Author Topic: Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....  (Read 2055 times)

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....
« on: August 25, 2010, 01:37:38 AM »
I decided that I'd like to use my older LCD tv as a second monitor, but I've run into issues:

1) my NVIDIA gfx card won't allow me to use my mainboard display port.  I cannot even find it in the device manager

2) the only other port I can use on my NVIDIA card is an S-Video port (which blows chunks for image clarity at higher resolutions)

Is there any way to regain use of the mainboard integrated card without ditching my NVIDIA card?
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 08:21:01 AM »
Go into the BIOS, there is usually an option for this. I had the same issue when I switched to having three monitors (video card has two DVI ports and the mobo has one).

I can't remember the name of the setting (and it will surely be different between different mobo brands) but there was a selection for which video hardware should be activated by the BIOS, and it let me pick "PCI express card + onboard." Without doing this, the onboard graphics hardware did not even show up to the operating system.

Mind you it will steal some RAM for use as the onboard video RAM (for example mine was configured to use 512mb) so your OS will see that much less usable for other purposes.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 12:41:33 AM »
Thanks for the help hacker.  My system has 2 GB of RAM, so hopefully it won't hinder things too much (the summer heat and humidity is already doing a number on the performance, though >.<)

RRAWRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I managed to find it, but the bios refuses to allow me to enable the integrated card while using the PCI-e gfx card

It's an AMIBIOS on an ASUS mainboard

and a second addon, I looked at the ASUS support forum, and it turns out that I'm screwed unless I can find a DVI cable laying around to "borrow"
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 01:59:29 AM by CK9 »
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names