Author Topic: Content Contest  (Read 22653 times)

Offline Sirbomber

Content Contest
« on: July 01, 2010, 12:55:48 PM »
Hi everyone!  I'm announcing the start of our Summer Content Contest, lasting from July 1st to August 15th!  The idea of the Contest is simple: to see who can create the best new Outpost 2 content (see below for categories list).  Please submit entries into the Content Submissions thread in the File Forums.

Oh, and everyone's looking forward to some really interesting stuff, so don't just slap something together and call it "good enough."  But some effort into it!

VERY IMPORTANT NOTE:  Please, please, please check out the rules and submission criteria before you start working on your submissions.

-Maps (May use any tileset)
 > Judged by creativity, aesthetic appeal/professionalism, and playability.

-Missions (Multiplayer and Colony Games)
 > Judged by originality and fun.  Unplayable entries receive automatic 0.

-Mods (Campaigns, Sheets Mods, EXE Hacks/Mods that alter OP2's behavior or functionality)
 > Judged by originality and extent of mod's effects on gameplay.  Color Mods and sheets mods that make the game one-sided receive automatic 0.

-Artwork (Hand-drawn or Computer-generated images, Tilesets, Music, Video)
 > Judged by quality/appeal, professionalism, and originality.  Entries using content stolen from other sources receive automatic 0.  This means no "sprite comics" or anything similar.

-Writing (Novellas)
 > Judged by creativity, fun, and professionalism.  Entries with excessive spelling and grammar issues receive automatic 0.

-Programming (Tools, Remakes, Sequels, Etc.)
 > Judged by user-friendliness and usefulness and/or fun as applicable.  Entries need not be 100% complete but must be presentable.  Trainers or any program that provides an unfair advantage during multiplayer will receive an automatic 0.

-OP2 In Other Games (OP2-themed weapons, stages, vehicles, etc. in other games)
 > Judged by faithfulness to Outpost 2 and fun.  As judges may not have the game you've modded, a video of your content in action must be provided.

-Maximum of 3 submissions per person/team.  Limit of one submission per category.
-The winners in first, second, and third from each category will be announced.  The first-place entries from each category will be compared, and a "grand champion" will be chosen from this list.
-Up to three people may enter together as a team.
-You must create something new for this contest.  Old content released before July 1, 2010 will be disqualified.  Material previously released as "Betas" or "Demos" are exempt from this rule.
-The final due date for submissions is August 15, 2010 at 12:00 PM (noon) EST.
-Winners will be chosen by public voting (popularity) and by judges looking for the specific criteria mentioned above.
-Winners will receive "People's Choice" Awards and/or "Judge's Choice" Awards.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 10:10:48 PM by Sirbomber »
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline evecolonycamander

Content Contest
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 02:00:12 PM »
if multiple people work on the project at once dose that count as a submission for each of us or as one for the person who submitted it?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 02:00:20 PM by evecolonycamander »
''The blight cant get us up here!''
-famous last words
--------------o0o--------------
Outpost 2: EoM project status: Re-planning

Offline Sirbomber

Content Contest
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 02:54:18 PM »
Read the rules.  3 submissions per person/team.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Content Contest
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 03:56:01 PM »
about a month and a half to work on it...sounds doable...I'll need to see if I can find a decent enough mapper to work with if I want to scale-up my idea, though.
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Bonk

Content Contest
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 08:35:42 PM »
Considering I can't do anything useful I'll have a crack at the Writing and the Artwork categories.

That said, don't expect anything good/anything really.

Offline AmIMeYet

Content Contest
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 04:54:26 AM »
I will at least be trying something for the Programming (Tools, Remakes, Sequels, Etc.) section.
One thing though: I'm a programmer, and not exactly a pixel artist, voice actor or music composer. Are we allowed to rip images (specifically the units and buildings), sounds and music from Outpost 2?

Offline Sirbomber

Content Contest
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2010, 08:40:26 AM »
Only if it ISN'T for an Artwork Submission.  Artwork is supposed to be something original.  Ripping sprites from OP2 and doing stuff with them doesn't cut it.  But if you just wanna use them to make a pretty GUI then yeah, that'd be nice.

