Author Topic: Do We Need A New Irc Channel?  (Read 23440 times)

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
Do We Need A New Irc Channel?
« on: December 26, 2010, 03:46:21 PM »
I am beginning with my main concern: Active op2 players have been banned from #Outpost2 in the past, because they acted against the rules. Furthermore those rules make it difficult to get people playing, because people are not allowed to highlight others when asking for a game.

I don't know (nor want to know) who wants those rules. I just want to tell you, that some of us could live well if the rules were less strict in some areas. I brought this up on irc already, without coming to an agreement. So, the rules in #Outpost2 can obviously not be changed.

This leads me to the suggestion of a new irc channel. This channel would be mainly for games and the rules in it would work towards this goal. I.e. people would be allowed to highlight anyone in that channel when asking for games. Bans for #Outpost2 wouldn't apply there and instead of banning people from that channel, the other people in it would try their best to educate people if they acted against the rules. Banning would still be possible when absolutely needed (if someone did something illegal or spammed the channel really bad).

I'm not sure if the IRC Client on our site should be configured to auto-join this channel. If not, we should mention the channel in #Outpost2's topic. Certainly, the people who get banned from #Outpost2 should be directed to the new channel.

#Outpost2 would still be the first place to ask for games (some people in there may want to play although they don't want to be together with "banned" people in the new channel).

And, well, since I don't know whether any of the #Outpost2 operators would like to work in the new channel, someone else may be needed for that job. In that case I would volunteer.

Now, before you start flaming against me, I remind you that all I want is more games being played. If you have another solution for that problem, post it. If you're asking yourself why I didn't already create the channel - I'd prefer it to become an official channel and hence need support of the opu administration. But if the admins don't like the idea or prefer to ignore it, I might just go ahead.

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 04:05:22 PM »
You do realize that the people who get banned from #Outpost2 also get forum bans, etc. as they are disruptive towards the community as a whole, yes?

If people are being consistent troublemakers and as a result can't hardly play Outpost 2 since they are cut off from communication... well, these are people that I'd rather not keep around the community. As such, if you make the channel yourself, it may or may not be considered "aiding and abetting" these individuals.

It is not too much to ask from people that they follow the rules, such as the one that forbids spamming. (We even have a spam forum and a spam channel (#Outpost2.lobby) and people still break that rule!) You aren't an admin or an op (being a moderator on the now de-facto-defunct Genesis forums doesn't exactly count for anything) and therefore haven't personally had the displeasure of having to deal with the multiple people who think that the rules don't apply to them; it's gotten pretty ridiculous. I'll also make it clear, once again, that we are not going back to being extremely lenient - that policy has proven time and time again to be a failure over the years. We are still significantly more lenient than most other communities.

If you desire that more games be played, perhaps you should try to bring new and more pleasant members, rather than advocating that we keep old troublemakers around.

However, a channel that is dedicated to organizing games where highlighting is allowed (when it is done to get someone's attention for a game anyway) might actually be a good idea.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 04:28:48 PM by Arklon »

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 06:23:19 PM »
"aiding and abetting"
... what? That just sounds ridiculous.

I should point out there is a difference between a channel ban and a server ban. If they're not banned from the server, they're still pretty much free to go into or create other channels of their choosing. Unless of course they get themselves banned from those other channels, or are continually disruptive to the point where they just get a server ban.

Having a channel where people can "highlight" other people to ask for a game seems totally reasonable. I find it a bit odd this isn't allowed in the main channel (although, I do find it annoying). I can kind of understand it though considering how many people like to idle in there, and perhaps keep up with what's going on, but without the desire to play games. Still, they're in a gaming related channel, so I don't think it's unreasonable to expect gaming requests.

Offline TH300

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 01:59:20 PM »
You do realize that the people who get banned from #Outpost2 also get forum bans, etc. as they are disruptive towards the community as a whole, yes?
I know that. But thats not what I'm concerned about. The forum is not needed for playing op2.

