Author Topic: Minecraft  (Read 13352 times)

Offline Zardox Xheonov

Minecraft
« on: February 28, 2011, 08:08:05 AM »
So yeah im into minecraft at minecraft.net and i bought the full version abround 6 mounths ago, just started playing it again.

I was woundering if any of the opu members have heard of minecraft and how rich notch has gotten. over 4 million registered and quite a few have paid (around 1000 at least, prob way more though only guessing here XD) and it was once said (idk if this is true) every #mins #people join (idk the variables cuzz i forget).

although its a great game i wish i had someone to play with or interact with who plays it too. Minecraft is so awsome! i love it and would love to hear what you guys have to say about the game.

Minecraft has received generally favorable responses from critics, and has had notably large numbers of sales. On January 12, 2011, Minecraft passed 1,000,000 purchases,[5][6] less than a month after reaching Beta. At the same time, the game had no publisher backing and has never been commercially advertised except through word of mouth.[29] As of February 8, 2011, Minecraft had over 4,000,000 registered users, and over 1,230,000 purchases.[30] In September 2010, after an impromptu "free to play" weekend, the game had a spike in sales of over 25,000 purchases in 24 hours.[31][32] The game has been praised for the creative freedom it grants its players in-game, and for how dynamic its overall gameplay is.[33][34][35] PC Gamer listed Minecraft as the fourth-best game to play at work.[36] A review of the alpha version, by Scott Munro of the Daily Record, called it "already something special" and urged readers to buy it.[37] Jim Rossignol of Rock, Paper, Shotgun also recommended the alpha of the game, calling it "a kind of generative 8-bit Lego Stalker".[38] On September 17, 2010, gaming webcomic Penny Arcade began a series of comics and news posts about the addictiveness of the game.[39] Video game talk show Good Game gave it a 7.5 and 9 out of 10, praising its creativity and customization, though they criticized its lack of a tutorial.[40]

In December 2010, Good Game selected Minecraft as their choice for "Best Downloadable Game of 2010" title,[41] Gamasutra named it the eighth best game of the year as well as the eighth best indie game of the year,[42][43] and Rock, Paper, Shotgun named it the game of the year.[44] Indie DB awarded the game the 2010 "Indie of the Year" award as chosen by voters, in addition to two out of five Editor's Choice awards for "Most Innovative" and "Best Singleplayer Indie".[45] It was also awarded "Game of the Year" by PC Gamer UK,[46] and is nominated for the 2011 "Seumas McNally Grand Prize", "Technical Excellence", and "Excellence in Design" awards at the Independent Games Festival, to be held in March 2011.[47]

Above quote from HERE
And speaks the truth, for i've seen the news on various minecraft sites supporting minecraft and these details. (I have done my research.)

Maybe a few of us could play on a server?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 12:34:48 PM by Lord Of Pain »
Hit me up on discord, if I am online, you know I'll be gaming.

(Lord Of Pain is no more, I am currently now "Zardox" and have been for awhile on other platforms.)

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Minecraft
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 11:57:50 AM »
I've only seen vids of it on the cheezburger network.  Not even sure what to think of it.
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Zardox Xheonov

Minecraft
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 12:25:05 PM »
if anyone here wants to learn about Minecraft
then perhabs we should watch the trailor on their homepage..

(actions speak louder than words, might as well show you.)

i mainly like minecraft becuase the possibilities are endless, you can create a city from scratch, you can explore an endless world with endless supplies of cubes.
And you can custumize your charactor to look like anything using paintshop or gimp.

They do have a large community of people and the content keeps growing.
The game itself acheived several gaming awards.

I'd say the game is nearly perfect in my eyes.
Although their multiplayer system is still in progress, just needs a little tweaking such as an in game lobby would be nice. It would also be hard to do, am i right?

Like the netfix for op2 for example you could see hosted games on the server listing the ip game type and ect. Is this hard to do?

Oh and the graphics are almost entirely java.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 12:35:21 PM by Lord Of Pain »

(Lord Of Pain is no more, I am currently now "Zardox" and have been for awhile on other platforms.)

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Minecraft
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 03:19:23 PM »
looked at it, took a shot at the "outdated" single player.  Was left rather confused
CK9 in outpost
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...

Offline TRIX Rabbit

• http://androidar.deviantart.com/
Minecraft
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 04:36:36 PM »
I play Minecraft, I bought it the day before it went beta, and I've been suitably addicted to it.