Edit: If you need it, the OP2 Art Viewer is here.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 08:42:03 AM by Sirbomber »

Offline AmIMeYet

Content Contest
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2010, 09:44:34 AM »
So game sprites are okay? Cool :)
Also, thanks for that link. I thought I wasn't able to use the viewer for some reason but it worked so that's good.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Content Contest
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2010, 04:47:51 PM »
Deleted off-topic posts, this is not a place to discuss typos.

I should probably mention that in addition, all submissions need to meet the general community rules.

I specifically want to draw attention to submissions that consist of trainers or other tools to specifically facilitate cheating (including reenabling or reimplementation of the "Dan's" cheats), or malicious submissions (as far as code related submissions go).

Submitting anything that falls into these two categories will result in the removal of the submission and a ban from OPU.

Good luck with your entries!

Offline Sirbomber

Content Contest
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2010, 05:00:55 PM »
I specifically want to draw attention to submissions that consist of trainers or other tools to specifically facilitate cheating (including reenabling or reimplementation of the "Dan's" cheats), or malicious submissions (as far as code related submissions go).
That's already mentioned in the rules.  But it might not be a bad idea to drive the point home.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Content Contest
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2010, 11:46:12 PM »
yea, that way I'm not forced to start doing my job...errr...being the mean admin :P

Are we doing any size limitations on any of the categories?  Also, it might be a good idea to have artwork submissions .rar'ed in order to prevent the topic form being streatched.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 11:48:24 PM by CK9 »
CK9 in outpost
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...

Offline Simpsonboy77

Content Contest
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2010, 09:39:15 AM »
Hey I have a map idea in mind, but I'm not sure if I can make it perfect by the time August 15th comes around. What do you do about partially complete entries? I would plan on finishing it up later on.

PS. This will be my first map ever.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 09:40:18 AM by Simpsonboy77 »
My tutorials
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Offline Sirbomber

Content Contest
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2010, 09:39:54 AM »
Assuming you mean file size, then no.  However, since maps need to be playable to be eligible they need to be no larger than 512x512.

Content Contest
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2010, 01:40:17 PM »
wait.... you cant play larger maps????
-famous last words

Offline AmIMeYet

Content Contest
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2010, 01:55:41 PM »
I can use the OPU forum and files as documentation and reference, right?

Also, I can go and ask for help, right? Because I think I need some help with a small map loading related bug (that should be an icy cliff, the lava should be black dirt, and the rest should be orange.. ) in my game.

Offline Sirbomber

Content Contest
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2010, 03:55:15 PM »
Yeah, use whatever as references.  But give credit to whoever helps you/whatever sources you use and tell how much help they provided.  Basically, I don't want people to get someone else to do most of the work for them and then pass it off as their own.

Offline Zardox Xheonov

Content Contest
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2010, 08:43:31 PM »
sirbomber, i'd like to submit our colony game (outcaster starship)...

though by the time we submit it, it will still be in beta form is that ok? as long as it's playable and winnable?

although its been a beta before july 1 so i hope it can qualify.

btw i have 2 other team members... Evecolonycommander and Flashy

oh and what do you mean by submission? is it number of people per group or number of projects aloud to be submited?

cuzz hidiot might become a part of our project too (though this is uncertain).

i look forward to seeing all the content your contest gathers :)

Good luck all and may the fairest content win!
Hit me up on discord, if I am online, you know I'll be gaming.

(Lord Of Pain is no more, I am currently now "Zardox" and have been for awhile on other platforms.)

Offline Sirbomber

Content Contest
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2010, 10:42:51 PM »
Three people per team.  A submission as a team counts as a submission for that person.  So if you, ECC, and Flashy submit this as a team, you can only submit two other things (either as a team or individually).  As long as you haven't already released some kind of beta version, I'll allow your submission.  But if it's very beta (rough, buggy, etc.) it won't score well.

Offline Sirbomber

Content Contest
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2010, 09:50:04 AM »
Okay, so despite a bunch of people saying they'd do something, we only got 3 submissions (one of which is disqualified, and one of which scored very poorly, and one which I can't even figure out how to download).  Also, it's been requested that I extend this by a month or two, so now the contest will run until October 15.  That's two extra months to work on your projects, and plenty of time to start something new if you haven't done anything yet.