If people are being consistent troublemakers and as a result can't hardly play Outpost 2 since they are cut off from communication... well, these are people that I'd rather not keep around the community.
I am not concerned about people who won't play. Fact is that people have been banned who I was able to play many games with. Being a "troublemaker" and playing op2 is not a contradiction.
As such, if you make the channel yourself, it may or may not be considered "aiding and abetting" these individuals.
I am not someone who encourages disruptive behaviour. I will even urge them to stop it, but I won't ban quickly. I believe that people can learn if they understand. And to make them understand is a good Op's task, not to ban if the Op is not capable of doing that.
Now, what do you mean with "aiding"? Aiding in playing Outpost2? Do you not want that people play Outpost2?

It is not too much to ask from people that they follow the rules, such as the one that forbids spamming. (We even have a spam forum and a spam channel (#Outpost2.lobby) and people still break that rule!)
The spam rule is reasonable. But banning for spam that happened with no bad intents is at least questionable.
You aren't an admin or an op (being a moderator on the now de-facto-defunct Genesis forums doesn't exactly count for anything) and therefore haven't personally had the displeasure of having to deal with the multiple people who think that the rules don't apply to them; it's gotten pretty ridiculous.
Maybe its ridiculous from your point of view. No, I didn't have to deal with such people directly, but I met them and I found that I could talk reasonably with them.

I'll also make it clear, once again, that we are not going back to being extremely lenient - that policy has proven time and time again to be a failure over the years. We are still significantly more lenient than most other communities.
Pointing to other people is always easy. How can you be sure that they're doing it the right way? Why do you think that opu works the same way as other communities do?

If you desire that more games be played, perhaps you should try to bring new and more pleasant members, rather than advocating that we keep old troublemakers around.
I have reasons for what I do and do not. Thats my business.

However, a channel that is dedicated to organizing games where highlighting is allowed (when it is done to get someone's attention for a game anyway) might actually be a good idea.

I should point out there is a difference between a channel ban and a server ban. If they're not banned from the server, they're still pretty much free to go into or create other channels of their choosing. Unless of course they get themselves banned from those other channels, or are continually disruptive to the point where they just get a server ban.
People should only get channel bans, unless they are abusing the server. Rules should be divided into channel rules and server rules. Think about it: people may have their own private channel and be happy there without disturbing anyone else. Which reason would there be to ban them from the server?

Having a channel where people can "highlight" other people to ask for a game seems totally reasonable. I find it a bit odd this isn't allowed in the main channel (although, I do find it annoying). I can kind of understand it though considering how many people like to idle in there, and perhaps keep up with what's going on, but without the desire to play games. Still, they're in a gaming related channel, so I don't think it's unreasonable to expect gaming requests.
So, we agree in this point.

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 04:10:15 PM »
If people are being consistent troublemakers and as a result can't hardly play Outpost 2 since they are cut off from communication... well, these are people that I'd rather not keep around the community.
I am not concerned about people who won't play. Fact is that people have been banned who I was able to play many games with. Being a "troublemaker" and playing op2 is not a contradiction.
Being a troublemaker and being at OPU is.

As such, if you make the channel yourself, it may or may not be considered "aiding and abetting" these individuals.
I am not someone who encourages disruptive behaviour. I will even urge them to stop it, but I won't ban quickly. I believe that people can learn if they understand. And to make them understand is a good Op's task, not to ban if the Op is not capable of doing that.
Now, what do you mean with "aiding"? Aiding in playing Outpost2? Do you not want that people play Outpost2?
More like not want them at OPU. If they consistently fail to practice proper etiquette, they have no business being here; other corners of the internet, except perhaps 4chan, would be no more welcoming to those types. What you're not realizing is the people who you always use as examples when you've made these arguments in the past have not just broken a rule, but they have done so consistently, despite all measures that were taken on our part in response.