My usual (read, the only one I play on) server is mcdominion.net
My Minecraft username (and everywhere-but-here username) is AndroidAR

BTW, this is my first post in almost 3 years. Dang.
I'm more commonly known as AndroidAR now:
My deviantArt

Offline Hidiot

Minecraft
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 02:20:40 AM »
These days almost every man, his dog, and the spider in the corner of the room has heard about minecraft.

I'm currently spending my spare time digging a 10 block wide by 4 block high tunnel at the bottom of the world, hoping to reach some form of an edge of the world in my lifetime. I have no real estimate of the tunnel's length to date, but it's probably a few thousand blocks long. It can only be traveled by using mine carts and exploiting mine cart boosters.

The outdated single player (Classic) is nothing compared to the actual game.

If you cherish your soul and are unable to control yourself when it comes to addicting games, don't buy it.
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline AmIMeYet

Minecraft
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 02:30:47 PM »
I'm currently spending my spare time digging a 10 block wide by 4 block high tunnel at the bottom of the world, hoping to reach some form of an edge of the world in my lifetime.
Incoming spoiler:
I don't want to rip you from your happy little world, but you do realize the map is roughly [SPOILER][size=8]8 times the size of earth[/size][/SPOILER], right? :P

I play some minecraft as well, altough unfortunately I do not have an online account. It's a great game to play, that's for sure. I think I love the stream of updates most of all, tough.

I actually did a tiny presentation about it at school today! What a coincidence. http://www.slideshare.net/AmIMeYet/minecraft-7101351

Also, I need a spoiler tag.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 02:31:32 PM by AmIMeYet »

Offline Hidiot

Minecraft
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 03:08:22 PM »
AmIMeYet, I know that, but I don't know what that 8 times actually means. Is it 8 times volume, 8 times radius, 8 times the circumference, 8 times the area, which?

Each block is supposed to be 1 meter, so 1000 blocks is 1 km.
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline AmIMeYet

Minecraft
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 03:24:24 PM »
This might clear things up a bit: http://notch.tumblr.com/post/443693773/the...d-is-bigger-now

I really like his constant (although now less so) communication towards the community.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Minecraft
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 04:19:41 PM »
I got a chance to try it out last night from...a...um..."friend" and I must say I can see the appeal.  However, with no income of my own it would be wrong of me to buy it right now, lol.  So unless there is a private server I can hide on until such a time I have both an income and some free time...heh
CK9 in outpost

Offline Zardox Xheonov

Minecraft
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2011, 10:09:46 AM »
in otherwords the game world contantly grows as you explore. It would appear as to no limit to how long you can travel in a straight direction going nonstop.

Also id assume notch has gotten pretty rich off the selling of his game. Im one of the alpha users btw (meaning i got a discount when beta came out).

Btw im just curious, does minecraft have their own IRC or related program for starting games with their community? if so link please?

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
Minecraft
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2011, 06:09:30 PM »
On my comp the classic version of the game just crashes on startup. So I guess, I won't bother to get the beta. It seems to be some bug in the fglrx driver that is only triggered if used in connection with Java and I can't find a reasonable way to fix it.

I'm not sure, whether thats a good or a bad thing. At least I won't become a minecraft-addict now.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 06:10:09 PM by TH300 »

Offline Zardox Xheonov

Minecraft
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2011, 07:44:28 AM »
Traitor!!! you put shame into the face of java-kind... :P

Offline TRIX Rabbit

• http://androidar.deviantart.com/
Minecraft
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2011, 09:58:54 AM »
I really wish Minecraft wasn't written in Java. Sure, the portability of Java is handy, but for a program the size of Minecraft, Java slows it down, especially the server software. If they recoded it in C/C++, it would run tons faster, I think. That's pretty much my biggest gripe with Minecraft.
I'm more commonly known as AndroidAR now:
My deviantArt

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
Minecraft
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2011, 10:59:21 AM »
At least Java makes it cross platform. Thats a thing Java is really good for and I like Java for it. And if you want speed, using a fast language is one thing, but coding it the right way is also and probably even more important. I don't know the internals of Minecraft, but I believe that it can be optimized to run faster, even in Java.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Minecraft
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2011, 11:32:13 AM »
Wasn't there something to do with forced memory dumps in java?
CK9 in outpost