However, because of the extra time, there's a new rule:
Final products only please (exception: Programming submissions, as long as the beta version is pretty close to what the final will be).

As a bonus to everyone who submitted on time, I'll give you some feedback (if appropriate).
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 12:57:19 PM by Sirbomber »

Offline Zardox Xheonov

Content Contest
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2010, 03:07:47 PM »
hey sir if i knew this was coming (which i dident untill after i posted submission) i would of delayed it, may we have another chance to submit our colony when it becomes a final? cuzz we were rushed, and still have ideas planned...
Hit me up on discord, if I am online, you know I'll be gaming.

(Lord Of Pain is no more, I am currently now "Zardox" and have been for awhile on other platforms.)

Offline AmIMeYet

Content Contest
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2010, 04:46:10 PM »
Damn, sorry about that! I thought I was clear enough in my instructions, but on the next deadline I'll be sure to also include a direct zip download link ( http://github.com/AmIMeYet/OPPR/zipball/master if you still want to give it a shot (download may be slow as it actually has to pack everything in to a .zip file). main.exe to run, and arrow keys to move).

The 2 months are actually not that useful for me because I'll be going to a new school soon so I'm gonna be a bit busy, but I'll try to get as close to a finished product as I possibly can. Next up: buildings/objects and lazers  B)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 04:56:24 PM by AmIMeYet »

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
Content Contest
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2010, 06:09:30 PM »
hey sir if i knew this was coming (which i dident untill after i posted submission) i would of delayed it, may we have another chance to submit our colony when it becomes a final? cuzz we were rushed, and still have ideas planned...
Uh he kinda said that everyone has more time, so yes. And it sounds like you should probably focus on cleaning up the content you already have before you go on to implement more content.

Content Contest
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2010, 07:24:35 PM »
Yay more time! mabie we can finish the two other colonies. One witch requires no coding

edit: spellchecked
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 05:56:01 AM by evecolonycamander »
-famous last words

Offline Sirbomber

Content Contest
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2010, 09:34:38 AM »
Everyone who previously submitted forgot to resubmit.  Smooth.

Anyways, results.

Mapping
Winner: CK9 - Caught in the Crossfire 2 (map)
Score: 94/100
Comments: Although CK9 technically didn't make a submission, Arklon made a submission using his work, so I'm counting it.  Although pathfinding on this map sucks, the map itself is pretty good, with lots of varying terrain.  I especially like the "cliff transitions" which is something I've never seen done before.

Runner-Up: LordOfPain - Outcasters Starship (map)
See previous results.

Missions
Winner: Arklon - Caught in the Crossfire 2
Score: 99/100
Well, you got maximum points for creativity because of all the weird hacks you did.  That said, I remember getting owned a lot on this map, so I took a point off of your "fun" rating for that.  Seriously though, this is an amazing mission.  Everyone should play it.  Especially when I can get the Plymouth AI to stop self-jowning.

Runner-Up: Flashy/Evecolonycommander - Outcasters Starship
See previous results.

Disqualified: Angellus
See previous results.

Mods
No submissions.

Artwork
Winner: Drakmar - Modern OP2 Boxart
Drakmar's was the only submission.  It wins by default.

Writing
No submissions.  Which I'm grateful for, since the thought of having to read fanfics was terrifying.

Programming
Winner: AmIMeYet - OPRR
See previous results.

Runner-up: Arklon - ExportTable/Hook(er)Helper
Score: 59/100
Comments: While I'm sure this is great work, I think it needs more documentation so it can be more accessible to people.

Disqualified: Sirbomber - Caught in the Crossfire 2 (AI)
I can't judge my own work.  Besides, Plymouth keeps getting owned by Eden in the first 100 marks...

OP2 In Other Games
No submissions.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Content Contest
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2010, 11:00:30 AM »
Found it, and HEY!!!!!!!!  You told me that I couldn't use that map as a submission because you wanted it to be a surprise!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 11:07:01 AM by CK9 »
CK9 in outpost