It is not too much to ask from people that they follow the rules, such as the one that forbids spamming. (We even have a spam forum and a spam channel (#Outpost2.lobby) and people still break that rule!)
The spam rule is reasonable. But banning for spam that happened with no bad intents is at least questionable.
Spam is spam, which is in violation of the rules; the intent of the perpetrator is irrelevant, only the intent of the rule matters.

You aren't an admin or an op (being a moderator on the now de-facto-defunct Genesis forums doesn't exactly count for anything) and therefore haven't personally had the displeasure of having to deal with the multiple people who think that the rules don't apply to them; it's gotten pretty ridiculous.
Maybe its ridiculous from your point of view. No, I didn't have to deal with such people directly, but I met them and I found that I could talk reasonably with them.
I and the other admins attempted the same thing, believe it or not, and it changed nothing. You realize that some of these users have gotten far more than a standardish (three) amount of warnings before other punishments were enacted? If you're asking that we give them a "second chance", you're a little late for that, since many have already been given second chances, and third chances, and... [...]

I'll also make it clear, once again, that we are not going back to being extremely lenient - that policy has proven time and time again to be a failure over the years. We are still significantly more lenient than most other communities.
Pointing to other people is always easy. How can you be sure that they're doing it the right way? Why do you think that opu works the same way as other communities do?
Actually, I said OPU doesn't work the same way as other communities. You should probably try reading some time. Also, those other communities sure seem far more effective at kicking problems out the door, but I've also seen a couple examples of communities where the admins are virtually trolls. I can tell you with certainty that, if the administration here bothers you, you won't even be able to fathom how things work at most of these other places. People have it relatively very easy here, and in the not all too distant past, it was even easier.

When your business involves keeping around people who can't follow a simple rule and find their actions noticed by the administration, it goes beyond your own interests.

Like I said, I'm all for a channel that's specifically for organizing games, but throwing an unwarranted bone to users who can't resist getting themselves banned is too much.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 04:27:32 PM by Arklon »

Offline Spikerocks101

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 06:02:11 PM »
Not every one is the perfect candidate for outpost 2, but we need to respect others. I don't see how being nice is a bad thing. Just let people play the darn game. Bans should be limited (ie, maximum punishment is 5 day ban) as not to ruin the game for some one. And prema banning should be not even allowed, unless it is a must (and being annoying should not be a reason for a perma ban, only stuff that threatens the security of OPU members or the site it self). Also, as Hooman said, this is a site about a game, and the IRC is pretty much there to set up games. Getting highlighted for a game should not be such a bad thing.
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline TH300

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 07:03:49 PM »
Being a troublemaker and being at OPU is.
no comment

More like not want them at OPU. If they consistently fail to practice proper etiquette, they have no business being here; other corners of the internet, except perhaps 4chan, would be no more welcoming to those types. What you're not realizing is the people who you always use as examples when you've made these arguments in the past have not just broken a rule, but they have done so consistently, despite all measures that were taken on our part in response.
I am ignoring your reference to other places on the internet (for the reason see my post above). I can understand that you don't want them at places where you can notice them. But if they are in a channel where you are not, why do you care? And yes, they have broken rules. They got banned from places where people felt disturbed by them. But why would you deny them access to a place where people are more "patient" (not the exact word that I want to use)?

Spam is spam, which is in violation of the rules; the intent of the perpetrator is irrelevant, only the intent of the rule matters.
I absolutely disagree here. Even laws of the real world care about the intents.

I and the other admins attempted the same thing, believe it or not, and it changed nothing. You realize that some of these users have gotten far more than a standardish (three) amount of warnings before other punishments were enacted? If you're asking that we give them a "second chance", you're a little late for that, since many have already been given second chances, and third chances, and... [...]
So, you explained to them, when ever you gave them a warning, what they did wrong, why it was wrong, why the rules forbid it, and that they would get banned if they continued to violate rules? I don't have to ask whether you listened to them when they tried to explain to you why they violated the rules. If they were then neither able to understand nor to give you a good explanation, then and only then would a ban or warning be justified. - as I see it. You don't have to repeat that you see that differently.

