Author Topic: Hello From Your Irc Lurker Friend  (Read 2648 times)

Offline cmiller

Hello From Your Irc Lurker Friend
« on: December 12, 2010, 03:32:08 AM »
Yes I have a forum account.  No I don't use it much.  I created it so nobody would go around masquerading as me.  I figured I ought to make a post so the account doesn't get nuked.

I'm cmiller, I'm a single white male 21-year-old computer scientist living in the San Francisco Bay Area of California.  I work on XML parsers for a living. Oh, the XML parsers are on an iPhone, and they let me play with animation code and stuff like that on occasion.  So I guess I'm an iPhone programmer.  But most of what I do ends up being XML.

XML... it's like violence.  If it didn't work, you failed to use enough of it.

Those who haven't been on IRC don't know me.  Those who have, probably know about my effort to make a clone of OP2.  It's Mac-only, and my personal pet project.  So I'm kind of doing it my way without any goals of meeting a deadline.  It's fun, it's open-source.  I'm planning on trying to model things in Blender, then take 2D renders of those models to create my art.  If anyone wants to use that kind of stuff that I'll be making soon, you're welcome to it.  (I'm not the possessive type).  http://github.com/fsdev-cmiller/Outpost

I started playing Outpost 2 when I was 10 years old or so.  Or maybe 9?  So long ago... can't tell.  Surely I wasn't 8?  Anyways, there's a certain addicting nature to OP2, and I've probably spent upwards of 1,000 hours playing the game against my computer over the past decade.  Due to its lack of any kind of map editor (a good one, anyways) I've always wanted to clone it, so that's the drive behind my little project.

Maybe someday I'll decide to slow down enough to play a game of the good old fashioned OP2 with a few people, but until then I hang out in IRC much of the time.

So that's hello from me.

Offline Spikerocks101

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 12:22:22 PM »
Hia! You met me :D
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 01:46:07 PM »
Welcome to the forums cmiller. Of course we all want you to play op2 with us, but if you really can't, thats ok. And I stopped caring about op2 remakes. If you finish it one day (and someone ports it to Linux) I will certainly be grateful. If you don't, I don't care.

Offline cmiller

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 03:50:28 PM »
Welcome to the forums cmiller. Of course we all want you to play op2 with us, but if you really can't, thats ok. And I stopped caring about op2 remakes. If you finish it one day (and someone ports it to Linux) I will certainly be grateful. If you don't, I don't care.

Yeah I'm pretty open about it.  It's a personal pet project.  It'll be finished when I damn well feel like it, which is no guarantee that it'll ever get done at all.  I hope I'll finish it, but as with most personal pet projects, it's more about the journey than the product.

In theory it's not hard to port to Linux or Windows.  All you need is a Cocoa/AppKit stand-in like Cocotron.  LLVM supports cross-compiling anyways, so it's not difficult once you overcome the framework issue.  I just don't want to bother with that bit off the bat, because really...

The times I've done Windows development, the system always destabilizes and dies after a few months.  Linux development is just meh on account of a million million libraries (none of which work together).  Plus the whole Gnome/X11/KDE schism makes input/UI integration a total pain.

I figure it's easier to build it first, then port it if I have time.  If I build it the Apple-way first, then I can also try putting it on an iPad, which would be fun.