Author Topic: Recent Irc Issues  (Read 7561 times)

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
Recent Irc Issues
« on: November 23, 2010, 02:53:17 PM »
For a few weeks, now, irc seems to be quite unstable: it occurs that half the users get disconnected at the same time, then come back and the other half gets disconnected and that may repeat several times. Sometimes the server is completely unavailable for 30 minutes or longer.

I understand that sometimes downtimes are needed for maintenance, but I'd expect that you'd get it done at some point. So, can any of the responsible people tell us, whats going on, or at least for how long you expect the issues to endure? Thanks.

Edit: I don't mean to complain about the downtimes. I just want to know whats going on.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 02:59:12 PM by TH300 »

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Recent Irc Issues
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 06:25:22 PM »
Unfortunately it's been stuff that's outside of our control lately. Apparently the datacenter had some kind of power outage (it kinda baffled my mind, normally datacenters do not just "have" power outages, there are backup generators in place to prevent the whole datacenter from losing power. Or so one would think).

IRC is hosted on a separate machine from the website (we are very impressed with our host for the website, but they don't allow any sort of IRC usage within their network at all, and many other hosting companies are the same way). We are not so impressed with the performance there.

To be honest, we have started to consider alternatives to IRC (I know a lot of people dislike change, but something needs to be done). We have been considering XMPP/Jabber (there are plenty of free clients for all operating systems, and it would allow us to do almost everything we can do with IRC now)... more information will come in the future.