Actually, I said OPU doesn't work the same way as other communities. You should probably try reading some time. Also, those other communities sure seem far more effective at kicking problems out the door, but I've also seen a couple examples of communities where the admins are virtually trolls. I can tell you with certainty that, if the administration here bothers you, you won't even be able to fathom how things work at most of these other places. People have it relatively very easy here, and in the not all too distant past, it was even easier.
yea, people have it easy here. Because people breaking rules doesn't bother too many people too much and Outpost2 must be kept alive.

When your business involves keeping around people who can't follow a simple rule and find their actions noticed by the administration, it goes beyond your own interests.
I meant, who I invite to opu and who not is my business.

Like I said, I'm all for a channel that's specifically for organizing games, but throwing an unwarranted bone to users who can't resist getting themselves banned is too much.

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 10:24:45 PM »
This thread is wall of text land, so I'm keeping this kinda short.

TH300, the fact that you and this thread are still around says a lot about this place's leniency.  Most places, you whine about people getting banned and you get yourself a nice ban too.  We're lenient because we can be, not out of some need to "keep OP2 alive" or because rule-breaking "doesn't bother us".

While we're on the subject of keeping the game alive, I think it's time to talk about that thing we all know but never say out loud.  It's been over a decade.  We have, what, 3 regularly active members?  I think I speak for most of us when I say that it's been fun while it lasted, but I no longer really care about Outpost anymore.  While it's fun to play the occasional game for nostalgia's sake, Outpost has been dead for a long time now, and I've moved on.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 08:16:28 AM »
Highlighting people on IRC has been an effective way of getting people gathered up for games for as long as we have used IRC.

Highlighting people once to see if they are available or to wake people up for game start should be ok. (And it seems to be, since people have done it for years without repercussions)

Continued highlights or "highlight/slap" wars is of course another matter.
There can be Only one. Wipe Them out. All of Them.

Old player still playing. Visit Spark for a game of Outpost 2

Offline Zardox Xheonov

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 09:58:17 AM »
man i totally agree... we should be less strict.

i mean i can't even talk about other games to my freinds in #outpost2 cuzz it has to be "on topic" ... i side with TH300... strongly.
Hit me up on discord, if I am online, you know I'll be gaming.

(Lord Of Pain is no more, I am currently now "Zardox" and have been for awhile on other platforms.)

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 12:33:46 PM »
I'd agree with bomber if it weren't for the fear that everyone would decide the same, render the site useless, and then I'd have nowhere to talk to people anymore :/
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 05:52:53 PM »
i mean i can't even talk about other games to my freinds in #outpost2 cuzz it has to be "on topic" ... i side with TH300... strongly.
This is purely because that is what #outpost2 is meant to be for, discussions related to OP2 (really it's used for anything that is substantially OPU related but that's because we have so few people who frequent IRC. We used to have separate channels for the other stuff like OP1 and whatnot but they are pointless now).

This is the beauty of IRC; you can create new channels whenever you want so you don't have to clutter other channels with discussion that is not going to be a common interest to other people in the channel.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 10:35:37 PM »
The only problem I have with highlighting is they highlight EVERYBODY and multipul time and some times rapid fire which is really why any one would get banned which would most certainly be a very short temp ban or just very least kicked.  Nothing that would really constitute a perma ban. Yet highlights are usefull to definately get some ones attention. How ever I dont believe they need to be spammed. One method I would suggest is setting up the word game as a highlightable word that way any one who has this set when some one says. Person1: Game any one. They get a little ping or box or what ever it is that clues you in when you get highlighted.  thus solving the problem of having a line of names being put out.  Because when there were more members about that was about 30 names at peak that would be spewed out on the screen.

I dont know about any other rules that arent just some commonsence.  Not being able to talk about other games doesnt make sense to me. you should beable to talk about any thing you want in outpost2. how ever spam and coding have there appropriate channels.

