up. LOL)

I personally like to have all my programs where they belong. You on the other hand might be perfectly happy with it being in C:\users\(username)\downloads\.. if your like me, the proper place is C:\Program Files (x86)\

You can delete the one located in C:\users\(username)\downloads\ if you have copied the file elsewhere. Once your done, proceed to step 3.

Step 3: Data Execution Prevention: DEP is a program with in windows that prevents some programs from using certain memory modules. Outpost 2 is effected by this program, and every with windows XP sp3 to windows 7 may need to disable this program or add Outpost 2 to the expection list.

Open your control panel.
Locate "SYSTEM" and open it.
Find the words "Advanced System Settings" and click that. A new window should open.
Find "Advanced" in the tabs and open it.
Now find the section marked "Performace" and click the settings button a new window should open up.
You will note there are 3 tabs in this new window, the last one should say "Data Execution Prevention" click on that tab.
In this new tab you will have some options. Make sure that the option that says "Turn on DEP for all programs except those I select" has its circle box selected.
Now find the "Add" Button and click that. A new window should open.
This essentially is a windows system explorer box. Locate the directory where Outpost 2 is installed. Go into the putpost 2 directory, and click on Outpost2.exe, then click open.

Now the Data Execution Prevention Program will not interfear with Outpost 2.

Step 4: Setting up Program Compatibility - While some people may not have to do this, some undoubtedly will.

1: Locate the Outpost2.EXE file in the outpost 2 directory. Right click it and select properties from the list.

2: Select "Program Compatibility" (this may just say compatibility on some versions of windows) from the tabs.

3: Select "Run this program in Compatibility mode for:" then use the drop down box and select "Windows XP SP2" from the drop down list.

4: You may wish to also check Disable desktop visual themes, Disable Desktop Composition, Disable display scaling and Run as Administrator just to avoid other problems.

Step 5: Run the game - Yes thats it simply find your outpost2.exe file double click and enjoy.

Admiral S3
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 05:45:15 AM by leeor_net »
Deep beneath the planets surface ancient power systems spool up. Long forgotten, the citzens of the venerated Âlpha Ðefense League begin to wake from thier long sleep.

At long last the Admiral has returned.

Offline Spikerocks101

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 01:32:51 PM »
My instruction are: Download, Extract, Compatibility, Play. But either way, good stuff :D
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 10:45:03 PM by leeor_net »
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline Avi1231

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 08:24:02 AM »
I'm having trouble simply running the setup.exe on the install disc. I have a burnt copy as my brother and I lost the original copy we had something like a decade ago and we lost that copy a long time ago. I tried using the DEP exception method on the setup file on the disc but that didn't seem to make it. Any ideas? I'm running Win7 64-bit. Thanks!

EDIT: The latest file from this site worked, but I'd still like to get it to work off the CD installer.

EDIT 2: Sorry, I figured out it's my sketchy optical drive. The install popped up after roughly 20 minutes out of nowhere. :D
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 10:45:13 PM by leeor_net »

Offline lordpalandus

• Banned
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 08:30:49 PM »
Im having a problem still... it shows the loading popup and then the game crashes on Win7 64bit... added it to the DEP and changed compatibility settings as well.

The annoying part is that when I downloaded this for my Vista 32bit (which I upgraded to Win7 64bit) the game ran perfectly... though I seem to recall having to manually install a registry file or .dll file or something into my Windows folder.

And, AND, I didnt have to do any compatibility settings or this DEP thing either (on the Vista)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 10:45:20 PM by leeor_net »
Currently working on Cataclysm of Chaos, Remade.
Link to OPU page = http://forum.outpost2.net/index.php/topic,6073.0.html

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 05:14:23 AM »
Is there any crash information you can provide? Perhaps a crash address? Any specific error messages?

« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 10:45:34 PM by leeor_net »

Offline aftercolumbia

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 08:38:08 PM »
Not working for me. I have Windows 7 Pro. CMD gives version as 6.1.7601.  I've done the DEP thing and tested all compatibility modes from Windows 95 (I ran the CD edition on Windows 95 OSR2 back when the game was new) up to Windows XP SP2.  Nada.  Not even a loading screen.  Run as administrator.  I've tested several combinations of desktop themes, desktop composition, display scaling, and even 640*480 and 256 colors.  All that does is show me my desktop in early-90s mode for a few seconds.

System is a T61 Thinkpad includes Intel Mobile 965 Express video.  How do you disable hardware support?  Maybe that's it, since the old system it ran well on (i.e.: the one running Win95) had a non-accelerated 2MB video.  I don't think I've ever run Outpost 2 on a system with hardware accelerated video (what they used to call "3DFX") before.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 10:45:41 PM by leeor_net »

Offline nighthalk1

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 04:41:05 PM »
i just wrote a setup program for outpost 1 that can be run on modern machines... should i do one for outpost 2 as well?

yes i realize this is a super necro
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 10:45:48 PM by leeor_net »

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 06:13:22 PM »
Imo we should rather improve the downloadable version on our website, possibly add a real installer that does all settings automatically (if required). Of course we should keep the zip archive (for advanced users).

Promoting the cd version will only lead to confusion when people see that they cannot play online, with people who have the opu version.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 10:46:02 PM by leeor_net »

docross710

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2013, 12:33:39 AM »
I pulled my old Outpost 2 CD and decided to try to install it. All of the help listed here is really awesome except for one omission. What do you do if it won't install? When I insert the disc the autoplay comes up and asks me if I want to install. I say yes and the computer thinks a moment and then nothing happens. I tried going in and using the setup.exe file directly, same thing. I tried using the setup.exe on compatibility mode, same thing.  Does anyone have any advice on how to actually get it to install so I can even worry about the DEP stuff? I've hunted around but I didn't see anything saying what to do if the installer won't work. I apologize if I just didn't see it.
I really appreciate any advice. Thanks a ton in advance!!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 10:46:12 PM by leeor_net »

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2013, 05:48:51 PM »
 What compatibility mode option(s) did you use?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 10:46:18 PM by leeor_net »
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names