Author Topic: Want My Bitlbee?  (Read 2818 times)

Offline op2rules

• op2rules.net
Want My Bitlbee?
« on: July 22, 2010, 07:19:41 PM »
Bitlbee is an open source IRC project. It creates a gateway between irc and popular IM protocols such as msn, jabber, and oscar. You connect to a bitlbee server and you can add accounts such as Facebook, twitter, msn, icq, aol, yahoo, gtalk, etc etc. They all populate a userlist, and when you pm them it acts as a standard message sent through any IM client. The joy of this is you have all your s*** in one place, and if you already use IRC it's even better. It's also a lot faster to connect all your stuff, and your only limited to your IRC clients limitations. If you use mIRC + NNS you know possibilites are endless with this kind of a setup. You can also do group chats etc.

Anyways, I have my own private bitlbee server, and if you're interested in using it you can PM me. You can alternatively use the public servers on bitlbee.org, which may be less reliable and secure.  
Checkout my website, op2rules.net. It has free games, software, and snappy guides. Oh and did I mention the uber friendly community forums?
Life to me is a simple game that I utterly win at.
 ^--- GD Text Generati

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Want My Bitlbee?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 09:10:41 AM »
personally i find all those all in one programs annoying

Offline op2rules

• op2rules.net
Want My Bitlbee?
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 11:27:05 AM »
So essentially you're saying IRC clients (and other things such as flash and java that can also connect to IRC) are all annoying. Neat.

Edit: Actually, the way you posted that sounded like you were completely not referring to bitlbee at all.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 02:58:16 PM by op2rules »
Checkout my website, op2rules.net. It has free games, software, and snappy guides. Oh and did I mention the uber friendly community forums?
Life to me is a simple game that I utterly win at.
 ^--- GD Text Generati

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Want My Bitlbee?
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 12:10:24 AM »
I think it's more than he's expressing dissatisfaction with do-it-all tools that far too often do a ton of things poorly, rather than one thing well. Plus, things that do too much, or appear too "busy" can be somewhat stressful and annoying to use.

Simplify.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Want My Bitlbee?
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 01:31:27 PM »
all in one programs hehe. its kinda like cooking a hotdog and eating it at the same time then you forgot the bun and condements

Offline Kayedon

Want My Bitlbee?
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 04:56:11 PM »
I'd compare it to an uncooked hotdog with a bit of each and every condiment but they clash horribly and there isn't enough of any to matter.

I've used enough multi-protocol programs to know I'd rather go with what I have and use (I only use MSN, so why have an MPP?) that does the job so much better with more features than the bare minimum.
"Trust me, I'm crazy."