Offline TH300

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2011, 04:59:39 AM »
One method I would suggest is setting up the word game as a highlightable word that way any one who has this set when some one says. Person1: Game any one. They get a little ping or box or what ever it is that clues you in when you get highlighted.
Nice thought, but that wouldn't work too well, since people are using the word "game" also if they don't want to play, and do so quite often (example: "playing a colony game") and even if they are going to play the word "game" may be used annoyingly often (example: "game is up"). And I agree that uninterested people shouldn't be highlighted more than once in a while.

What we really need (but is probably impossible without lots of hacking) is a user flag on irc (like '@') that people can set by themselves and means they want to play. Maybe the '+' can be modified to work that way. Then, if someone wanted to play, he/she would just highlight all people with '+'. (not the perfect solution, because '+' is invisible if they have a higher level)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 05:00:31 AM by TH300 »

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2011, 10:51:07 AM »
Perhaps a different word could be used as well and put the info in the topic or the motd. As for the other thought I believe you can shut off highlights.

Offline jcj94

• http://techfusion-279.com
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2011, 09:52:19 AM »
Did... Sir Bomber... Say OP2 was dead?

Well, judging by the IRC activity.. Yes
But with the people at my school who don't realize that there is an IRC, that you don't need gameranger, and that there are other people who play OP2... I'd say it's alive and kicking.  

I've got about... 30 ... 35 people who would be willing to play, IF they did it outside of school.  During summertime you guys might see a much larger influx of new members than usual.  

And I do have to say something on TH300 comments...
     1: Walls of text
     2: Good idea for the allowance of highlighting.
     3: Naming convention for game starting would actually be a pretty good idea, that and an In Game flag

LOP I can understand your whole: can't talk about other games issue.  I, however, also see others point of view on this, because you can just make your own channel, like I have one set every time I log in to create #Outpost for people who want to talk (mostly) about anything LIKE Outpost 1 or 2.  I really should change that channel name to RTS...
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 09:54:00 AM by jcj94 »

Offline evecolonycamander

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2011, 03:11:14 PM »
I about a month ago because i was of my ban started 'recruiting' op2 players and was in the process of making a second community so that way we could all be able to play the game. one of the outcomes of this decision was that me and XshadowX(subbed74) made a outpost 2 chat room so we could get together and kick each other's arces. we COULD use it as a back up. I do warn you all though that we often get other people that have little to nothing to do with OP2 there.

xat.com/outpost2

I prefer IRC though because you can select all the text at once and just not word by word. anyhow, i hope this helps some :D
''The blight cant get us up here!''
-famous last words
--------------o0o--------------
Outpost 2: EoM project status: Re-planning

Offline jcj94

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2011, 03:33:39 PM »
I have found a new chat client, still free, without the pestering to register.

It is called Xchat, and TH300 you'll be very happy to know that there is a CASE SENSITIVE function to set highlights for words, not just nicks.  

In this case you could have GAME set up so that you can highlight people who are there to game at that time.  And another added advantage is a much simpler Ops system.  You, as the channels leader, can give, or take ops simply.  It is also much easier to kick/ban someone from channel and or server.  The most wonderful thing... NO SLAPS.

There are smiley's and other things, you can customize it a ton, but most importantly, its free, and I currently use it anytime I connect to the IRC server.

Offline TH300

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2011, 05:14:35 PM »
I have found a new chat client, still free, without the pestering to register.

It is called Xchat, and TH300 you'll be very happy to know that there is a CASE SENSITIVE function to set highlights for words, not just nicks.
It has to work in mirc, because most people use mirc (or nns which is based on mirc). Otherwise its not an option. We cannot ask people to switch their client. And we should write a guide that explains how to set up highlighting on words.

So, yea, the idea of highlighting certain words seems to be the most practical one. We still need a word though.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2011, 08:24:32 PM »
I've got about... 30 ... 35 people who would be willing to play, IF they did it outside of school. During summertime you guys might see a much larger influx of new members than usual.

sirbomber sees it as a waste of time since he only bother to come on the forums any more. Also hes been around a while he has seen opu with alot of people in it. I my self have seen at least 30 people in the main channel at one time. but this was also a very long time ago. Being that has been a long time alot of people there were insane and stayed on opu almost 24/7 arent around any more. time goes on.

As far as you bringing more members in I have heard of people boasting about this before. All I have to say is bring them or dont.

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2011, 09:07:08 PM »
I've got about... 30 ... 35 people who would be willing to play, IF they did it outside of school. During summertime you guys might see a much larger influx of new members than usual.

sirbomber sees it as a waste of time since he only bother to come on the forums any more. Also hes been around a while he has seen opu with alot of people in it. I my self have seen at least 30 people in the main channel at one time. but this was also a very long time ago. Being that has been a long time alot of people there were insane and stayed on opu almost 24/7 arent around any more. time goes on.

As far as you bringing more members in I have heard of people boasting about this before. All I have to say is bring them or dont.
Agreed. i seem only able to bring in one member per every 6 months. only ONE of these members has ever stayed. and that seems to be subbed.
-famous last words

Offline jcj94

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2011, 09:15:48 PM »
I'm pulling from a pool of nerds.. who still play GBA COLORS...

I don't think I'll have a problem with getting them to play a game that, in their eyes, "closely resembles starcraft, but better and more involving"

We are nerds....

Some will probrably only be summer gamers though, seeing as I havn't been on lately because of FIRST robotics and stuff... spending my weeknights and weekends at a DANA manufacturing facility.. even though i was a java programmer for the team..(don't ask couldn't tell you myself)

So even I have my drought periods, but I still come back to play..

Long live OP2 and its (hopeful) Future members

And on the FUTURE part... how difficult would it be to .. breakdown the .dll files themselves.. or isn't there a way to reverse them into source....

From what I understand, there isn't a way, because the source code is compressed in such a way that it removes most of the information, and, if optimized, even less of the information is there, so you'd be playing fill-in-the-Swiss with it.  

I still want to find a way... I want a third outpost...

We should nag someone at the current company, after all, its abandonware correct?

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2011, 11:03:45 PM »
we've nagged the development team too much as is. bug them at your own risk. i say we give up on op2 source and move to actually TRY to make an op3 on our own. who knows, mabie we'll get lucky and actually complete something like that. or, we'll sit here and wine over our dieing community some more :/

EDIT: fixed typo
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 06:55:02 PM by evecolonycamander »
-famous last words

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2011, 03:28:11 PM »
it maybe abandon but there are still other legal issues to get around as far as that is concerned. you might be better off taking the good aspects from this game and make a entirely different game. Off topic.  

Offline jcj94

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2011, 09:41:14 PM »
we've nagged the development team too much as is. bug them at your own risk. i say we give up on op2 source and move to actually TRY to make an op3 on our own. who knows, mabie we'll get lucky and actually complete something like that. or, we'll sit here and wine over our dieing community some more :/

I, as I get better and hope to learn more from the community and tutorials, would LOVE to help.... Does the current company who owns op2 have a copyright on the names (i.e. ConVec, RoboDozer, RoboMiner, Savant...)  if not.. or hell, even if they do, they can't complain, it's abandonware....

How difficult is it to write and .exe from scratch? some tell me its simple, some tell me it can be difficult...  And they all vary in range of experience.

I'm curious and thinking about going into software engineering as a college degree field.  Rose Holman, a college in Indiana is where I hope to end up going, and I feel this would let me... get used to working the way I'd be there.

I'll try to help all that I can in the summertime, seeing as I'm a freshman and have my exams coming up.. stupid Great Depression project..

So it's schoolwork or OP2...

I myself pick OP3 but my parents have final word in the matter.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 09:42:04 PM by jcj94 »